Menu

I teach Art History at the college level and "Gardner's Art through the Ages" is a classic and comprehensive choice. This book definitely has a Western bias, but most Art History survey courses do too. However, the book does cover non-Western art in language that is respectful. This is the choice I am using for my DS16.

A book with less of an assumed male audience is Marilyn Stokstad's "Art History," but currently AP exams are not really based on it. Boo. It might be worth checking out of the library if you can find it. It also is sold in mini-volumes, as in just the ancient world or just the Middle Ages, if you ever want to do a more focused semester or pair it with historical studies.

Older classics are Janson's "History of Art" but it is Western art only and you'd have to supplement to learn Art History from the rest of the world.

I teach Art History at the college level and "Gardner's Art through the Ages" is a classic and comprehensive choice. This book definitely has a Western bias, but most Art History survey courses do too. However, the book does cover non-Western art in language that is respectful. This is the choice I am using for my DS16.

A book with less of an assumed male audience is Marilyn Stokstad's "Art History," but currently AP exams are not really based on it. Boo. It might be worth checking out of the library if you can find it. It also is sold in mini-volumes, as in just the ancient world or just the Middle Ages, if you ever want to do a more focused semester or pair it with historical studies.

Older classics are Janson's "History of Art" but it is Western art only and you'd have to supplement to learn Art History from the rest of the world.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review each of these books. I ordered Gardner's. I appreciate you sharing your expertise.

I used Gardner's in the intro to art history course I took in college 20 years ago. It was an approachable text that did cover architecture and non-western art. The only caveat I'd add (not having seen a more recent edition) is to find an online source for color reproductions. There were far to many black and white pictures to be your only viewing source.

DS wants to take the AP Art History exam next May. We want to do this as a self-study course. If you've done this, can you tell us what materials you used?

I'm no help, and see below that you've placed an order. Just wanted to wish your son the best.

It's too bad that the AP exams aren't based on the Stokstad text. My son's class used the second volume of a two-part version last spring. It's so beautifully done that it went into the permanent collection at the end of the semester. I'm working on an excuse to buy the first volume.

I used Gardner's in the intro to art history course I took in college 20 years ago. It was an approachable text that did cover architecture and non-western art. The only caveat I'd add (not having seen a more recent edition) is to find an online source for color reproductions. There were far to many black and white pictures to be your only viewing source.

Oh yeah, they definitely replaced black and white images with color! No worries there :)

It's too bad that the AP exams aren't based on the Stokstad text. My son's class used the second volume of a two-part version last spring. It's so beautifully done that it went into the permanent collection at the end of the semester. I'm working on an excuse to buy the first volume.

I completely agree. I adore the Stokstad text!

This is so crazy, because I just blogged about the idea of whether or not SOTW would help eventually prepare for the AP art history test. When I was in high school we used Gardner's book, but were also encouraged to buy Janson's 4th edition. So I still have Janson's History of Art even though I had to turn the other text back in.

We took a long car trip up to my parents' house last weekend and my kids and I were listening to discs 2/3/4 of SOTW Volume 1. When I flipped through the Janson's text, I saw picture after picture of what we had just listened to. It made me think that kids who have listened to SOTW repeatedly when they were little might have an eventual edge someday in high school on the AP art history test. What do you think?

This is so crazy, because I just blogged about the idea of whether or not SOTW would help eventually prepare for the AP art history test. When I was in high school we used Gardner's book, but were also encouraged to buy Janson's 4th edition. So I still have Janson's History of Art even though I had to turn the other text back in.

We took a long car trip up to my parents' house last weekend and my kids and I were listening to discs 2/3/4 of SOTW Volume 1. When I flipped through the Janson's text, I saw picture after picture of what we had just listened to. It made me think that kids who have listened to SOTW repeatedly when they were little might have an eventual edge someday in high school on the AP art history test. What do you think?

I enjoyed your blog post. I, too, have found that my old college texts come in handy in our homeschool, and I miss some that I sold back. I see on Amazon that a used 4th ed Janson's sells rather cheaply. I think I might grab one. Thanks for commenting here.

see below that you've placed an order

That never, ever stopped me from placing another order. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for telling me about these. I see some older editions that sell cheaply on Amazon. I might have to place another order. Thanks for the information and the well-wishes.

I think this is a fantastic idea! I'm all for exposure being a huge part of our learning, and multiple exposures is even better. I think it makes a subject a lot less foreign when a child begins more intense study.

I am in the middle of planning this now. We are using Gardners 11ed. I am using REA AP art history study guide as a syllabus aid. I found 2 curricula on-line that I thought were good. One from Palos Verdes High school and another one from a school in Austin (?) St. Andrews (?). Both had a nice idea of pacing and also questions and issues to be considered for each group of chapters. REA and the Palos Verdes sites are giving me an idea of which images are important. The Met. Museum of Art has pages and pages of images to look at and some thematic analyses of them. The Gardners that we have has pretty good reproductions and the REA book comes with a CD of images that I have not looked at.

My college dd (art history/philosophy major) says that it is important not to get too bogged down in technical jargon and memorization and to make assignments that stress the importance of a personal response to the art. Apparently it makes for more fun and oddly enough easier memorization.

Luann-

I also looked at 2 other Art History texts on Amazon that sound fun and interesting. They are "The Annotated Mona Lisa" and "The Annotated Architect(ure?)". I think I'll get these for a nice overall review and synthesis.

Thank you. I had ordered those, too. The Arch one arrived yesterday and it's just beautiful. I might have to read it myself. We seem to be planning the same materials. It's nice that you have your college dd helping. And thanks for all those websites in your previous post. Very helpful!

I am also interested in the Gardner book, but there are a few different editions listed on Amazon. Does it matter which one? This would also be to study for the AP exam.

Thanks!

Lesley

If you get a later edition, you should be just fine. I'd say an 11th or later is good. It's pretty different before the 11th edition. I'm sure an 11th or 12th is cheaper!

Two Questions:

Has anyone used any of the Teaching Company's DVD series to assist or as a spine for Art History?

and

Has anyone used Baron's Art History Test Prep to study for the exam, and is it useful?

I have been wondering about both these questions myself. Glad you asked. There was another thread around here somewhere in which someone, Angela in Ohio I think, matched up Barron's with Annotated Mona Lisa for a co-op class. I'll link it if I can find it. ETA: Here it is.

Edited by Luann in ID

{...}ETA: Here it is.

Thank you, Luann! The link is very useful. We own the Annotated Mona Lisa, but to be honest, I've been at something of a loss as what to do with it other than admire it and read it. Heh.

As far as the TTC is concerned, I'd like to know if their How to Look at and Understand Great Art is worth tracking down a copy of. I wish I could find some sample video of the prof to get an idea of what her style is like.

There other courses look fabulous as well, particularly the European Art History course with Professor Kloss...

• 2 months later...
Guest MasterpieceCards

The College Board, producers of AP Exams, offers some great resources about the AP Art History class, at http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/sub_art.html. This includes some sample tests and syllabi which may help guide course structure for you.

Also, I'd suggest reading some art history blogs which offer loads of free insights. My business, Masterpiece Cards, writes one that has (blush) been nationally recognized; see the BlogRoll on the right column. Here's that link:

http://www.themasterpiececards.com/famous-paintings-reviewed.

You'll also see a link to the free Famous Paintings ebook, a listing of 250 works most often cited by leading art historians, and a link to the 50 Best Art History Blog compiled by College Confidential.

Good luck!

My dd took the AP Art History test 2 years ago and scored a 5. Here's what she used:

Primary text: Gardners (I don't recall which edition and it has since left our home). There was a separately available study guide that she completed for each chapter.

The Teaching Company A History of European Art. We LOVED this course. I watched it with her. The professor was so engaging.

Supplemental/review texts toward the last month or two before the exam:

REA Prep book

The Annotated Mona Lisa

The Annotated Arch (for architecture)

After the test, she felt she had not performed well on the sections related to modern art. But I guess she did well enough on the other sections to make up for it. But if I were to have another student attempt the exam, I would do everything the same, but also look for a resource that focused on 20th century art.

• 4 months later...

(Night of the Living Thread :eek:)

First, any suggestions for a weekly study group for AP Art History? Next fall, my 10th grader wants to convene a group that follows a syllabus I'll cook up, using some version of Gardner's, maybe Annotated Mona Lisa, Masterpiece Cards, Sister Wendy or TC videos, and a prep book. She'd like it to be student-run and to focus on sharing weekly essays, using a peer grading rubric. BYOB (last "B" is for brains, books, or both).

Second: gee whiz, there are a lot of versions of Gardner's! Thoughts? Anyone use the backpack sets? I can't find a good publisher page at Cengage that makes it clear which versions are for which purposes. I'm thinking going with just one version ago, Gardner's Art Through the Ages: A Global History, 13th ed. because of the neat website.

Finally, anyone have print tests and keys they'd like to share or trade?

As far as the TTC is concerned, I'd like to know if their How to Look at and Understand Great Art is worth tracking down a copy of. I wish I could find some sample video of the prof to get an idea of what her style is like.

There other courses look fabulous as well, particularly the European Art History course with Professor Kloss...

I'm a huge fan of the TC lectures. _How to Look at_ is fabulous. It starts out with a discussion of big things to look for in art (like focal point or perspective) and ends with a big-picture overview of art history. A great introduction. I loved the prof's style but my husband fell asleep...

I watched the Kloss lectures back when my son was about 6. Although I wanted to see them just for myself, I was thrilled when my son fell in love with the lecturer and decided he wanted to watch them all as well. Kloss is quite formal and not someone you'd necessarily think a first grader would love--but he is passionate and a terrific teacher.

Best of luck! I can't wait until my 12yo is ready for AP Art History.

I ordered a study guide for Gardener's. It has the same cover as one of the older editions. I just received that. It is well written but not overly colourful. We've be waiting for the study guide to really figure out if more is needed. Looking forward to seeing how detailed the guide is.

Thank you for the other ideas.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the recommendation, HodgesSchool! I bought "How to Look at and Understand Great Art" bundled with Kloss's greatest painting hits for $139 last week. Will post experience.

Sawuk, would like to know if you think the Study Guide is worth it.

And good luck to the daughter of LuAnn in ID on the AP Art History exam tomorrow!

TiaTia-- so far we really like the study guide. We are using really old copies and they are different editions so it isn't perfect. It does appear to match much better after we get beyond the first chapters. Dd really is enjoying it and seems to be thriving on the challege-- doesn't want me to match the editions yet.

I have also found picture quizzes availiable on quizlet. She is really enjoying those.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the blog post, Emily!

To others reading this thread before September 2012, see my invitation (in a new thread) for a study group my DD is convening for the May 7, 2013 exam.

Edited by TiaTia
oops! Hit the button too soon.