Menu

Eek! Bug identification help needed...

Anyone really good at googling images? Apparently I have hundreds of little bugs in my house, and I have no idea what they are.

Backstory: MIL brought a little toy drum back for DS3 when she went to Ethiopia. It was not declared at customs. I was iffy about it, but in the chaos of that particular idea, totally forgot to do anything (I would have put it in a ziploc in the freezer for a couple weeks to kill any possible intruders). Fast forward about a month, DH finds the drum surrounded by a bunch of bug exoskeletons. Shaking the thing causes lots more to fall out. So he took it to the garage. :confused: When I got home, he showed me, and I am a little concerned.

So, any African bug experts out there? Here it is...

http://s1089.photobucket.com/albums/i353/Conner05/Ethiopian%20Bugs/

Edited by TXBeth
to add the pictures

No help from me just a :eek:. I don't think the garage is far enough away.

I agree! The picture is just of the skin with a split up the back, not the actual bug. Unfortunately, my camera won't do any better.

But.....tonight we found what we think is a centipede in our shower!!! Too much of a coincidence for me. I have found centipedes online that look like a grown-up version of this one; they are called Giant Red-headed Centipedes. :ohmy: One is native to Texas, and one is African. Doesn't help me because we live in Texas, and this stupid drum is from Ethiopia. :glare: DH and I are both a little concerned, but not sure what we should do. Do we contact our landlords, or an exterminator? Both? Neither? Aaah! I am not squeamish, but foreign bugs worry me, especially because I don't want to get MIL in trouble for not declaring the thing at customs, or get ourselves in trouble if these things infest our rental house. :001_unsure: But more than all that, I don't want my kid getting bitten by a centipede!! They scare me because the centipedes we had in Papua New Guinea could easily kill a small child with their bite.

I agree! The picture is just of the skin with a split up the back, not the actual bug. Unfortunately, my camera won't do any better.

But.....tonight we found what we think is a centipede in our shower!!! Too much of a coincidence for me. I have found centipedes online that look like a grown-up version of this one; they are called Giant Red-headed Centipedes. :ohmy: One is native to Texas, and one is African. Doesn't help me because we live in Texas, and this stupid drum is from Ethiopia. :glare: DH and I are both a little concerned, but not sure what we should do. Do we contact our landlords, or an exterminator? Both? Neither? Aaah! I am not squeamish, but foreign bugs worry me, especially because I don't want to get MIL in trouble for not declaring the thing at customs, or get ourselves in trouble if these things infest our rental house. :001_unsure: But more than all that, I don't want my kid getting bitten by a centipede!! They scare me because the centipedes we had in Papua New Guinea could easily kill a small child with their bite.

at this point I would not call either. You saw some exoskeletons (which look like beetle larvae sheddings- we had an infestation of larder beetles at my old house and they looked like that), and 1 centipede. Your landlord wouldn't do anything but laugh at this point. Keep an eye out for further bug activity. I would still seal the drum in a ziploc and freeze it kill off anything that might still be in it. Vacuum around the area the drum was in, clean in bins etc and then wait and see for a couple days. If you see any more centipedes then call but for now you have nothing to go on.