Menu

5th Graders School Year - Please advise

CowgirlKate

Hello. I have a tentative plan for my 5th grader but when I added up how much time it will take daily, it seems a bit overkill especially for this age. I anticipate about 6 hours, 4 days a week. We have co-op on the 5th day so no book studies that day.

Daily:

Classical Conversations review - 30 minutes

Reading (sonlight, Robinson, etc.) - 2 hours

Math/Logic - 45 minutes

Story of the World -45 minutes

Vocabulary - 15 minutes

Christian Light Language Arts -30 minutes

Writing - IEW -30 minutes

science - reading through apologia 30 minutes 2x/week

social studies - Children's History of the World with sonlight recommended books 30 minutes 2x/week

Please let me know what you think. Is it okay or should I trim some of it off and if so, where? I would really appreciate any input.

I'm planning about six hours (5.45, including breaks) per day to teach my three children (one is in 5th). If we need more or less time, that is fine. Fridays will be shorter days.

What does the reading consist of?

"Reading (sonlight, Robinson, etc.) - 2 hours"

Elizabeth - thanks for the thread. I will go check it out now!

Jinnah - As far as reading goes, I have the Robinson curriculum cd which lets you print off older books (they are out of copyright) and Sonlight has award winning, quality books too (fiction, history/science living books, etc.). I plan to throw in some classics that aren't in the Robinson cds.

Story of the World -45 minutes

social studies - Children's History of the World with sonlight recommended books 30 minutes 2x/week

I think the rule of thumb is one hour/day per year in school. (1st = 1 hr, 5th = 5 hrs.) Not sure where that cuts off as 11th shouldn't be 11 hrs, IMO. :tongue_smilie:

However, I noticed you are doing history (SOTW) and "social studies" (CHOW/Sonlight). If you cut back, I'd suggest you do one or the other.

Also, I suggest 30-60 minutes of assigned reading + 30 minutes of free reading vs. two hours of assigned reading per day. It looks like you are doubling up on the Sonlight books (in the Social Studies section & Reading section), but that might be just because I don't understand your SS section (are those read-alouds vs. readers?).

Just suggestions! (FWIW, my going-into-5th grader will have 5 hrs of work, 4 days per week not including reading time. So, I'm one to talk. :lol:)

Elizabeth - thanks for the thread. I will go check it out now!

Jinnah - As far as reading goes, I have the Robinson curriculum cd which lets you print off older books (they are out of copyright) and Sonlight has award winning, quality books too (fiction, history/science living books, etc.). I plan to throw in some classics that aren't in the Robinson cds.

Sounds fun! My children love to read, so I may need to look into this.

I think the rule of thumb is one hour/day per year in school. (1st = 1 hr, 5th = 5 hrs.) Not sure where that cuts off as 11th shouldn't be 11 hrs, IMO. :tongue_smilie:

However, I noticed you are doing history (SOTW) and "social studies" (CHOW/Sonlight). If you cut back, I'd suggest you do one or the other.

Also, I suggest 30-60 minutes of assigned reading + 30 minutes of free reading vs. two hours of assigned reading per day. It looks like you are doubling up on the Sonlight books (in the Social Studies section & Reading section), but that might be just because I don't understand your SS section (are those read-alouds vs. readers?).

Just suggestions! (FWIW, my going-into-5th grader will have 5 hrs of work, 4 days per week not including reading time. So, I'm one to talk. :lol:)

If you want to cut down just a little, you could choose just one (CHOW or SOTW)... unless your curriculum guide says to use both.

Either way, I think you are okay with time. You may even find that your child finishes sooner than you expect, and that is fine also.