Menu

Can someone send me some links to History Oydessy or tell me about it?

Dolphin

I found the links to the program, but I have tried to search this forum and I am not being successful. I would love to know what the ladies here think about the program. How much time do you spend on it? How much prep time vs. teach time? Other than SOTW, what are the other recommended resources like?

I am looking at volume one (4th grade) of modern history (SOTW4)

Side-note: I have almost finished planing what we will start next month:lol:

I have used HO level 1 Ancients and Middle Ages. Most days it does not take us much time at all. SOTW is one of the optional books that is scheduled in HO and we do use that. The days I read from SOTW are a little longer. I mean - however long it takes to read a chapter of SOTW.

Each lesson in the Modern Times books looks more involved than each lesson in the books we did, but there are twice as many lessons in the books we did, so I would think it would come close to evening out.

We like the Usborne book. Some of the links are great. We make reading from that the first thing we do for each lesson so as to get a general overview of what we'll be learning for that lesson.

The guides we used scheduled in coloring pages from Dover coloring books. It looks like they provide coloring pages within the guide for Modern Times though, so I have no experience with those. Two of the coloring pages are shown in the Try Before You Buy file, so you can see them.

I'm also seeing that there are writing assignments in Modern Times, but there were none in the units we did, so I have no input or opinion on those either.

All in all, I have found HO easy to use and enjoyable. I have found it to be thorough. I don't know how it compares in breadth to other programs, but I can't imagine fitting more into a year. The combination of different styles of books (an encyclopedia, SOTW, focused living books) appeals to me. I'm glad my kids get exposed to learning history from all those types of books, and it makes it feel like we're not doing the same thing everyday.

It looks like the Modern Times book assumes an older student and so is a bit more involved. Looking at it, I regretted my 2011-2012 history decision for a moment!:tongue_smilie: (Then I remembered I wanted a year of American History and that was the reason for my decision.)

I know HO has more appropriate assignments when you get into level 2...I wish we were waiting one more year for ancient history so I could do that with DS for 5th, but we want to start now. We are going to use only SOTW for the time being. Level 2 is great bc it gets into outlining, etc.