Menu

Health for 1st Grader?

carolyndsg

I'm looking for a Health text for my ds6 who will begin 1st grade next year. I'm not looking for anything indepth, just a fun basic text to give me an outline and some resources for lessons. I'm planning to use R.E.A.L. science level 1 (life science) and would like to incoporate human body lessons as appropriate with the science lessons.

I did spot "Feeling Great", Grade 1 of the Weekly Reader Staying Healthy Series. Any opinions about it?

Thank!

Carolyn

My sister and sister-in-law both highly recommended Abeka's Health, Safety and Manners. I've bought grades 1 and 2 to use for my boys this fall - looking through them, they look colorful and cover all the basics I could think of!

Horizons (Alpha Omega) just published their health series. I purchased the second grade text, so I can't tell too much about the first grade, but I was very impressed with the books I purchased. Inexpensive, colorful, easy to follow and looks to be very engaging and informative.

Melinda

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered and received the Horizons books. It is a thorough program with a well-laid out scope and sequence, but the student workbook has pages only for intermitent lessons. The teacher's manual is geared towards classroom teaching and does provide step-by-step instructions, plus lots of resources. For example, if you do not want to the classroom activity option, use a suggested book from a reading list to introduce a new topic. There are also songs included with most lessons.

Upon reflection I realized I was looking for a colorful workbook that stood alone, since this should be short easy lessons for me to implement or use along with our science curriculum. This still may work as an outline and provides some good insights on a Christian approach to health.

I'm still thinking. -- Carolyn:001_unsure:

Just an alternative view here. We don't use a formal health curriculum. Particularly in the early grades, there's nothing in there that I wouldn't teach in the course of daily life: basic hygiene, good nutrition, exercise, personal safety.

I can understand that, in schools, you get kids from a wide range of backgrounds and not all parents will have taken the time to teach these things. Also, things like hand-washing take on a greater importance when you're in a room with 25 strangers all day. But for homeschoolers, a whole curriculum for health seems like overkill to me. YMMV, of course. :)

In case you want something free, http://www.nutritionexplorations.org/educators/lessons-main.asp

We started homeschooling in first grade and I felt that we had to teach health as well, I quickly realized that I didn't. It does come up in just everyday life, what is a balanced meal, why do we brush our teeth, etc. and it can be addressed quite easily in human body studies.

THere's nothing wrong with using a text if you wish, I just thought this might help. :)

Just an alternative view here. We don't use a formal health curriculum. Particularly in the early grades, there's nothing in there that I wouldn't teach in the course of daily life: basic hygiene, good nutrition, exercise, personal safety.

I wish that worked for me! My boys, however, don't seem to take anything I say as seriously as they do from a BOOK. Maybe I should write one! :D

I understand what you are saying! I was looking at the Abeka health, safety, manners workbooks and considering them for my boys. They look like they would be no great time added to my day and my boys oddly love that kind of workbook-y busy work page type of thing. We went on a tour of an ambulance center a couple weeks ago and the boys each got a stapled pack of coloring pages with information on them and they really loved them! They colored the pages and we read the info and they took it all so seriously and got a lot out of it. In general I am not a fan of text or workbooks but for some reason my kids take it so seriously when they get info in that format.

I haven't quite decided yet but just wanted to post that I do get why you might seek out a curriculum for this type of subject.

We've had a wonderful few weeks studying health and now my kids even know where the health books are at the library. We've been able to cover lots of different topics. You can just use library books and then have them notebook what they learned. My kids know all about food groups, the pyramid, etc. now- pretty good for 4 and 6 year olds. They also enjoyed the variety of different health books available. (Be careful when you're standing in that section not to let them grab anything- some books are about s*xual abuse)

We will be using Rod and Staff Health, Safety, and Manners for Grade 1 (it is listed as Grade 2, but will be fine for us). :001_smile:

That's what we use and we like it a lot - manners, a little health, etc. It's nothing I don't teach at home, but for some reason when it's from a book the kids really latch on to it.

My sister and sister-in-law both highly recommended Abeka's Health, Safety and Manners. I've bought grades 1 and 2 to use for my boys this fall - looking through them, they look colorful and cover all the basics I could think of!

:iagree: I also use the Abeka series. I've been very happy with it, and (more importantly) my kids also enjoy it.

Another vote for Abeka's Health Safety and Manners. I used the 2nd grade book with my first grader this year. She loved it! She has become the "manners police" in our home. This is the third child I've used this with, and every time I do it there is something new I learn. Did you know that you are supposed to keep the hand you are not eating with in your lap??? Well, I get reminded daily about this one...guess I'm a slow learner. But, I still can't get my dd7 to chew with her mouth closed.:lol: Oh well.

Jill

Hi all,

Thank you for the variety of comments. You have all helped me think ponder this question as "do I need this" or "do I want this". It so helps to hear others have been in my shoes!

I was reviewing my states' requirements (MD) and saw "Health". I'm not with an umbrella school hence I will be reporting directly to the school district. I'm not overtly concerned about this in general since I was a public school teacher awhile back. Nevertheless, since this is my first "official" year, I think I was looking for a workbook to provide an outline to soothe my thorough soul! In addition, my ds also likes some workbook work and aside from Math and the Handwriting program, this may be it. I may also consider the Abeka health book. It sounds like a possiblity.

My ds is interested in safety topics (he loves fire engines, police cars, ambulances, etc.) so we often have safety discussions when a vehicle drives by or after reading his library book choices. I'm something of a cook, and am conscious of teaching nutrition and kitchen safety as part of our routine. Indeed, I do cover much of a "health curriculum" in daily life so I might just come up with an outline and use the library. Assuming of course that I make the time. :tongue_smilie:

Carolyn