Menu

s/o What are you like IRL?

Something Imp said on another thread got me thinking... what are you like IRL? Do you think you give the same impression to people you meet IRL as you give on these boards? Are you chatty in real life, and quiet here? Or the other way around? Are you outgoing? shy? generally happy and optimistic? grumpy? Do you have lots of friends? Do you have more friends here? How do you think we would see you differently if we knew you IRL than we see you here? Or would it be different at all?

Just curious!

I'm generally pretty shy, but once I warm up I talk talk talk talk talk. I think I'm pretty hilarious sometimes, usually after 11 pm. If it's after 11 and I'm not being hilarious, I'm usually being witchy. Lack of sleep does weird things to a person :glare: Back in college I used to be so fun and full of life and spunky, but having three kids kinda drained my energy. I think I'm getting a little back though, you know, now that I'm getting some sleep and all

My friends IRL would probably say that I ...

never shut up!

wear every emotion on my face.

usually say what I think (I frequently hear the phrase "tell us what you really think, Angel :lol:).

never shut up ... oh, I mentioned that one.

one would probably say I'm bubbly.

want everyone to be happy and get along.

am very opinionated and sometimes judgmental. (I am trying to work on that one).

am a total Marianne Dashwood (from Sense & Sensibility).

get bent out of shape sometimes when things don't go my way.

don't get jokes and have little common sense.

am very passionate.

can't eat sugar (or icing) as it makes me hyper (total myth that one :D).

Here on the boards I don't talk a whole lot. Even though I've been here for six years (I think) I am still unsure how much info to give out over the net and how to be "friends" over the net. I'm also afraid to give my opinions sometimes because it's hard to get the right "tone" over the computer, especially since I'm pretty darn conservative. I'd hate to say the wrong things and have everyone hate me. Silly, I know, but there it is.

I tend to be more reserved when I first meet people. However, once I get to know people I am just as chatty. I am just as blunt in real life, but it comes off better in real life due to a friendly demeanor. Things always feel more brusque online because there is no body language or tone of voice helping to convey intent.

Good question. I think I'm pretty similar. I tend to be quiet irl, watch and listen to collect information, slow to offer input unless I believe what I say is unique or worthwhile, cautious when building relationships.

IRL I am better at carrying on conversations. Here I get distracted by the number of conversations happening and forget to go back and check on threads. Perhaps that's not so different either, irl I often forget what I was saying or get distracted onto a totally different topic in a conversation.

Jean is a complete honey bun sweetie headie.

I am who I am here...once I get to know someone. The first meeting or 2, I'm very self concious.

Once I'm comfortable, heaven help you! :lol:

Heck, SpecialMama comes over and watches Wolf and I like we're performing dinner theatre. According to her, we're pretty amusing. :lol:

I'm pretty much the same here as I am in real life. I call it like I see it, don't do too much drama (mine or others), and I don't put up with too much BS.

I'm pretty much a get to the point person. Unfortunately I find myself in trouble when others aren't on the same page as I. I'm told I come across as cold or uppity, depending.

Mosaicmind, do you mind if I ask you a question? You fascinate me and I have always wondered something...so if I'm crossing a line you can just ignore me. Do you remember what your other personalities do? Or are you just missing chunks of time and situations?

I *think* the people who know me IRL would say my on-line persona is very similar. About the only difference is that I air my opinions more freely on-line than IRL. I speak more freely on here, because the repercussions of someone disagreeing or outright disliking me don't affect me much on-line, but they would IRL.

I'm an introvert, but I can play friendly and open when necessary. I'm creative and pretty cerebral; I'm not that physical of a person. I'm an "idea girl." I live to think, analyze, solve problems, read, understand, learn, create something. Most people IRL would probably say that, too. My love of books and knowledge is already well-known as people will say, "Ask Danielle; she probably has a book about it." :D

I'm shy at first, irl. Once I find a common ground with someone, I open up fairly quickly. I have a firm wall though too. I get annoyed with certain attitudes and unfortunately, it's hard for me to keep that to myself...my facial expressions give me away nearly every time. I'm very opinionated but I don't always tell a person what I'm really thinking. My closest friends know my thoughts and probably get a little annoyed at times. ;)

I used to be more open about my opinions online but the last presidential election pretty much nipped that one in the bud. I still read a lot of threads here but typically only post on threads where I feel I have something to offer that hasn't already been shared.

I think that question would be better answered by one of the board members who know me. I have no idea what I'm like IRL! (Oblivious, obviously. . . )

:iagree:

I think I'm the same, but I might not be. I don't know, really. Maybe a bit quieter IRL? I do try to be the same.

I'm awesome, of course. :D

I'm the same anywhere you find me: here, FB, or real life. I'm loud, sarcastic, friendly, talkative, honest, and I have a crude sense of humor and horrible potty mouth.

Yep, pretty darn awesome.

Oh, and modest. Totally modest. heehee

I am far more cautious online. I am aware that what I type can be seen by an unlimited number of people and be found and quoted for years to come. In person, I will blab your ears off since I don't have time to censor myself. I am genuinely upbeat and optimistic and a little sarcastic and I have a hard time keeping my very strong opinions to myself.

Quiet at first, then I talk too much. People generally love me or don't :). I'm extremely persuasive, sometimes to a fault, I *try* to keep my opinion to myself. I generally try to spend my time and energy with people I like and have common interests and have little patience with others, although I can make small talk. I am honest to a fault but have finally learned to be superficial with family and others. My friends all appreciate that as one of my best qualities. I tend to be a leader, although I'm working on being submissive more. I can be an arrogant jerk but also really can empathize with others.

Interesting!! I think the internet does make us bolder and gives us more courage to say what we are thinking sometimes!

Very true!! I'm much more quiet IRL. But I think it's because I'm not good at small talk. I'm not good at small talk on here either. However I can get on a soapbox both here and there particularly when I'm one-on-one. I don't do large groups, IRL. I probably tend to the verbiose in both worlds too but learning to self-edit is different when typing than when right in the moment. Trying to learn both skills. :001_smile:

I think I come across friendlier in real life than online.

I am far more cautious online. I am aware that what I type can be seen by an unlimited number of people and be found and quoted for years to come. In person, I will blab your ears off since I don't have time to censor myself. I am genuinely upbeat and optimistic and a little sarcastic and I have a hard time keeping my very strong opinions to myself.

:lol: Yep, I lack censoring ability and tact - thanks to 7 years in the US Army. Thanks, Army!

I think I'm more outgoing in real life. I talk a lot, am louder than my friends, laugh a lot, joke a lot, am very sarcastic, riddled with anxiety;), stress out easily, more logical than emotional (though that would seem to contradict my anxiety), hate sitting at home, immature in the "doing silly things" sort of way....none of this translates into my online persona.

I also wanted to add that how I come across depends a LOT on my health at the time. Recently I ran into a couple of friends who I hadn't seen for 7 years. Both of them were shocked (in a good way) at how much I had changed as my health has improved. Both of them said almost the same thing about how I speak - I didn't realize that when I was super sick (a semi-invalid) that I spoke reeeeeeeaaaaaaaalllllllllly slowly, and often forgot the end of my sentence before I got there. Now they are amazed at how fast I speak - which is just a normal rate! I'm also more outgoing and friendly now that I have the energy to smile:001_smile:

I tend to be more reserved when I first meet people. However, once I get to know people I am just as chatty. I am just as blunt in real life, but it comes off better in real life due to a friendly demeanor. Things always feel more brusque online because there is no body language or tone of voice helping to convey intent.

Yup. :iagree:

I'm pretty much my polar opposite in real life. On the board, I love to jump into any thread and respond, etc. In real life, I'm the one who is very shy, sits away from people, and just listens in. I'm not stuck up, I promise LOL. I'm just very, very shy. However, if I know you *extremely* well (I'm talking being around you a lot for years) then I'm a total nut. My family thinks I'm one fry short of a happy meal.

Edited by ChristusG

I'm pretty introverted and quiet in real life. I'm also sarcastic, but tend to keep my comments to myself unless I know the person I'm around appreciates that kind of humor.

Once I get to know people I'll open up, usually just enough to put my foot in my mouth.

Pretty much the same. I would have to say the only difference is when a controversial topic comes up, I tend to watch more. I have many strong opinions, but I just love you all so much and I don't want anyone to think I am judgemental. Just b/c I have opinions doesn't mean I want to force them on others. KWIM?

As for what others think about me: obnoxious, loud, talkative, and intense are words that have been used to describe me. Strange, when I hear those adjectives, I think of my father. :001_huh:

:D

[Oh, I am also someone who really wants to be liked too. :tongue_smilie:]

Mosaicmind, do you mind if I ask you a question? You fascinate me and I have always wondered something...so if I'm crossing a line you can just ignore me. Do you remember what your other personalities do? Or are you just missing chunks of time and situations?

For many, many years I never knew what they did. I missed alot of time, which is scary as hell. Now, that I have learned to become co-conscious I know when they are out what they do and such. I can still not to be co-conscious and in some stressful situations I do switch without realizing it and lose time.

I have missed most of my life up until about 5 years ago. I find it hard to deal with learning about a life that I never really lived, iykwim?

Pretty much the same. I would have to say the only difference is when a controversial topic comes up, I tend to watch more. I have many strong opinions, but I just love you all so much and I don't want anyone to think I am judgemental. Just b/c I have opinions doesn't mean I want to force them on others. KWIM?

As for what others think about me: obnoxious, loud, talkative, and intense are words that have been used to describe me. Strange, when I hear those adjectives, I think of my father. :001_huh:

:D

[Oh, I am also someone who really wants to be liked too. :tongue_smilie:]

I like you already ;)

I'm pretty introverted and quiet in real life. I'm also sarcastic, but tend to keep my comments to myself unless I know the person I'm around appreciates that kind of humor.

Once I get to know people I'll open up, usually just enough to put my foot in my mouth.

Heh, I'm sarcastic too. I really like snarky sarcasm. It's terrible, but I instantly have these thoughts and I have to bite my tongue all the time.

Feel free to share your sarcasm with me. I've a dry sarcastic humor, too, and unless you know me, don't realize what I'm saying is a total joke.

Feel free to share your sarcasm with me. I've a dry sarcastic humor, too, and unless you know me, don't realize what I'm saying is a total joke.

Oh, a trio! Make sure you screen name is on your name tag. Perhaps we need to carry around real emoticons so others will know when we're just kidding.

:tongue_smilie: <-- this one would be for kidding.

:001_smile: <---- this one means I'm enjoying myself I just don't know what to say.

:lol: <----- this one could mean you're really funny, or I've had too much to drink, don't let me drive home.

:001_huh: <---- this one for oh carp I thought you were another poster and now I've just stuck my foot in my mouth

I'm very quiet IRL. I think those who met me at the Valley Forge conference probably thought I wouldn't be so quiet (some said so :lol:).

But really nobody should have been all that surprised because as I've said I'm very introverted. So it's not a shyness per se, it's just that I prefer certain situations over others.

Otherwise I think I'm the same.

I didn't say so then, but I will agree to it now.

I think I bounded up to you, "Oh, you're WendyK! Hi! I'm Gailmegan!" And you said, "Oh. Hi." I thought I overwhelmed you. But I can be really loud when excited. hehehe

I completely understand being shy in certain situations. :001_smile:

Darn. I thought I had finally figured out who that was.

I'm with you on that. I had one lovely conversation and can not for the life of me remember the name (or screen name here if she gave it.) It's making me crazy because I want to tell her how much I enjoyed meeting her. Ugh!

I'm very quiet IRL. I think those who met me at the Valley Forge conference probably thought I wouldn't be so quiet (some said so :lol:).

But really nobody should have been all that surprised because as I've said I'm very introverted. So it's not a shyness per se, it's just that I prefer certain situations over others.

Otherwise I think I'm the same.

This does surprise me! But at the same time, I had a suspicion that this was what most people would say. This forum is great when you are an introvert. Introverts have such wonderful thoughts, as they spend a lot of time "inside themselves" - so to speak. But they are often uncomfortable sharing all those thoughts face to face. This is a great way for us to share what is going on inside our heads in our alone space - on our couch, inside our houses, not looking into everyone's face.