Menu

How long have TWTM boards been online?

I don't remember it being in the book but the date sounds right.

Ah, Jean, you might be the best timetable for me to track my time here, lol. I believe you were Quiverof7 when I joined. Could that be correct?

Ah, Jean, you might be the best timetable for me to track my time here, lol. I believe you were Quiverof7 when I joined. Could that be correct?

Hmm could have been. I do think it was 0f8 though because our 8th was born in September 1999, but we didn't start homeschooling until September 2001. I was researching the year before, so I don't know. I can't remember LOL

Edited by Quiver0f10

I homeschooled for a partial year in 1996, then started homeschooling full time in 1999 (researching in 1998 and teaching small group math classes to homeschoolers out of my house--those GREAT kids were a huge inspiration to me!). I started out on VegSource then moved to WTM after that board became too judgmental.

When I started homeschooling my husband told me that next I would be donning a denim jumper, going barefoot and having more kids! (He was joking). In 2001 I became pg with dd3 and the only maternity outfit that was comfortable was a DENIM JUMPER. My feet were so swollen that I went barefoot...we still laugh about this!

I homeschooled for over 12 years. It is hard to believe that we are graduating dd2 off next week then sending her away to college. Having 2 kids in college is going to HURT financially (no financial aid). At this point we do not plan on homeschooling youngest dd unless something goes wrong in PS-- so far she has had an excellent experience there... but we would not hesitate to pull her out if things change. We have no neighbors within 7 miles that have kids, no family within 1.5 hours drive (and they "don't do kids"), no co-ops within an hour... and I need to work to pay for college expenses! I really really do not want to go back to teaching in PS (loved the kids but HATED the admin junk).

I do plan on 'Afterschooling' youngest dd...at least in Math and literature! I may visit these boards on occasion, but I will be weaning myself off of them since I won't be a 'real' homeschooler anymore!

Edited by Jann in TX

I homeschooled for a partial year in 1996, then started homeschooling full time in 1999 (researching in 1998 and teaching small group math classes to homeschoolers out of my house--those GREAT kids were a huge inspiration to me!). I started out on VegSource then moved to WTM after that board became too judgmental.

When I started homeschooling my husband told me that next I would be donning a denim jumper, going barefoot and having more kids! (He was joking). In 2001 I became pg with dd3 and the only maternity outfit that was comfortable was a DENIM JUMPER. My feet were so swollen that I went barefoot...we still laugh about this!

I homeschooled for over 12 years. It is hard to believe that we are graduating dd2 off next week then sending her away to college. Having 2 kids in college is going to HURT financially (no financial aid). At this point we do not plan on homeschooling youngest dd unless something goes wrong in PS-- so far she has had an excellent experience there... but we would not hesitate to pull her out if things change. We have no neighbors within 7 miles that have kids, no family within 1.5 hours drive (and they "don't do kids"), no co-ops within an hour... and I need to work to pay for college expenses! I really really do not want to go back to teaching in PS (loved the kids but HATED the admin junk).

I do plan on 'Afterschooling' youngest dd...at least in Math and literature! I may visit these boards on occasion, but I will be weaning myself off of them since I won't be a 'real' homeschooler anymore!

Noooooooooo!

Ok...this post pulls me right off of the sidelines! I have been here since 1999, but virtually never post on the "new forums" although I did more frequently on the old one. Our family moved (a whopping 13 miles) at the end of January 2008, right about the time of the board format transition and I just never really resurfaced, although I have read and kept up daily for over a decade. For the record, :tongue_smilie: I know FloridaLisa IRL! Of our three daughters, one is now a Jr in college, one will be a Fr in college in a few weeks, and the last kiddo left at home will be a Jr in high school.

I too remember when Quiverof7 had to change her screen name! Those were the days of Kolbi, (and back when Lisa in Jax was a regular poster), likewise MFS, Robin in TX, LuJuana, Tina in Ouray, Devin, and Ria was developing a science curriculum (in addition to schooling six kiddos) I seem to recall. All of the posters who have chimed in have indeed "been here forever." :001_smile:

Ria, you once sent me some inspirational photos of your then schoolroom/sunroom and also of your pool that you converted to a salt filtration system. They were truly lovely. You may or may not remember that my DH has (and my father had) the same employer as your father did.:tongue_smilie: We shall see what happens at the next upcoming board...I need to PM you. So good to see you back!

Jen

I read TWTM in preparing to homeschool my oldest (now 16). I got online when my youngest was a baby (He's 12 now).

I was "here" pretty early on; one of the originals. TWTM boards exploded in population when Vegsource imploded melted down as a homeschooling support community.

10-12 years. I've been Joanne (insert some geography ) or the Happy Homeschooler.

I read TWTM in preparing to homeschool my oldest (now 16). I got online when my youngest was a baby (He's 12 now).

I was "here" pretty early on; one of the originals. TWTM boards exploded in population when Vegsource imploded melted down as a homeschooling support community.

10-12 years. I've been Joanne (insert some geography ) or the Happy Homeschooler.

Oh yeah! I forgot all about vegsource! I used to go on there back in 2000 I think. I started on WTM boards about 2003.

Honestly, I have no clue. I know I posted for at least a few years prior to the new (current) website format. Anyone remember?

I joined in 2000, and I'm sure I found out about it from the '99 book. I posted as "Diane in Phoenix" back in the day, but back then the kids were little and I had more time to be on the boards. Now it's more of a hit-and-run kind of thing. :tongue_smilie:

I thought the same thing but I find it hard to believe that I have been here that long. I don't think I started posting until '03 or '04. I lurked for awhile before that but I didn't realize that it was that long.

I had no idea I had been around pretty much since the beginning! I did change my name a couple of times. I don't even remember what I used. I had so much fun staying up extremely late being silly. These boards gave me a group of women (mostly) who were in a similar place as me. I knew only one other person irl who homeschooled. I was a VegSource switcher, but it was before it got really bad there.

I just had an epiphany... Folks, we're just not thinking this through (fuzzy brain here for sure!) How many of us can vividly remember all the Y2K board threads/hype/quasi drama that was running rampant way back then? Hence, we had to have been here prior to that event!:tongue_smilie:

I wish I could remember when I started reading the boards. I remember one of my first posts, but I had been reading for some time before putting it up. I wish that I had saved it. It was about teaching history to my DD early as a way of getting there first with my version, so that 'She will be ready' when she hears the stuff that was so shocking to me in college. I've tried to find it in the wayback machine, but to no avail.

I think that some of my best writing is on these boards, and most of it is pretty much gone forever. Maybe I should have blogged instead, but I like to be in dialogue and community more than pontificating.

I was Elisabeth in IL on the old board as well as on this board. I was mostly a lurker until the new boards came out and I wanted to up my standing to a Queen Bee or whatever. It was a challenge to keep up with some of the regulars. I didn't succeed!!! :-) I think I started reading the boards in 2000 or possibly 2001.

I am not one of the originals but have been here for a lot longer than I realized! I was shopping for my 12yo's Phonics Museum when I stumbled on here. That would have been about 8 years ago! Wow, I would have guessed 5....but not 8. OY! It was the old format, and I had a different user name at the time. I changed to Tap, tap, tap when I started participating more often than lurking.

I was a regular at VegSource--can't even remember my posting name, though--until they started banning people left and right (not sure when that was). I somehow got banned--never really understood why--something about my IP address??? Then I became a regular at TeachingMom.com for awhile until a couple of very opinionated posters started sniping at another poster & then other people started getting involved. Then I found the old WTM boards. I even liked the old format, although I was never, ever first! I think I was 2nd or 3rd once though. :D I lurked for quite some time before finally settling in. I cannot remember when that was.

I was a regular at VegSource--can't even remember my posting name, though--until they started banning people left and right (not sure when that was). I somehow got banned--never really understood why--something about my IP address??? Then I became a regular at TeachingMom.com for awhile until a couple of very opinionated posters started sniping at another poster & then other people started getting involved. Then I found the old WTM boards. I even liked the old format, although I was never, ever first! I think I was 2nd or 3rd once though. :D I lurked for quite some time before finally settling in. I cannot remember when that was.

Does TeachingMom still exist? I miss (some) of TeachingMom. Not the stuff you mentioned. :lol:

I think I showed up here sometime in 2002. I had discovered the SL forums in 2001 and someone there gave some WTM info. Katherine B. in TX? Cathi in Hawaii? Brenda in MA? Tammye? And the FlypaperLady? Wasn't Ria (Maria) there, too? I'll bet I have some posts with some homemaking tips printed out somewhere ...

Wonder where they are now?

I also spent time at TeachingMom and VegSource and the Maxwell's old forum. Was it Proverbs 31? I think this site (WTM) stuck with me because of the diversity.

A lot has changed since then.

I've been through a few name transformations before landing on one that identified me and my region of the country.

Honestly, I have no clue. I know I posted for at least a few years prior to the new (current) website format. Anyone remember?

Yes, 1999 is right. I started perusing the boards late in 1999 and started posting in early 2000. Math was the subject I needed advice about then because the boys were naturally talented in math and they were eating up ABeka math books. Singapore math was recommended and it was a hit here! I purchased all the necessary Primary Mathematics books from Singapore and they traveled on the slow boat in a plain brown paper wrapper and string. I can't believe they made it intact! And I think, with the exchange rate, I spent less than $100 for all the years for all the boys :D

With that good advice, I decided that this was the place for me ;)

Does TeachingMom still exist? I miss (some) of TeachingMom. Not the stuff you mentioned. :lol:

Yes, it does still exist. This thread prompted me to go and check. I even tried to log in, but I couldn't remember my old user name. :D I was able to do a search, though, but I found no posts at all by any of the people I remember snarking at each other. I did see a few names I remember fondly, including the poster who used to post hymn lyrics and invite the "choir" to sing along. I do miss that part.

Can't remember when I started coming to the WTM forum. I read WTM around 2000, so around then. I think I only posted once or twice on the old format, but I was a regular lurker. I felt like I didn't have enough experience or didn't say things the right way, that's why I didn't post much. (I'm the same way IRL.) Plus the boards moved soooooo quickly! This new format suits me better.

I also used to regularly lurk at the SL forums (before they went private) and CHFWeb (which I'd completely forgotten the name of until just a few days ago; I think it was mentioned in the troll thread?). Oh, and I tried out The Homeschool Library but I got more involved here, so I haven't become part of the community there.

I remember Katherine B in TX and her famous memory work system. And Tina in Ouray was the logic master. Those are the only ones that I can think of right now.

I read Vegsource for a long time, but did not post often, because I was always afraid I would be randomly banned. About the time Vegsource imploded, someone posted about their favorite curriculum and resources. She linked to WTM and TeachingMom. I gave up Vegsource and have been lurking/sometimes posting every since.

I think I showed up here sometime in 2002. I had discovered the SL forums in 2001 and someone there gave some WTM info. Katherine B. in TX? Cathi in Hawaii? Brenda in MA? Tammye? And the FlypaperLady? Wasn't Ria (Maria) there, too? I'll bet I have some posts with some homemaking tips printed out somewhere ...

Wonder where they are now?

I also spent time at TeachingMom and VegSource and the Maxwell's old forum. Was it Proverbs 31? I think this site (WTM) stuck with me because of the diversity.

A lot has changed since then.

I've been through a few name transformations before landing on one that identified me and my region of the country.

I was on vegsource and Titus2 too before I found WTM.

Can't remember when I started coming to the WTM forum. I read WTM around 2000, so around then. I think I only posted once or twice on the old format, but I was a regular lurker. I felt like I didn't have enough experience or didn't say things the right way, that's why I didn't post much. (I'm the same way IRL.) Plus the boards moved soooooo quickly! This new format suits me better.

I also used to regularly lurk at the SL forums (before they went private) and CHFWeb (which I'd completely forgotten the name of until just a few days ago; I think it was mentioned in the troll thread?). Oh, and I tried out The Homeschool Library but I got more involved here, so I haven't become part of the community there.

I remember Katherine B in TX and her famous memory work system. And Tina in Ouray was the logic master. Those are the only ones that I can think of right now.

I used to post a little on CHFWeb too.

Dd was born Feb 1998 and I remember nursing her and reading the boards at the same time, so it was probably sometime mid-98. I was just PameLA back then because we lived in New Orleans. When we moved back to VA, I added the PameLA in VA to my sig.

I used to participate ALOT back in the early years. In fact, when I first started reading and posting, dc were baby dd and 1 yo ds. I thought the time would never arrive when we'd actually start school and I could use all the cool curricula I was reading about. Now I can't believe they are 13 and almost 15 (8th and 9th).

I wish I could read and post more often, but just don't have the time. I still value the opinions and wisdom found on this board and it's the reason why I'm here more now that dc are starting high school work.

Fun thread! I remember LOTs of the the "old" names and am glad to see you still here.

Blessings,

Pamela F. in VA