Menu

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And after the drama about the rooms!!!

Sorry, I know this is frustrating (before we moved here we had 5 owners back out!!! ) I just knew it was God helping me find the perfect place for us. One never knows what HE knows, there could have been something terrible or maybe there is something better.

Lara

Could you send us the real estate webpage link to pictures of house so we can drool over it?

Real estate transfers are a source of endless frustration. When we were selling our previous home, the first person who looked put a contract on it. A day before closing, his financing fell through. Over the next few months, there were 3 more scheduled closings for different buyer that were postponed.

Something smells rotten in Denmark. It stinks of troll. Just sayin'.

Huuuuh? A mom with 17 kids whose 16 yo DD graduates with 29 high school credits yet doesn't have a plan for the next step in her education whose DH was also a 16 yo homeschooled high school graduate but is now a doctor who supports his family in the middle of nowhere, MI and can afford a 10 bedroom house but then when people want to see pictures of it, the house sale unfortunately falls thru and there isn't even an online listing to drool over?

You think troll? Hmmmmm...

Huuuuh? A mom with 17 kids whose 16 yo DD graduates with 29 high school credits yet doesn't have a plan for the next step in her education whose DH was also a 16 yo homeschooled high school graduate but is now a doctor who supports his family in the middle of nowhere, MI and can afford a 10 bedroom house but then when people want to see pictures of it, the house sale unfortunately falls thru and there isn't even an online listing to drool over?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5525283

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5535-Dixon-Trail-Rd_Hidden-Hills_CA_91302_M15779-96914?source=hp

C'mon - plenty of uber big properties on those links -- just pick one. Things here on the board are slow -- we can drool over anything.:drool5:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5525283

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5535-Dixon-Trail-Rd_Hidden-Hills_CA_91302_M15779-96914?source=hp

C'mon - plenty of uber big properties on those links -- just pick one. Things here on the board are slow -- we can drool over anything.:drool5:

Not in the city she gave.

I may pedal slowly, but eventually I get there! :lol:

It did cros's my mind that a lot of the board's button's were being pushed.

To be honest, I've been smelling troll for awhile now.

Just didn't want to say anything b/c it sounds so...so mean.

But now it's just over the top, kwim? :glare:

Glad I'm not the only one!

The list of kids' names/nicknames just dinged "off" to me.

Glad I'm not the only one!

The list of kids' names/nicknames just dinged "off" to me.

:lol::lol::lol:

I would never have the time to write out everyone's names if I had that many kids. I have a fraction of the number the OP has, and you can look below and see how I've handled it. ;) And, fwiw, I am always calling DD12 by DD32's name AND both DH and I (for some unknown reason) are always calling DD10 by the dog's name (I know, it's terrible but I kid you not) and I am always calling DS10 by DD31's name. :tongue_smilie:

Hi!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to join the forums, i started reading them and i got sucked into joining

I live in a city called Hubbard Lake in Michigan, and our house is on the lake

None of the kid's have ever gone to public school, the main reason when we started homeschooling was because the closest school was an hour away! But now i would never imagine sending them to school.

We are Christians..

We've used a lot of Styles, we've even "unschooled"!

But since we found MFW we stick with it. (all though we add our own science "themes" on top of the science)

We don't do "grades levels", as soon as they get to Algebra 1 & Language Arts Grade 9 the next year they start High school.

For Math they do CLE and then TT when the start TT depends.

For Language Arts we do a variety of things depending on the child, CLE & LLATL are the majority.

The kid's ages/names are in the signature

I look forward to getting to know you as i read your posts!

A 16 year old move out & go to community college?

She's done all the high school work, I've assigned. I wouldn't even know what classes to have her do anymore? She's taken math up to Christian Stewardship (from MUS),

She's taken all the science courses

Biology

Chemistry

Physics

Advanced Biology

Advanced Physics

She's taken all the history classes

World Geography

World History

American History

Economics (.5)

Government (.5)

She's taken 4 year's of English & Bible. And she has 6 Electives.

I'm not sure.. it's about an Hour away, so she could drive there.

Or do something else for a year? Or maybe take a year off?

Ethan is moving out and going there this year too, and Bridget lives about 10 minutes from the college & her fiance goes to it..

Thanks for any idea's/ thoughts

-------------------------------------------------------------------

These are the posts that had me: :confused:

What's with the "uncessary quotes" around grade levels? In that whole first post, for that matter?

And what are ALL the sciences and ALL the history courses? And why do they have bullet points in front of them? They look copied and pasted from somewhere.

ETA: The bullet points didn't work when I copied these. I don't know how to quote between threads.

Edited by unsinkable

Something smells rotten in Denmark. It stinks of troll. Just sayin'.

Yep. It reeks something terrible.

:lol:

Like newspapers aren't all online now. Geez.:tongue_smilie:

Hi!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to join the forums, i started reading them and i got sucked into joining

I live in a city called Hubbard Lake in Michigan, and our house is on the lake

None of the kid's have ever gone to public school, the main reason when we started homeschooling was because the closest school was an hour away! But now i would never imagine sending them to school.

We are Christians..

We've used a lot of Styles, we've even "unschooled"!

But since we found MFW we stick with it. (all though we add our own science "themes" on top of the science)

We don't do "grades levels", as soon as they get to Algebra 1 & Language Arts Grade 9 the next year they start High school.

For Math they do CLE and then TT when the start TT depends.

For Language Arts we do a variety of things depending on the child, CLE & LLATL are the majority.

The kid's ages/names are in the signature

I look forward to getting to know you as i read your posts!

A 16 year old move out & go to community college?

She's done all the high school work, I've assigned. I wouldn't even know what classes to have her do anymore? She's taken math up to Christian Stewardship (from MUS),

She's taken all the science courses

Biology

Chemistry

Physics

Advanced Biology

Advanced Physics

She's taken all the history classes

World Geography

World History

American History

Economics (.5)

Government (.5)

She's taken 4 year's of English & Bible. And she has 6 Electives.

I'm not sure.. it's about an Hour away, so she could drive there.

Or do something else for a year? Or maybe take a year off?

Ethan is moving out and going there this year too, and Bridget lives about 10 minutes from the college & her fiance goes to it..

Thanks for any idea's/ thoughts

These are the posts that had me: :confused:

What's with the "uncessary quotes" around grade levels? In that whole first post, for that matter?

And what are ALL the sciences and ALL the history courses? And why do they have bullet points in front of them? They look copied and pasted from somewhere.

Ok, I am seeing things a little bit clearer now.

Maybe I am real naive...but what if she's not a troll and this thread will hurt her feelings?

Maybe I should look up troll signs or something.....

You're not naive.

And if Anna Marie is really real and all the details she gave are true and accurate, the first thing I want to do is apologize.

Then next thing I want to do is teach her about apostrophes.

I was thinking exaggeration/bragging more than troll but the house thing did get to me. I live in an area with some HUGE houses - lakefront, 4,000/5,000 square feet although usually only 4 or 5 bedrooms. They sell for over a million dollars usually. Now, I know I'm in a high COL area but still - if the bedroom she described was the smallest, she was talking about 2,000 square feet in just bedrooms. Either they are extremely wealthy (do jobs pay that much in Michigan???) or.... I asked about the square footage and she quoted part of my question but never answered that.

And I agree, home listings are pretty much always online nowadays. Especially very expensive, lakefront homes where you want to attract buyers from outside the area. Not the kind of home someone's going to buy based on driving by and seeing the sign.

:lol::lol::lol:

I would never have the time to write out everyone's names if I had that many kids. I have a fraction of the number the OP has, and you can look below and see how I've handled it. ;) And, fwiw, I am always calling DD12 by DD32's name AND both DH and I (for some unknown reason) are always calling DD10 by the dog's name (I know, it's terrible but I kid you not) and I am always calling DS10 by DD31's name. :tongue_smilie:

I only have 3 kids and I do this all the time. Including using the dog's name.

I was thinking exaggeration/bragging more than troll but the house thing did get to me. I live in an area with some HUGE houses - lakefront, 4,000/5,000 square feet although usually only 4 or 5 bedrooms. They sell for over a million dollars usually. Now, I know I'm in a high COL area but still - if the bedroom she described was the smallest, she was talking about 2,000 square feet in just bedrooms. Either they are extremely wealthy (do jobs pay that much in Michigan???) or.... I asked about the square footage and she quoted part of my question but never answered that.

She told me it was 11,000 sq ft.

It must be a NJ thing! :lol:

I was born and raised in NJ.:D

Could be. :D My mother used to do it all the time and there were only 2 of us. She always talks about her mother not even bothering to figure out the right name - just pointing at someone - "you, you do it". Of course, mom was one of 9 so its a little more justified.

And who would have an 11,000 sqft house to sell and then back out of the sale??

Our last house was large..it was owned by a custom builder who couldn't stop building! LOL We bought it as a foreclosure when he lost his business and it had 9 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms.

It took us over 6 months to sell it and that was at the hayday of the housing market in 2006 because .. who needs a 9 bedroom house? We were lucky to finally sell it to an extended family (mom & dad - 4 kids - and in-laws living with them).

Certainly in this housing market, a seller would jump at the opportunity.

AND both DH and I (for some unknown reason) are always calling DD10 by the dog's name (I know, it's terrible but I kid you not)

I believe you! Don't think only children are immune to being called by the wrong name. I've been known to call ds by the dog's name and vice versa. In my defense, their names start with the same letter. :lol::lol:

I found two 11,000 square foot houses in Michigan. One was a funeral home. The other only had 6 bedrooms but it was a lakefront. Selling for $1.8 million.

Edited to add: We are rebuilding our house but because we are waiting on appraisals I'm kind of obsessed with the current housing market. I have access to MLS listings through a family member. I found the 6 bedroom through there. I found the funeral home by googling.

Edited by dottieanna29

I believe you! Don't think only children are immune to being called by the wrong name. I've been known to call ds by the dog's name and vice versa. In my defense, their names start with the same letter. :lol::lol:

It's not just me! Son, Jon, and dog, Jake, are always getting messed up! :lol:

The thing about that part of Michigan is that it has collapsed financially. I was utterly SHOCKED at housing prices up there. When I was a kid 30 years ago, you had zero chance of getting a home on the water up there unless it had been in your family or you would pay $1 million for 100 feet of lake frontage.

DH and I joked that if he had taken a job at Cheboygan's hospital, that we could have simply bought the whole darn town for $100. We saw 1000 feet along the lake for about $200,000 last year. It was unbelievable to us.

So a mega mansion in that area is entirely possible but if it's been bought less than say 10 years ago, it's completely underwater and no one who owns it is dreaming of a better one. And it isn't going to sell right now. We have friends in Cheboygan who have been trying to sell their homes for 5 YEARS.

And most of the hospitals in that region are under a great deal of flux and stress so banks are nervous about loans and people are nervous about investing more money in an area they may not be able to stay in.

I found two 11,000 square foot houses in Michigan. One was a funeral home. The other only had 6 bedrooms but it was a lakefront. Selling for $1.8 million.

Yes, I would say 10 bedrooms is quite unusual. Certainly not impossible, but then again I have not seen many 11,000 sq ft houses! :lol:

Could you imagine cleaning such a monstrosity! That's like 6 'normal houses' in one :001_huh:. Of course if you can buy a multimillion dollar house, then you would probably hire someone (or a few someones :tongue_smilie:) to clean it for you. Oh, wait, I forget, that is where the 17 kids come in, right? :lol: