Menu

Who is taking your son/daughter to school for the first time ...

Cindy in C-ville

I think it's great that you are taking an extra special day as you drop her off. Then you can buy a case of kleenex for the way home! Dd is attending a local college for her senior year of high school and we are going on vacation during her week of orientation :leaving: :lol: She is going to live at home. ;)

Middle dd is going away for college-- Texas A&M Corpus Christi (thank goodness she is not an AGGIE!).

We leave on August 16. DD reports at 8am on August 17 for 'Island Days'-- a freshman thing where they stay off campus and play 'Survivor'-type games as a way to make new friends. She will return to campus Friday, August 19 after dinner.

Her dorm opens at 9am on August 17!

DH and I have the 'job' of moving her into the dorm while she is gone. Actually this is probably the BEST way to go considering this particular child!

We will unpack, hang pictures, hang curtains and stock her fridge/pantry. She is in a private room but shares a bath with another girl. School furnishes a mini-fridge (with separate freezer door!) and microwave. Each floor has a kitchen and a washer/dryer (cost included so no need for quarters!). DD plans on making most of her meals.

Since dd will not be with us when we set her room up, DH and I plan on hiding 'goodies' all over her room with little notes attached. We will e-mail her 'clues' every few days...

We will take dd out to dinner the evening of the 16th...but nothing really special planned other than the hidden goodies/notes.

---

My parents moved away 3 weeks before I left for college the first time... I had to find a place to stay until the dorms opened (I got 3 hours notice--Hey Jann, wake up we are moving today--get your things together and find a friend to stay with!). They never saw my first dorm room. They moved about 45 minutes from campus so I did go home several weekends each month. My parents LOVED me very much--but lots of 'life' happened that summer/year!

My best friend helped me move into my dorm. I married him the next year!

My ds is going to University of Central Florida in 2 weeks. Dorms open on the 19th. It is coming up fast. We have some of his supplies but plan on getting most of what he will need when we get there.

I'm going to make him a special cake and we'll all go out to eat at his fave restaurant the night before. UCF is about 2.5 hrs away so it isn't so bad. It is close to Disney World so we'll see him when we go there. We have annual tickets. I'm still sad that he won't be at home. :crying:

We will all go with ds18 to move into his dorm in a bit over a week. However, that's all of 2 miles since we just moved to the town where he is going to school. Very different from the 7.5 hr drives to get ds21 here and home in the past few years.

... within the next couple of weeks? When/where? What are you doing to make it special?

We take Sara Maria to Christopher Newport University next Saturday (August 13), but we're going a day early and spending the day at Busch Gardens.

I grew up and my dad still lives less than 2 miles from there--when it was CNC. I used the library for high school research papers. It has really grown and matured as a school since then.

My parents moved away 3 weeks before I left for college the first time... I had to find a place to stay until the dorms opened (I got 3 hours notice--Hey Jann, wake up we are moving today--get your things together and find a friend to stay with!). They never saw my first dorm room. They moved about 45 minutes from campus so I did go home several weekends each month. My parents LOVED me very much--but lots of 'life' happened that summer/year!

My best friend helped me move into my dorm. I married him the next year!

This is awful and sweet at the same time!

My husband and son just left this morning to head to Auburn, AL. I have been moping about sniffing and feeling sorry for myself that there was no room for me and no one to stay with my youngers. That is why I came to look at the college threads, so that my misery could have company!

To make him feel special, I cooked all his most favorite foods this week, including desserts... I also hid some dark chocolate in his snack bag so that he will find it later. I am going to wait a few days, and then send him a "miss you" card. Snif. I feeling fairly unmotivated today...

Kirsten

DH, DD and I will be moving our ds/brother into the dorms next Friday. The college he will be attending is only 45 min. away so we are fortunate to all be able to go.

We just found out that his assigned roommate will not be attending after all, so we will have a bit more shopping to do since certain things (microwave, refrigerator, printer, vacuum) were going to be shared.

I'm glad that some of you have mentioned some of the special things y'all are planning to do, such as make a favorite meal, or hide surprises for your college kiddo. I'd like to do something special but I'm just having a difficult time coming up with anything....I think I'm still in a bit of shock. All of these years of home schooling went by more quickly than I imagined.

We are taking our middle child to University of Alabama Tuscaloosa on Saturday. Haven't decided whether youngest will go with us or not. She doesn't really want to go since it involves around six hours of driving (back and forth) and leaving early in the morning. She has already visited the school and doesn't feel like she needs to go. But middle really wants both dh and me to go and dh has never been there. IF we were living in the place we last lived, I wouldn't hesitate to leave her- she is over 14 1/2, a ninth grader, and has passed the Babysitting Course plus she is very sensible and practical child. But we have just moved here and I don't know anybody yet who she could call if she needed help. I am going to a meeting for lunch with other homeschoolers with teens and maybe we'll meet someone. Otherwise she will be coming with us.

We left yesterday morning to take my son to Notre Dame and to go to the orientation. We were in two cars. My five year old started vomiting somewhere around Allentown, PA. So, I had to turnaround and head home with her. We had to say good bye at the rest area. I had to trust my dh to buy all the right stuff for his room. And take some pictures. I am sad that I am missing it, but bringing your sick little sister along would be no fun.