Menu

Anyone here with kids that don't sweat and play sports?

My son does not sweat..he turns red. He was thinking about playing soccer and has been practicing with the team. He is not thrilled about it but wants to play sports. I am concerned with him playing especially in this heat wave that we are having. They practice 7am-9am--still hot. He takes water with him to practice but just sips on it because his he has a sensitive stomach--which at certain times he will become nausea and have stomach cramps, but it passes--I also do this, not sure what it is.

Today he helped a neighbor in their yard. He worked from 8:15 to 11:30. He was so red when he came home. He did take something to drink.

WWYD?

Not my kids, but my mom is like this. She doesn't sweat at all and just gets hotter and hotter. Her blood pressure will eventually go through the roof.

I'd make sure he has a physical and clearance from his doctor before putting him into sports. I'd also make sure the doctor explained to him his need for WATER during those times.

My son does not sweat..he turns red. He was thinking about playing soccer and has been practicing with the team. He is not thrilled about it but wants to play sports. I am concerned with him playing especially in this heat wave that we are having. They practice 7am-9am--still hot. He takes water with him to practice but just sips on it because his he has a sensitive stomach--which at certain times he will become nausea and have stomach cramps, but it passes--I also do this, not sure what it is.

Today he helped a neighbor in their yard. He worked from 8:15 to 11:30. He was so red when he came home. He did take something to drink.

WWYD?

Are you saying he doesn't come in with a sweaty head after a hard day of play? If he is literally not sweating I would be concerned. Absolutely. If he is sweating and getting red, I wouldn't be concerned. It's natural to turn red with exercise because blood rushes to the skin's surface to release excess heat energy.

I had a friend like that in high school. When we would have gym class outdoors, she would turn very red, but would never break any kind of sweat. I remember she got sick when we had our mile run.

I'm sorry I'm not any help on your question, but your post just reminded me of her. She's the only person I've ever met that didn't sweat!

I don't sweat...I turn red, get dizzy, pass out. My mother does not sweat. What a thing to inherit. Couldn't it have been something else?? When in the marching band in high school, they had to have a parent or another student walk close to me, carry extra water. During this heat wave we've had, I have a fan that mists water and also runs while misting, I carry water, and salty chips. That's the only way I can maybe kinda get by IF I have to go out, so I look a little odd at Farmers Markets, but you do what you gotta do. Luckily my dd sweats, so that strange thing isn't inherited. I turn into a hermit come middle of summer, till fall weather hits then I joyfully exit the house and stay outside as much as possible. I hate not sweating, but am used to it by now.

Janelle

I spoke with the Dr. (it was a new Dr and we did not like him!) He told us that there was NO way that ds could have gotten through his toddler years without sweating. He asked me in ds's 15 yrs had I never seen him sweat. It old him that I had not kept a record. We couldn't afford for him to play sports when he was younger, but when he was 9 he played fall baseball. He didn't really do much, since he did not have any experience. He currently kayaks in the spring and fall, so he will stay cool.

So the Dr. says to watch him and make sure he stays hydrated and if at any point he feels dizzy to make sure to stop and cool off.

I don't sweat...I turn red, get dizzy, pass out. My mother does not sweat. What a thing to inherit. Couldn't it have been something else?? When in the marching band in high school, they had to have a parent or another student walk close to me, carry extra water.

Janelle

This is me exactly, even down to the marching band experience!! I do sweat a little more now that I am approaching 50, but mostly......no. When I play tennis I need to be sure and drink a lot of water, but what works the best is to pour it over my head. Oh, and since I live in Phoenix during the winter, I play tennis, hike, bike ride, etc. here from Oct - early June. If I'm in Phx during the summer I don't play (or do anything outside except swim), but normally I spend my summers in a cooler climate where I can walk/tennis/sail/kayak - and stay relatively cool.

• 2 years later...
Guest night

Hi, I know it has been a while since you have posted this conditions envolving your children but I was wondering if you had any other information.  My son is ten.  He has the same issues.  He does sweat but barely,  The only place I have ever seen him get sweat droplets is right above his top lip. In the summers we can not do anything with him outside unless it involves swimming.  On a 65 degree day he will turn bright red, and if preventative steps aren't taken he will get dizzy, weak, and  vomit.  This has really become a problem because the school he attends does not have air.  He is constantly having to go to the air conditioned office or sit outside during class time.  When it affects his learning something needs to be done.  I am trying to get him on the 504 plan at school to get him air in the classroom.

I have learned about a condition called Anhidrosis (also called hypohidrosis).  We go to a genetic doctor soon but I was wondering if you had any other information regaurding this situation or even advice on what you have done to help your children deal with this condition.