Menu

What does "banned" mean under someone's name?

Yesterday I saw this twice under two different posters names. It is just a curious question, really. It seems obvious what it would mean, but banned from what? They were still allowed to post. Banned from giving out rep? Or is this just another ranking for the hive mind (doesn't really fit the theme) once you hit so many posts? It there a probationary status or something?

ETA: I looked under board rules but couldn't find any info.

Yesterday I saw this twice under two different posters names. It is just a curious question, really. It seems obvious what it would mean, but banned from what? They were still allowed to post. Banned from giving out rep? Or is this just another ranking for the hive mind (doesn't really fit the theme) once you hit so many posts? It there a probationary status or something?

They have been banned from posting on the boards, but their posts made before they were banned are still here.

In one of the cases, the poster requested to be banned. There was no need to delete the posts she made before the "ban."

They have been banned from posting on the boards, but their posts made before they were banned are still here.

In one of the cases, the poster requested to be banned. There was no need to delete the posts she made before the "ban."

Now that I think about it, this would make sense! Thanks for the clarification ladies! :)

Maybe they had no self-discipline.

But, still, couldn't they just re-register using a different ID and/or email? LOL (I guess their IP address could be banned, but...)

And anyway, that wouldn't stop them from coming here to READ, which is, after all, the real danger. :D

Why would someone request to be banned? Couldn't they just not come here anymore?

That's exactly what I was thinking.

And anyway (as someone said) even if you're banned you can still read the boards, so why bother?