Menu

Joining the Afterschooling ranks!

Hi everyone,

My name is Andrea. I have a daughter, Rebekah, 4.5 and a son, David, 2. We just signed my daughter up for Universal Pre-K yesterday and she'll be starting Sept 7th. It's throug the public school and a free program to all 4 year olds (my daughter missed the cut off date by 11 days for she won't be able to start K until she's almost 6). My DH is insistant on PS, but agrees that we need to supplement. So I guess we're following his desire. Pre-K is only 1/2 a day. They are using Scott Foresman's Reading Street as their literacy program. I don't know their curriculum for math, but I was very impressed with the room. It has an old nursery school feel to it. I am planning on "afterschooling" with Sonlight's Core K, Rightstart Math A, All About Spelling and unit studies for science as well as SL LA 1. I figure she won't have much homework if any and she loves to learn. She's already reading thanks to Sonlight LA K which e've already done, so I'm afraid she'll be a bit bored with the Reading Street. I don't plan on doing everything every day obviously as I don't want to overwhelm her, but I'm hoping for some advice that things can go well with afterschooling at this age.

Welcome to Aferschooling! It sounds like you already have a terrific plan lined up. I have one idea to add, and that would be to track your daughter's Guided Reading Level. If she is an already reading four year old (how awesome!) I'm going to guess that she is at a level D or E right now, but that's just a guess. Once you know the exact letter, it will help you pick out the exact appropriate books from the library.

You also might want to start a little writing folder for her, just to stay organized. I didn't do a specific writing program with my son at that age, but we did a lot of just for fun writing activities, and collected them in one spot.