Menu

S/o marijuana...

Legalized marijuana?  

1. 1. Legalized marijuana?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

Absolutely not. It's unregulatable. At what point do you say you can and you can't take it? I saw a guy took it for carpel tunnel syndrome and was on disability. So there's not one other thing he can do for his life? He clearly sits around and uses this as his vice... all....day. He is just brain fried.

The problem is that the bill is not about whether it helps cancer patients. It's opening up a can of worms that I can't even begin to count. It's about all the "other" junk that comes with it that no one ever dreams of or even crosses their minds.

Absolutely not. It's unregulatable. At what point do you say you can and you can't take it? I saw a guy took it for carpel tunnel syndrome and was on disability. So there's not one other thing he can do for his life? He clearly sits around and uses this as his vice... all....day. He is just brain fried.

The problem is that the bill is not about whether it helps cancer patients. It's opening up a can of worms that I can't even begin to count. It's about all the "other" junk that comes with it that no one ever dreams of or even crosses their minds.

So, do you also suggest making oxycodone illegal?

Absolutely. If you have ever cared for a loved one or patient on chemo the difference regarding nausea from the treatments and having some ability to eat is life changing. For people with anxiety it is also far safer and less debilitating a treatment than paxil or some of the other anti anxiety meds. Coming off those is a nightmare.

I believe it should be legalized. Furthermore, I think all drugs should be legalized. Jailing people for drug abuse is extremely expensive, and it isn't curtailing the behavior at all, IMO. Also, the illegal drug market is what's fueling the war in Mexico, in addition to gang and other criminal activities.

I look at it like the Prohibition in the early 1900's. Once alcohol was made legal, it undercut the bootleggers.

I believe it should be legalized. Furthermore, I think all drugs should be legalized. Jailing people for drug abuse is extremely expensive, and it isn't curtailing the behavior at all, IMO. Also, the illegal drug market is what's fueling the war in Mexico, in addition to gang and other criminal activities.

I look at it like the Prohibition in the early 1900's. Once alcohol was made legal, it undercut the bootleggers.

Legalization does have a funny way of shrinking a black market. ;)

Get your calendar ready.

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I think it might help Mexico if we made it somewhat legal here. It might shut down some of the drug cartels. There are so many people dying in order to supply the U.S. On the other hand, more people might die if it became legal due to traffic fatalities.

There's no easy answer. I wish people just wouldn't do it. Getting high makes one a little bit responsible for all the deaths that brought that weed (or whatever other drug) to your door.

But you still have to wonder how many more people would die in car accidents related to driving while high if they made it legal.

That's just my personal opinion though. I'm not trying to make anyone mad... It's just what I think.

Absolutely. If you have ever cared for a loved one or patient on chemo the difference regarding nausea from the treatments and having some ability to eat is life changing. For people with anxiety it is also far safer and less debilitating a treatment than paxil or some of the other anti anxiety meds. Coming off those is a nightmare.

I didn't even think about it from this angle but it's a very good point. :iagree:

I believe it should be legalized. Furthermore, I think all drugs should be legalized. Jailing people for drug abuse is extremely expensive, and it isn't curtailing the behavior at all, IMO.

Not taking a side in this debate, but the underlined section is simply not true. In some nations it has had a huge impact. Ask anyone from Singapore!

Yes, I think it should be legal. I know people that have SERIOUS issues with it (my mother is one), and should never use it. But the majority of people who do don't have problems, and it's a huge waste of taxpayer time and money (money that we don't have, anyway, right now) to chase after every person who's smoked a joint. To me, it's like alcohol and alcoholics-- just because someone might become an alcoholic doesn't make alcohol evil. Same with marijuana.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: We have lost the drug war IMO. I heard we spend billions and only catch less than 10% of drugs coming in to this country not to mention all of the people in jail for drugs. The money would be better spent on prevention and rehab.

I voted no, but THIS is the exception :iagree:. I have cared for people while I was in nursing before staying home with the kiddos when we moved to Wy.

The medical marijuana is such a crock most of the time though. I have a FB friend that I went to school with and she is 31, on disability (read= to lazy to work, She ADMITS there is nothing wrong with her but if you say the right things to the dr all is good :glare:) She is one that will ALWAYS chat if you do not have it turned off. (that is why mine is turned off most of the time :lol:)I ask her what she is doing when she tries to chat to be nice and its ALWAYS "having a drink" She drinks DAILY. All day long. It recently came about that she has a marijuana card, I don't even know how- apparently it has been legalized in Mich since we moved from there. Why, you ask?. Why, do YOU have a marijuana card? Because of her "disability" Umm hello you admitted yourself that you don't have one. :001_huh: She tells her doctor about all the "pain" she is in and how it gets so bad that it makes her "nauseated" and how no anti nausea meds help (ummm could this be because there is no nausea?)

One of the reasons we stopped being friends in school because she was getting into drugs and I didn't want to be around the crowd she was with.

For truly legit people (cancer, whatever else is a legit reason) That's the sad thing though. People exploit things for their benefit. That is why its a bad idea. I will probably get flamed for this but that is only 1 story. Ask me why my brother has a card :glare: He has been in and out of prison for selling drugs. Wasn't that supposed to be an exclusion to the card rules? Yeah, I thought so to and yet he has one.

Decriminalization? Yes.

Legal for legitimate medical use? Yes.

Industrial hemp for Food and Fiber? Yes

Full-out legalization for recreational use, commercial sale and cultivation? No.

Bill

Cripes! I'm more liberal than SpyCar on this! :lol: Bill, you conservative, you!!!!

Decriminalization? Yes.

Full-out legalization for recreational use, commercial sale and cultivation? No.

Bill

:iagree: I voted no.

As an aside? I don't like going to Amsterdam because it is stinky. I hate the smell of pot.

Decriminalization? Yes.

Bill

I agree. I do think it is ridiculous that it isn't permitted for medical use.

I look at the prescriptions I have for pain, percoset, darvoset, codiene...how is that any safer than pot?

I have no real desire to get baked but I just don't see how the mainstream meds being offered are really better/less addictive.

Not taking a side in this debate, but the underlined section is simply not true. In some nations it has had a huge impact. Ask anyone from Singapore!

And raise your hand if you hate bubble gum on the bottom of your shoe. Singapore may be on to something!

Yes.

And if the Government could figure out an easy way to regulate it and tax it, pot would already be legal.

The only reason it isn't, is because they are not getting any tax money from it.

Pot is no different then alcohol, or even legalized pain meds. And even cigarettes.

Decriminalization? Yes.

Bill

:iagree:

Have to admit I'm biased though as my sister started with marijuana at age 11/12 and graduated to cocaine and other stuff. She's clean now but it was a long hard hill for her to climb.

It should absolutely be legal to grow and use for personal use. We waste too much money and too many lives in a war against a plant that has many useful purposes. If people use it for recreation, so what? I prefer stoned people to drunk people any day....

But have you been to Amsterdam? I don't want to smell pot everywhere. The very idea makes me nauseous.

My husband once had a plane stop in Amsterdam and then misunderstood the customs form and reported he visited there. They searched his bag with great enthusiasm.

Personally I'm a bit scared of the red light district. Otherwise I wouldn't mind going to Amsterdam.

It should absolutely be legal to grow and use for personal use. We waste too much money and too many lives in a war against a plant that has many useful purposes. If people use it for recreation, so what? I prefer stoned people to drunk people any day....
There are certain people and professions for whom I believe its use should be mandatory. :tongue_smilie:

I would like to see it legalized throughout the US.

I would like to see an age restriction similar to smoking tobacco for purchase, with similar penalties.

The same goes for most other drugs. Yes, Singapore has good results cutting down on illegal drugs. They also have draconian penalties and a very small island, which makes it a lot harder to grow stuff out in the middle of nowhere or smuggle across borders.

I feel that the money we spend jailing drug dealers could be better spent elsewhere.

Decriminalization? Yes.

Bill

I voted other, because it is not a black and white issue to me. Do I think adults in need should be able to seek medical care and get medical mj if need? Absolutely. Am I bothered by the 'script farms (aka doctor offices) here in CA handing them out like candy? Not really. If the person is responsible enough to get a recommendation, then I will assume that they are responsible enough to use it wisely.

Oakland, Ca is a HUGE supporter of medical mj, and has many places you can buy it, and has allowed certain companies to build "grow rooms" for their patients. The city is bringing in tax revenue hand over fist from these places.

Yes! My step-father has some problems and no amount of drugs the drs give him alleviate his pain. So, he drinks too much at night so he can rest. I tried pot and didn't really see what the big deal was but after drinking just a few times I was hooked. I think alcohol is far more dangerous yet more easily accessible. It doesn't make sense.

The same goes for most other drugs. Yes, Singapore has good results cutting down on illegal drugs. They also have draconian penalties and a very small island, which makes it a lot harder to grow stuff out in the middle of nowhere or smuggle across borders.

I feel that the money we spend jailing drug dealers could be better spent elsewhere.

Yes, exactly.

I will add that additionally, I do have a dog in this fight.

For my SO, it is one of the few painkillers that will enable him to function quasi-normally when his arthritis is very bad. He has used other prescription painkillers, but either they did not work or the mental effects made it unworkable. He also has serious problems maintaining weight (we are rejoicing that his BMI has just gone over 19), and the well-known appetite enhancement has been helpful.

I will let eloquent Economist state my opinion :)

http://www.economist.com/node/709603

Time for a puff of sanity

http://www.economist.com/node/13237193

How to stop drug wars

and that's from a relatively conservative publication :)

While I enjoy reading at the Economist, they occasionally go off the deep end.

They have argued (illogically) against indoor cigarette smoking bans, forgetting that people who desire to breath unpolluted by toxic cigarette smoke have rights too. And here they once again lose the plot.

As an argument they attempt to build on a famous saying by John Stuart Mill:

"John Stuart Mill, a British liberal philosopher, who urged that the state had no right to intervene to prevent individuals from doing something that harmed them, if no harm was thereby done to the rest of society."

OK. But did they see that this was a conditional statement? "If no harm was thereby done to society" is a hurdle that has to be overcome.

Personally I think great harm could (and would) come to our society if the marketing forces that are not arrayed to convince people that McDonalds Happy Meals (which are neither) put their minds to marketing pot over the nations airwaves.

What would happen if one could just go down to the Piggly Wiggly, or the liquor store or 7/11 and purchase some cannabis? And what if the marketing (as it always is) was aimed at our children? No harm to society? I would certainly argue otherwise. Mill's threshold is not met.

Personally I don't care one way or another if an adult want to smoke pot, if they can handle it, or if it does them good.

For those with medical conditions there is no question in my mind that it should be legal.

I also think it should be decriminalized. But keeping marijuana possession as a minor offense which could result in a small citation for public consumption keeps it on the down-low. Where it belongs. Legalize it and we will have marketing forces working overtime looking to make money by getting children to use this drug. And not just children. The rate of consumption would soar.

I am not a prohibitionist. I would sent no one to jail for smoking a little pot. But I think society would pay too great a price for the wholesale legalization and the commercialization of marijuana.

The Economist did not think this through.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car