Menu

Whiteboard for Scheduling

Does anyone use one whiteboard for homeschooling, chores, sports, and appointment scheduling? Right now we have these posted in separate places in the house. It seems like a good idea to get it all in one place.

I want to divide a whiteboard with grid tape and have sections for each child per day, each with an in-set grid for assignments by subject, any sports practice/games or doctor/dentist/ortho appointments that day with either magnetic strips or whiteboard tape, color-coded. Green for sports, bright orange for health appts, muted colors for each subject.

I also have magnetic circles with cute pics like a flower or smiley to add when each assignment has been finished. I could also buy colored stars, arrows, circles, squares, or triangles to denote things. I'd also like to add in chore assignments somehow.

What do you think? Does anyone use something similar? How do you have it set up?

Hmmm... I wonder how well things would wipe off? It seems like my white board is a bit "grayish" right now, and we haven't been using it more than a year (and I try and wipe it off after each school day, although sometimes it goes a bit longer).

I had a neat velcro & cardstock thing setup for awhile - but then I just didn't use it very much so it is kind of hanging out lonely... :) It worked great when I remembered to use it, though!!! Strips of velcro stick-to stuff down the days, with pieces of different colored cardstock paper cut to approximate time length and having velcro stick-on stuff on the back. The days of the week at the top, the general times in 15 min increments down the side.

Kind of like Managers of the Home do with post-its? I've tried to schedule by time, but we are way too disorganized for that. Only appointments and sports practice times are scheduled by time.

Businesses use whiteboards for all kinds of management needs and I think it's workable for a homeschooling family, too. I hope it'll make things run smoother for everyone.

Just saw a cool homemade white board that could work for what you are talking about- get the size of pexiglass you want for the white board and spray one side white. Then use the non painted side for your white board markers. You could put it in a frame-

I use a white board for our weekly memory work but it died in the fire. I'm going to make the pexiglass one soon (before school starts).

Just saw a cool homemade white board that could work for what you are talking about- get the size of pexiglass you want for the white board and spray one side white. Then use the non painted side for your white board markers. You could put it in a frame-

I use a white board for our weekly memory work but it died in the fire. I'm going to make the pexiglass one soon (before school starts).

Now that sounds cool!!

I have a whiteboard I use in my kitchen for our family scheduling, and it's such a pain I don't really use it anymore. It has the days of the week listed with a space for each, a place to write down a shopping list, an appointment list, stuff like that. The problem is that, once all of my writing has dried on for a week, it's a pain to clean it off. I have to spray it with strong cleaner and then scrub like mad to get it off, and trying to clean around the stuff I want to leave up there is a pain, too. I prefer just using a paper planner.

I did something similar and one thing that helps is Vis A Vis markers. These don't erase so you can use them for Names, Days of the Week, titles, etc. You can clean it off with Windex but it does not erase with the regular dry erase erasers. I usually use electrical tape to mark off different areas for scheduling, assignments and notes.

I think it is a great idea! I have white boards throughout my house for different things. I have a white board right by my computer for notes that I constantly put on it to help me remember. I keep a to-do list and running notes on it for my personal use. I also have another one that we use for scheduling, school assignments and other things.

I just use a plain whitebaord and put each name at the top of a column. That person's school subjects go under it and they are allowed to mark them off when the subject is completed. Underneath is a list of the day's activities and on top is the day and date. It helps me organize my thoughts. I even use it on the weekends. It is nothing fancy but I believe that is why it works.

I use our whiteboard as the family calendar. Everything goes on there, a month at a time - sports, practices, events, weekly library trips, etc. It's in the dining room, where we do our homeschooling - but the chalkboard is where I have all the homeschooling info (regarding their subjects for the day, weekly verse, etc), and that's right above their desk.

I have our school schedule on the white board daily( the list of what each child needs to complete). Next to the white board I have a bulletin board and on that I post appts, sports schedules etc. So it is all in 1 spot but now written all over my whiteboard.