Menu

Of course courage can be used to bad ends but it still need be respected. Surely you understand that.

Do you deny the courage of the Confederates or does your hatred of them blind you?

I asked you a question. What wars did your father and grandfathers fight in, and on whose side?

Bill

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I explained the problem with my keyboard in an earlier post and, I

am now on my husband's computer and shouldn't have that problem.

I can assure you that I am not a troll. Where am I bashing homeschoolers? I am going to be one in the next year. I have great respect for homeschoolers.

I also apologized for that remark in an earlier post.

IMO one of the most important things to do as a homeschool teacher, is to remain teachable. We can't know it all, and we usually want our children to learn that sometimes what we thought was right is in fact wrong.

I agree with what was said a few pages back about how we try to be so welcoming to homeschoolers here, and yet here we have people talking about the emotions that are brought up seeing this flag, and people are attacking them and their rationale instead of supporting them and, at the least, trying to understand.

No one answered my question directly about whether anyone has changed their opinion about the flag since reading through this post, but I think it's clear that the majority have not. Very sad. And another generation will be taught the same in those homes.

Because frankly it is none of your business.

How did your Dad get shout down? What aircraft did he fly? What Unit? What medals?

What do you have to hide?

My father was shot down in a booming raid on a Japanese held atoll in the Pelau Island group. He flew an F-4U Cousair and was a Marine (transfer from the Navy). He won a Distinguished Flying Cross.

Bill

What do you have to hide?

My father was shot down in a booming raid on a Japanese held atoll in the Pelau Islande group.The flew an F-4U Cousair and was a Marine (transfer from the Navy). He won a distinguished Flying Cross and a Silver Star.

Bill

Nothing, beyond that I like my anonymity.

Your Father is a brave man, you should be proud of him.

Nothing, beyond that I like my anonymity.

Your Father is a brave man, you should be proud of him.

I was wrong about the Silver Star. I just checked with him. He was elegable and was recommended for this medal, but there was evidently a paper work snafu and he didn't press the issue. Not a man to care for medals when his friends were dying.

Bill

I was wrong about the Silver Star. I just checked with him. He was elegable and was recommended for this medal, but there was evidently a paper work snafu and he didn't press the issue. Not a man to care for medals when his friends were dying.

Bill

As I said a man of character.

So because a man disagrees with you, because he fights for a cause that you, and I, may find antithetical he cannot be courageous? I am sorry but that makes absolutely no sense. During WWII the Kamikaze pilot demonstrated courage, the Bolshevik who attacked American forces in Murmansk demonstrated valor as did the VC sapper at Khe Sahn and the Southern soldier who charged massed artillery showed a courage that makes one marvel. To deny this….well it is to deny many elements of the human character.

One should respect courage wherever it is found.

So by your logic, you respect the courage of the 9/11 hijackers? Interesting.

So by your logic, you respect the courage of the 9/11 hijackers? Interesting.

Well...I recall when 9/11 happened, I commented to my husband that although I thought the hijackers were monsters and abhorred their agenda, I admired their courage and wished some thirtysomethings I know had half of their passion for something more worthwhile than gaming.

Well...I recall when 9/11 happened, I commented to my husband that although I thought the hijackers were monsters and abhorred their agenda, I admired their courage and wished some thirtysomethings I know had half of their passion for something more worthwhile than gaming.

But sometimes I get bored and I like killing orcs :(

I asked you a question. What wars did your father and grandfathers fight in, and on whose side?

Bill

Have not read anything but the first page and last page so far, but I can answer some questions.

My father did not fight in any war, he missed Korean and Vietnam by having a family and being exempted...

My grandfather fought in WW2 and was stationed in the Phillipines for four years...missed the birth of my father and returned to find an almost 4 year old who did not know him.

His grandfather fought in the Civil War...he lost his arm at a battle in Georgia..had a wife back home with 10 children who he had to return to and try to farm as a sharecropper and survive somehow.

His great-grandfather fought in the Revolutionary War (yes, I'm a DAR Daughter of the American Revolution)

The truth is that the Civil War was not solely about slaveholders and abusive/predatory slaveowners. The Civil War was about states rights. At that time, the South would have been decimated had they pulled out all of the slaves/workers at that time....cotton was king..the north did not need slaves b/c they did not have 'crops' and acres and acres of fields to be harvested. Slavery was about supply and demand...people demanded cotton and there were not enough people to harvest them...slaves alongside my sharecropper great great grandfather and even my own grandmother/grandfather filled this gap. There were a great number of hardworking citizens that relied on the money they made from harvesting to provide for their families. My grandparents were in the cotton fields year after year to be able to have a small piece of land to grow their crops on to provide for their families.

Let's talk about slavery for a minute...one poster pointed out abuse and all the ills that we hear, but we do not hear the entire picture. Those abusive cases were reflective of a much smaller percentage than those who were cared for by their plantation owners and provided for. Am I against slavery, absolutely! But, let's remember that in Africa...it was tribe against tribe....more often than not, the thousands of slaves provided on the Ivory Coast were prisoners from one tribe taking over another's land...they captured the other tribe and would sell them for whiskey, cloth, you name it....

Also, remember the first slaves in the colonies were white slaves...servitude has been rampant in all societies since the time man needed workers....

Additionally, at the time of the Civil War there were communities where the slave population outweighed the white man's vote. The North was focused on protecting their rights/agenda and what they wanted to put forth would have turned the economics of the South on its head...it would have destroyed the South...my great great grandfather fought for the Civil War because his livelihood depended on it...it essentially was the North, a manufacturing centered economy, trying to force its policies on the crop dependent South.

To answer the original question, I am not offended by the Dixie Flag...it stands for so much more than 'slavery'..but I am sensitive to the fact that the media and those without time to do the historical studies see it as a symbol promoting slavery...so, then I have to ask if I let the case of ignorance diminish the great steps the South put forth to fight for states rights and the great people who established a great number of positive foundations in the South...will I fly it in my yard? No, but do I think it honors the heart and soul of my great grandfathers who have fought for what they believe is right? Yes....and I can guarantee you my relatives were not fighting for slavery to continue but for the South to have a say on what happens in their counties/states....the plantations where my forefathers lived did not have slaves..those were only in the more populated areas....in the rural areas, it was poor families who were working the farms.

Have not read anything but the first page and last page so far, but I can answer some questions.

Boy, that takes some chutzpah.

It didn't occur to you that maybe it's not the best idea to wade into a 50-page thread on a controversial topic and give your opinion without, you know, showing interest in anyone else's first?

Boy, that takes some chutzpah.

It didn't occur to you that maybe it's not the best idea to wade into a 50-page thread on a controversial topic and give your opinion without, you know, showing interest in anyone else's first?

My intent was to answer the original poster's question, I think that is quite valid and does not warrant the above comments. I do not commit my time to read 50 pages, it does not change my opinion and that is what the OP asked for...mine is as valid as yours.

The truth is that the Civil War was not solely about slaveholders and abusive/predatory slaveowners. The Civil War was about states rights. At that time, the South would have been decimated had they pulled out all of the slaves/workers at that time....cotton was king..the north did not need slaves b/c they did not have 'crops' and acres and acres of fields to be harvested. Slavery was about supply and demand...people demanded cotton and there were not enough people to harvest them...slaves alongside my sharecropper great great grandfather and even my own grandmother/grandfather filled this gap. There were a great number of hardworking citizens that relied on the money they made from harvesting to provide for their families. My grandparents were in the cotton fields year after year to be able to have a small piece of land to grow their crops on to provide for their families.

Let's talk about slavery for a minute...one poster pointed out abuse and all the ills that we hear, but we do not hear the entire picture. Those abusive cases were reflective of a much smaller percentage than those who were cared for by their plantation owners and provided for. Am I against slavery, absolutely! But, let's remember that in Africa...it was tribe against tribe....more often than not, the thousands of slaves provided on the Ivory Coast were prisoners from one tribe taking over another's land...they captured the other tribe and would sell them for whiskey, cloth, you name it....

Also, remember the first slaves in the colonies were white slaves...servitude has been rampant in all societies since the time man needed workers....

Additionally, at the time of the Civil War there were communities where the slave population outweighed the white man's vote. The North was focused on protecting their rights/agenda and what they wanted to put forth would have turned the economics of the South on its head...it would have destroyed the South...my great great grandfather fought for the Civil War because his livelihood depended on it...it essentially was the North, a manufacturing centered economy, trying to force its policies on the crop dependent South.

So much of this is inaccurate, but I don't have time, nor desire really, to look up the sources to correct it. Just wow.

My intent was to answer the original poster's question, I think that is quite valid and does not warrant the above comments. I do not commit my time to read 50 pages, it does not change my opinion and that is what the OP asked for...mine is as valid as yours.

Not everything one says is an opinion. Some things are verifiable as facts or inaccuracies.

Are you serious? You justify slavery because there were not enough workers to pick the cotton without the slaves? Circular logic.

Wow.

The "entire picture"? Abuse of slaves was rare? Let us simply start with the fact that these were human beings that were bought, sold, and owned as if they were farm animals. They had no rights. None. They could not own property, and they did not even control their own bodies. They could be (and were) whipped, r*ped, and outright murdered at the whim of their owner. Mothers had to worry that their children could be taken from them and SOLD. And you want to say that this wasn't so bad because some plantation owners were NICE? They still OWNED another human being.

You are aware that those tribes in Africa that sold other tribes into slavery did it for the material goods, and also to keep from being taken into slavery themselves. And yes, they were wrong for doing so. That doesn't in any way, shape, or form excuse slavery in the US. I should be stunned by what you have written, but sadly, I'm not.

Indentured servants were not equivalent to slaves. I will not defend the practice, but indentured servants had legal rights that slaves did not have, and their period of service was limited. They also did not have to fear watching their families sold out from under them.

Wow. Just wow.

Additionally, at the time of the Civil War there were communities where the slave population outweighed the white man's vote.

I am not sure what that is even supposed to mean.

The North was focused on protecting their rights/agenda and what they wanted to put forth would have turned the economics of the South on its head...it would have destroyed the South...my great great grandfather fought for the Civil War because his livelihood depended on it...it essentially was the North, a manufacturing centered economy, trying to force its policies on the crop dependent South.

The south's economic model was based on slavery, so excuse me if I don't shed any tears about how it was in jeopardy from the dastardly north.

To answer the original question, I am not offended by the Dixie Flag...it stands for so much more than 'slavery'..but I am sensitive to the fact that the media and those without time to do the historical studies see it as a symbol promoting slavery...so, then I have to ask if I let the case of ignorance diminish the great steps the South put forth to fight for states rights and the great people who established a great number of positive foundations in the South...will I fly it in my yard? No, but do I think it honors the heart and soul of my great grandfathers who have fought for what they believe is right? Yes....and I can guarantee you my relatives were not fighting for slavery to continue but for the South to have a say on what happens in their counties/states....the plantations where my forefathers lived did not have slaves..those were only in the more populated areas....in the rural areas, it was poor families who were working the farms.

Were your great grandfathers honored by members of the KKK waving it in the faces of Civil Rights marchers as they were beaten? By states choosing to fly the flag again to protest the federal government *forcing* them to give equal rights to all of its citizens?

The "right" your great grandfathers fought for was to keep other human beings in bondage. You can justify that with your own twisted reasoning (and yes, I will say with your own racist ideology), but it doesn't make it right.

QUOTE]

Are you serious? You justify slavery because there were not enough workers to pick the cotton without the slaves? Circular logic.

Wow.

Did I ever say I justify slavery? I was giving a reason for why the southern states had more slaves than the North and hence why their economy would suffer greatly with the laws that would have worked in the northern states but would not have worked in the Southern...it is a fact, not a justification.

The "entire picture"? Abuse of slaves was rare? You are aware that those tribes in Africa that sold other tribes into slavery did it for the material goods, and also to keep from being taken into slavery themselves. And yes, they were wrong for doing so. That doesn't in any way, shape, or form excuse slavery in the US. I should be stunned by what you have written, but sadly, I'm not.

Did I ever say it was rare? I really think it belays your credibility when you put words into others posts...it's about perspective...the ignorant perspective was that abuse was the rule...and I vehemently agree, slavery is wrong, I never argued otherwise..but I am also aware of conditions in the South where in the rural areas..slaves were considered more a part of the family. If you take the population of all the slaves in the South, about 3/5th of them lived on larger plantations, but 2/5th of them lived on farms with less than 10 slaves...small immigrant (German, Irish, etc.) farmers who rented or owned slaves of their own. It is this setting that many are not aware of. Many times the families released them from servitude and gave them acres of land to raise their families...they decided to stay and were considered family. I am not condoning anything, just stating the complexities of the times.

Were your great grandfathers honored by members of the KKK waving it in the faces of Civil Rights marchers as they were beaten? By states choosing to fly the flag again to protest the federal government *forcing* them to give equal rights to all of its citizens?

The "right" your great grandfathers fought for was to keep other human beings in bondage. You can justify that with your own twisted reasoning (and yes, I will say with your own racist ideology), but it doesn't make it right.

This is the bigger issue...a horrific terrorist group uses a symbol (only after having flown the US flag for the majority of their existence, but we do not vilify that flag..they only went to the southern flag after they felt betrayed by the US...your logic would have it that we should do away with the US flag) and feelings that should be displaced on that group get passed to a flag that would never have condoned their actions.

Absolutely not! The right my forefathers fought for was for their families to live in a state where state's rights and the defense of the constitution were the issue. The Confederate Sates of America outlawed slave trading before the war, but that is not often quoted.

As for your dastrd northern forefathers, check the facts, the slave trade come from all northern ships, not southern ones. They were the ones profiting off the sale of slaves...and procuring them in horrific ways.

My point, is that there are facts and inaccuracies on both sides of the issue, but for you to stick to one side and not be willing to take the time to consider the facts, not just conjecture might lead to a better awareness of the conditions at the time.

Did I ever say I justify slavery? I was giving a reason for why the southern states had more slaves than the North and hence why their economy would suffer greatly with the laws that would have worked in the northern states but would not have worked in the Southern...it is a fact, not a justification.

Please read what you wrote again. Yes, you were justifying slavery.

Did I ever say it was rare?]/quote]

You certainly implied it when you wrote:

"Let's talk about slavery for a minute...one poster pointed out abuse and all the ills that we hear, but we do not hear the entire picture. Those abusive cases were reflective of a much smaller percentage than those who were cared for by their plantation owners and provided for."

You are claiming that the abuse of slaves was not the norm, and that we were not getting the "entire picture".

I really think it belays your credibility when you put words into others posts...it's about perspective...the ignorant perspective was that abuse was the rule...and I vehemently agree, slavery is wrong, I never argued otherwise..but I am also aware of conditions in the South where in the rural areas..slaves were considered more a part of the family. If you take the population of all the slaves in the South, about 3/5th of them lived on larger plantations, but 2/5th of them lived on farms with less than 10 slaves...small immigrant (German, Irish, etc.) farmers who rented or owned slaves of their own. It is this setting that many are not aware of. Many times the families released them from servitude and gave them acres of land to raise their families...they decided to stay and were considered family. I am not condoning anything, just stating the complexities of the times.

Slaves were considered part of the family? Nonsense. I suggest you look up the slave codes that were passed in all of the southern states. You are exaggerating greatly the frequency and generosity of emancipation. Some of the southern states made it illegal for free blacks to own property.

This is the bigger issue...a horrific terrorist group uses a symbol (only after having flown the US flag for the majority of their existence, but we do not vilify that flag..they only went to the southern flag after they felt betrayed by the US...your logic would have it that we should do away with the US flag) and feelings that should be displaced on that group get passed to a flag that would never have condoned their actions.

Of course, their primary beef with the US, as evidenced by their articles of secession, was that they wanted to keep the right to enslave other human beings. The flag you adore was flown in support of slavery, and resurrected in support of segregation. Chew on that for a moment.

Absolutely not! The right my forefathers fought for was for their families to live in a state where state's rights and the defense of the constitution were the issue. The Confederate Sates of America outlawed slave trading before the war, but that is not often quoted.

Congress banned the importation of slaves. The southern states still allowed the slave trade within their borders.

Your forefathers fought to hold others in bondage. You can glorify it all you want, but the articles of secession for the Confederate states make it quite clear. Your slave holding ancestors were racists. Accept it.

As for your dastrd northern forefathers, check the facts, the slave trade come from all northern ships, not southern ones. They were the ones profiting off the sale of slaves...and procuring them in horrific ways.

Of course that had ended well before the Civil War (1807?), but yes, that was inexcusable. That in no way excuses the Confederate states fighting to keep other human beings in bondage.

My point, is that there are facts and inaccuracies on both sides of the issue, but for you to stick to one side and not be willing to take the time to consider the facts, not just conjecture might lead to a better awareness of the conditions at the time.

You haven't presented anything even remotely worthwhile. So small farmers worked alongside their slaves. So? In what way does a free man working to benefit from the sweat of his own brow justify him keeping another man in chains next to him? Some slave holders were not abusive? good for them. And that makes it better for the slave who did not have a right to their own life?

Yes, your forefathers certainly were freedom fighters. Standing up for state rights and all, while being more than willing to whip another man for not working hard enough, attempting to escape, or looking the wrong way at a white woman.

The disconnect among white southerners on this issue is frankly disturbing. I cannot fathom how someone does not see the ignorance inherent in the claim that their ancestors were fighting for the noble cause of freedom from federal tyranny while at the same time holding other human beings as slaves. When coupled with the vicious defense of segregation in the south, it does make one wonder exactly how deluded someone has to be to look completely past how race is the basis for all of this.

My MIL is the youngest of 13 kids. Her dad was 70 when she was born in rural Arkansas. She firmly believes all the KKK did back in the day was to dabble in a bit of vigilante justice. She doesn't know or want to know the real local history. She's a bit blind to it. I think she was probably shielded from a lot of it as the baby sister.

I think a lot of people are like that.

I know this thread has gone far beyond the original post, but I'd like to answer it anyway.

Yes, I would assume someone who has a Confederate flag in their home is a racist. As a minority, I do not have the luxury of giving a person who displays Confederate paraphernalia the benefit of the doubt, particularly if it were concerning my child. When it comes to things like this, the person is guilty until proven innocent. I would rather make the assumption on the front end, rather than have to deal with (often subtle) racial messages seeping into our consciousness before my child is armed with the life experience to filter them.

Dude!! That isn't ok!!

You're right, it was wrong. I haven't had my coffee yet and after posting over 20 retorts in thread it made me mad someone would just jump in, ignore everyone and blurt out ignorance.

But yeah, I was wrong to make such a blanket statement. I'm sorry.

Edited by Alveraz

ma23peas, you might as well give up. We mustn't forget that the South and all Southerners are evil. Only the North were wonderful people. The slavers weren't from the North; they just didn't exist. Slaves just miraculously showed up on Southern shores.

Who bought those slaves? Who wrote articles of secession that included the right to maintain other human beings in bondage?

Were northerners guilty in the slave trade? Certainly. Were northerners pristine when it came to race relations? Certainly not.

Does this in any way justify slavery in the south, the fact that the south felt the need to go to war to defend slavery (er, *cough* *cough* "states rights")? Absolutely not.

Again, there was a ban on importing slaves starting in the early 1800s. The slave trade continued in southern states internally. And after the war which lead to the emancipation of the slaves? The moment they were given the opportunity, the southern states stripped blacks of every right they could.

Justify that. I dare you.

But hey, it's okay if someone's great-great-grandpappy only beat his slaves now and then. Maybe he even let them have an extra chicken at Christmas.

Chocolate, like I mentioned around page 20, racist sympathizers like to make this about geography. It's been a fascinating insight into delusional deflection. When someone is faced with their own demons, they defend their locale for some reason. Suddenly the symbolism of the flag takes a backseat to our "attacks on the south" as if we really think racists are sequestered in the south and never in the north.

This thread has run its course and is now cyclical and redundant.

Edited by Alveraz

Chocolate, like I mentioned around page 20, racist sympathizers like to make this about geography. It's been a fascinating insight into delusional deflection. When someone is faced with their own demons, they defend their locale for some reason. Suddenly the symbolism of the flag takes a backseat to our "attacks on the south" as if we really think racists are sequestered in the south and never in the north.

This thread has run its course and is now cyclical and redundant.

For once, we agree

Who bought those slaves? Who wrote articles of secession that included the right to maintain other human beings in bondage?

Were northerners guilty in the slave trade? Certainly. Were northerners pristine when it came to race relations? Certainly not.

Does this in any way justify slavery in the south, the fact that the south felt the need to go to war to defend slavery (er, *cough* *cough* "states rights")? Absolutely not.

Again, there was a ban on importing slaves starting in the early 1800s. The slave trade continued in southern states internally. And after the war which lead to the emancipation of the slaves? The moment they were given the opportunity, the southern states stripped blacks of every right they could.

Justify that. I dare you.

But hey, it's okay if someone's great-great-grandpappy only beat his slaves now and then. Maybe he even let them have an extra chicken at Christmas.

I'm not justifying anything. Not at all. I find it all horrid. I find it equally horrid that these threads always turn into "Let's bash the Southerners" heydays. I noticed that ma23peas post was quoted and and responded to in all parts EXCEPT where she pointed out the North's role in the slave trade. There seems to be this perception that EVERYONE in the South was a slave owner or for slavery. That EVERYONE in the North was fighting to end slavery and were all about integration. Not true for either side. BOTH sides had the good, the bad, and the ugly. All should be taught and talked about. One reason I refuse to have my kids in public school is because of the terrible way of teaching history that boils things down to, "The North was good and the South was evil" with no real discussion or admittance to anything else. SLAVERY, however, was wrong, no matter what side you were on. PREJUDICE against POC was wrong, whether it came from a Southern slaveholder or from a Union soldier fighting to end slavery, but didn't want a black man fighting alongside him in the same regiment. Prejudice and racism exists everywhere.

btw, some of my ancestors were slaughtered and had their land taken away. Some of them were slaveowners. Some of them were slaves. The whole thing ticks me off. And I'm just in a foul mood today.

Edited by mommaduck

Nobody is defending the north's part in slavery. Why, therefore, would we address it?

I noted that it was intentionally ignored when mentioned. Mention the South and Slavery and there will be whole threads of bashing. Mention the North and Slave lines and there will be crickets chirping.

Finally read the majority of this thread and it is depressing.

This so-called "Southern pride" is actually Southern white pride. How can it truly be Southern pride when it excludes a large portion of Southerners? I'm not talking about these phantom leagues of black "friends" who fly the Confederate flag. I am talking about your average black southerner whose ancestors were slaves and who would still be slaves if the Confederacy had anything to do with it.

The moral of the story is: The Confederate flag is a symbol of racism for many people. You may not be a racist, but do not be surprised when people assume you are one.

I noted that it was intentionally ignored when mentioned. Mention the South and Slavery and there will be whole threads of bashing. Mention the North and Slave lines and there will be crickets chirping.

To be fair the thread was actually about the Confederate flag.

We did bash the FF a bit earlier in the thread, as well as some discussion of the North owning slaves. No one disagreed though so the discussion didn't last very long.

I stated more than once, I am from Oklahoma, we own a gun, I like pick-ups but we do not own one because we do not need one, I like dogs, I am rather fond of banjo music...I watched an astonishing amount of Heehaw growing up. :lol:

Edited by Sis

The Civil War was a war that divided our country, why would anyone want to display something that came to mean division?

If I were to see a Confederate flag displayed on or in someone's home, I would be very uncomfortable. The history of our country involves a Civil War fought in order to keep a group of people in servitude to another group of people. Why would anyone display something that represented that? The answer from the teacher was very vague and it sounded like she didn't know how to answer. That would raise my hackles a little bit. Good luck on your decision with what to do!

I stated more than once, I am from Oklahoma, we own a gun, I like pick-ups but we do not own one because we do not need one, I like dogs, I am rather fond of banjo music...I watched an astonishing amount of Heehaw growing up. :lol:

Ah, this makes you a redneck, not necessarily a racist. Though banjo music is like a smoke alarm for us northern liberals.

Everyone that I have seen is in agreement that there were northern slave owners, that the north was fighting to preserve the union rather than free the slaves, etc. Nobody has come in and said, "some northern slave owners taught their slaves to read, they were good to them!" Since nobody has defended it, there is no argument about it.

Everyone that I have seen is in agreement that there were northern slave owners, that the north was fighting to preserve the union rather than free the slaves, etc. Nobody has come in and said, "some northern slave owners taught their slaves to read, they were good to them!" Since nobody has defended it, there is no argument about it.

I must have missed it, because I did not see this written by any of the main posters.