Menu

Dr Hive - Unexplained Weightloss

Help me think this through, please. What could be causing weight loss if one is already underweight for a "small frame" (even if that "frame" description may or may not be accurate), eats like a pig (lots of cheese and fats and bread, 3 meals and some snacks daily), has no presenting psychological issues causing appetite loss, doesn't purposely exercise, isn't unusually tired and otherwise feels fine, has regular bowel movements, and last physical showed everything was A-okay? I'm stumped.

Insulin and/or glucose issues would be one possibility that comes to mind. This seems to happen to me occasionally as I get older and need more modification of my diet. This was true for my dad too - a thin type 2 diabetic, he would lose weight when things were not under good control.

Too high or too low?

Either/both. With insulin resistance, cells require more insulin to get the same amount of glucose into cells that was previously handled with less insulin. I'd characterize it as a lack of control, I guess. Blood glucose levels might still be "normal" if a person is insulin-resistant but isn't a type 2 diabetic yet (in such case, a person may become a type 2 diabetic when the pancreas can't keep up with the ever-increasing demands for insulin and blood sugar goes higher). I don't know if I can explain it all properly. I'd particularly consider this angle if you have family history of insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, PCOS, etc.

Tons of things can cause weight loss. An evaluation for unexplained weight loss would include a more thorough history and physical exam, and more extensive lab tests than you would have had at a routine physical exam.

It's definitely worth a trip to the doctor.

See a doctor. Woman can experience weight fluctuations as part of their normal cycle...for example, I routinely am within a 5-lb range, depending on the time of the month....but an overall continuing weight loss, especially at your age (like you, I have kids over the age of 10, so I'm not calling you old or anything) should be investigated.

If this is a child with unexplained weight loss, I'd seek medical attention to screen for type I diabetes first. If that's negative, the doctor can screen for malabsorption issues, including celiac and enzyme deficiencies, etc.

If it's an adult, late onset type I is still a possibility, it's rare, but adults can be diagnosed with type I diabetes. Also, cancers often present with weight loss with no reason.

Help me think this through, please. What could be causing weight loss if one is already underweight for a "small frame" (even if that "frame" description may or may not be accurate), eats like a pig (lots of cheese and fats and bread, 3 meals and some snacks daily), has no presenting psychological issues causing appetite loss, doesn't purposely exercise, isn't unusually tired and otherwise feels fine, has regular bowel movements, and last physical showed everything was A-okay? I'm stumped.

was the thyroid checked at the last physical? I don't think it's checked unless there is a reason to check it.

was the thyroid checked at the last physical? I don't think it's checked unless there is a reason to check it.

Yes it was checked and everything was within normal range. But it wasn't checked beyond the normal testing (no in depth special testing was done).

Were blood tests given?

:)Thanks so much for the info, guys . There were blood tests done a while ago, but I don't think they were specifically looking for anything at the time, and all of them turned out fine (except for a Vitamin D deficiency). Possibly some more specific ones need to be taken.

• 5 months later...
Hyperthyroidism? I think it's more common in females.

Yes it was checked and everything was within normal range. But it wasn't checked beyond the normal testing (no in depth special testing was done).

Depending on what tests were run, thyroid problems can not show up on the test when they are there. I went undiagnosed for 15 years with Grave's Disease {hyperthyroid} because they didn't run the right tests to find it. If they only ran TSH and not free t3 and free t4, the test is useless.

My first thought was thyroid. I have hyperthyroid and they found out because I lost 15 lbs in two months while eating more then my husband. How are you sleeping? Any change in personality at all? (irritability, depression, anxiety)

Ditto :iagree: