Menu

Can't stop crying.

Yeah. School begins at 8:00 sharp, so they suggest dropping him off about 10-15 minutes early so that he can get into the classroom, put away his things and be ready to go at 8:00 (they open the doors early and the teachers arrive early for this purpose.)

Pick up isn't until 3:30 so overall you're looking at right around 7.75 hours assuming that the child is dropped off at 7:45.

OK no bus, but still a long day.

OK no bus, but still a long day.

OK, thanks!

Still. I think it can work for some families.

I don't know that I would do it, but I know so many wonderful families who use schools. I have wonderful hs friends, but I really don't see a huge difference in the kids, and I have been at this for a long time. Lovely families have remarkable and intelligent kids. It truly doesn't seem to matter where they 'school.' I also know some hs families who should consider a different path. Not many, but some. I also know some schooled families who would have been amazing and inspiring hs families!

I admit, I am not the best hser who ever walked the face of the earth as I do see shades of gray.

I can really see both sides of this.

Edited by LibraryLover

I would keep him home. You're crying and upset for a reason. You have done so much planning and looking forward to this time with him helping him learn and getting to be a part of that experience.

You will NEVER get this time back and he's only little once. I'm only going into my 4th year homeschooling since my DD is a 3rd grader now. Those K-2nd grade years are the BEST. It was so much fun learning together and taking field trips etc...:) Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Almost a full year ago I also put his name in a lottery for a local charter school just to keep all of our options open. Fast forward to today and we got a phone call that a spot just came open. .

I understand. :grouphug: My son got into a lottery public school I *really* didn't want to send him to because I thought it a poor fit. I was shocked he got in. (it was brand new with high academic ideals when 1dd was starting middle school, and she didn't get in. It really WAS for the best.) ds wanted to go there because his friend was going there automatically because his sisters went there. It was a disaster. (for his friend too.) I pulled him out.

best wishes and prayers in deciding what will be best for your son and your family.

I think it all depends on why you are upset and why you want to home school in the first place.

If it is truly a good school, I think I'd send him. He did well in the private kindergarten and is excited about the charter. Your husband liked the school.

If the charter doesn't work out, you can pull your son, but if you later regret not sending him to the charter it will be much more difficult to get him in later. There are many more charter slots for first grade students than for older grades. Slots for the older grades typically only become available if someone leaves the school which means that there may only be one slot for all of second grade next year. There might not be any slots for a lottery as he gets older.

But if you are homeschooling for reasons other than academics, or the school is somehow a bad fit, keep him home. Just be certain.

You are a good mom regardless of what decision you make. Be glad that you have a choice between two good options.

Christine

I do not have time to read all the post. Homeschooling is a ton of work. If you have your DH telling you every time you need a shoulder to cry on or a pat on the back and he says. You should have sent him. That is going to be bad on the marriage. 2nd if your son really wants to go (you need to talk to him. He is probably confused with mom crying and Dad saying go. He does not want to upset anyone) If he wants to go and you keep him home. I do not think it will be a pretty pic. :confused: But if he is wanting to be homeschooled and hubby says ok (really) Then the joy of not having sleepy kids in the morning and when you pick them up exhausted (been there) will be a blessing. I wish you had one first of hs'ing under your belt so hubby could see the real pic. I am sorry. But as others said you could send him and then pull him out :confused: i would be doing a ton of praying.

To me, it sounds like a mom's natural bonding with her young son is being threatened. I feel for you.

My experience with local so-called top-notch schools was not that impressive, once I really observed the day-to-day happenings. Looking back, having my child in our home environment was important in so many ways (esp at the young ages). As time moved on, academics took a more serious role; hs'ing offered opportunities that would have been impossible in a traditional school setting.

When I was in similar shoes many years ago, I chose the hs'ing route. I believe we share a priceless closeness because of that decision. Not always easy, but absolutely no regrets.

Follow your heart.:)

I would be calling the school to say that they can delight another family with the good news of an opening. :grouphug:

On the flip side, if your husband is adamant that this opportunity not be passed up, since he starts school soon, you can always give it a trial period and see how it goes for all of you. But if something isn't too terrible there, it would be harder to find a reason to bring him home. I'm hoping your husband softens to the idea of letting it go and homeschooling.

We were in the EXACT same situation. Great school. Lottery system. Both kids got in.

So we tried it for five months.

And pulled them out at Christmas.

Homeschooling has been a much, much better lifestyle for us. The charter school was just one red flag after another.

Alley

This happened to me. DS8 was in the lottery for a science-based charter school. We didn't hear back so I assumed we would homeschool and then he got in. We toured the school and he was very excited. Lasted until X-Mas when we pulled him. He was bored and acting out at home. He loves homeschool and never wants to go back. The only things he misses are recess and the 2 friends he made.

If your dh is really wanting him to go, I would send him. You'll never know for sure whether it's a good fit or not unless you give it a try.

If you don't send him, you may spend the whole year at odds with your dh, which could end up being a detriment to your homeschooling efforts. Plus, your ds is young. You have plenty of time to homeschool if the charter school doesn't work. Whether he goes one day or the whole year, you've got many years ahead.

I say give the charter school a try. My guess (and my experience with my ds) is that dh will find out soon enough that even the best of schools don't always live up to your expectations.

Most of all, I was excited about the time that ds and I would get to spend together and the freedom that we would have during that time. Now, with a longer than average school day, our time together will be even more limited.

I'd say the above says it ALL. There's your answer. Share this with your dh. May you both come to an agreement!

Just because there's a spot doesn't mean you have to take it. It sounds like you really, really wanted to homeschool. Why let that opportunity pass you by? I'd keep him home.

:iagree: But then, I took my kids out of a highly regarded school to homeschool. Later, I turned down spots in a charter school for two of my kids. The charter school has a waiting list of hundreds for the early grades; that doesn't make it the best choice for my kids.

Hope you're feeling better, I can honestly say that God has never let me down, when I am facing a decision like that..I pray earnestly that He will make it clear...and out of the woodwork comes special angels that have no idea what they said made the world so honestly clear to me and helped me know which way to go. I remember one time, I was praying hard about homeschooling and asked God to help me see His plan. We had lived in that town for 3 years and not once met a homeschooler! That night at gymnastics I just happened to be talking to a mom who I had sat next to and her daughter was in my girls' class...I knew she had lived there longer than I had and asked her what she thought of homeschooling and if she knew any....I was stunned to find out SHE homeschooled! We talked and I wrote down suggestions of books..the next morning I went to the library and checked out the books...there at the library I ran into 3 more families that homeschooled! They suggested a cool park I had not known about...went to the park and YES 3 MORE families that homeschooled!! I took that as a clear signal that God wanted me to do that...sometimes I'd like it in writing in the sky..but His way is usually more fun! :)

I wouldn't give up so easy. Consider not sending him anyway and moving forward with your homeschool plan! Make a careful, thoughtful appeal to your husband letting him know how you feel and why you want him home. Ultimately you want peace between your dh and you. But if you maturely and calmly express to him what you've expressed to us in a respectful way, he could very likely come to agree with you. If not, go with what dh decides and God will work things to good and bless you for sticking by your dh.

definitely believe that just because there is a waitlist at some school (charter, private, any kind of school), doesn't mean it's an opportunity that is necessarily better than homeschooling. Personally, the longer I homeschool, the more convicted I am that it's the best thing there is! I don't care if I had all the money in the world and the option of all the most incredible schools out there, I think homeschooling can be just as good and most often better and that's what I would do. That's just me. I realize not everyone feels that way. But in your situation, you want to homeschool him, you're able to, you're willing to, there's nothing keeping you from it, so I think you should still see if it can happen! And as far as your son's excitement. That's understandable. If your husband agrees to it after you talk with him, just think through how to present it to your son in a positive simple way and you can totally influence how positive and excited he will be. Even if not immediately, he can soon see how great of a thing it is as well.

Best of luck! I think he is fortunate to have a mom with such a caring and tender heart which tells me no matter what, he has a great future!

Edited by HayleyKC