Menu

Looking for a homemade bread recipe that is light and airy like store bought!

I want to make my own bread. I grind my own wheat but don't mind using half of the recommended flour as all purpose to get a lighter loaf. I've tried the recipe on King Arthur and while it tasted good it just wasn't light like loaf bread....anyone have any suggestions?

For my fluffy whole wheat bread I use vital wheat gluten so it won't be crumbly and I also use white wheat. Actually I use a mixture of both white and red wheat but it is the white wheat that gives me the light loaf. If you are grinding your wheat yourself it is important to make sure it is ground finely. I use an electric wheat grinder that will give a fine grind. Practice also helps.

Here is the recipe I use:

Whole Wheat Bread: 4 loaves

4 loaves are easier to knead with a big mixer. Mix ingredients in order in a large bowl. You may warm the bowl first by rinsing with hot tap water. Warm measuring cup first by rinsing with warm tap water. Then measure the water into the bowl. The water will cool somewhat by the time you pour it into your bowl. The water in your bowl should be slightly warmer than body heat, from 105-115 degrees. You may test it with an instant read thermometer.

Mix in Bowl: 6 cups warm water

3 or 4 Tb. yeast

1/2 cup powdered milk

3/4 cup oil

3/4 cup honey

(optional ingredient) ¼ C. ground flax seeds

Measure wheat, then grind:

2 cups red wheat

4 cups white wheat

Add (makes bread less crumbly): 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten

Mix. Cover bowl and let sponge for 10-15 minutes. Keep an eye on it in case it creeps up over the side of your bowl. After 10-15 minutes, stir down the dough.

Adding the flour and kneading is all about the "feel" of the dough. Add enough flour until dough cleans the sides of the bowl. This will not be an exact amount of flour, do not add too much. To tell when you have enough flour, do the finger test-- press finger and feel deep into the dough- is dough slack or firm? Too firm-- dough resists touch and strains the muscles in your finger as you press in. It is more clay-like. Add a small amount of water. Too slack--dough feels waterlogged. It has a runny quality. Finger goes into dough too quickly. Add a small amount of flour. At this point a good dough can still be moist and sticky yet soft and pliable but not too soft. Re-evaluate and adjust until dough is neither too slack nor too firm.

Measure then grind: 5-6 cups white wheat

Add 2 Tb. salt

Knead dough by hand on lightly floured surface for about 10 minutes or 300 strokes. Or in mixer for 4-7 minutes. Be careful not to over knead in an electric mixer. As you knead, the dough will loose it's stickiness and get more springy and smooth. Part way through kneading do the bubble gum test, and repeat until dough is ready: With clean, slightly moist fingers, pinch off a golf-ball sized piece of dough. Stretch and pull like a piece of bubble gum. At first it will stretch then tear. Continue kneading until dough is silky smooth. When the dough is ready it will stretch and pull like a piece of bubblegum that you can see through.

Let dough rest. When dough is done kneading, cover with a clean cloth or saran wrap or a big bowl, and let rest for 10 minutes before shaping into loaves. This allows the gluten to relax. Use this time to wash out your bowl, grease your bread pan (with shortening), and turn on the oven to 350 degrees.

Form loaves and let rise. Press dough into a circle about an inch thick. This will press out any air bubbles. Form dough into a loaf and put into greased pan. Cover and place in a warm spot on top of the stove. Rise in pan until about 1 inch above the top of pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Bread is done when:

-crust is evenly brown

-When you tip bread our of pan it slides out easily (done loaf shrinks slightly away from pan)

-When you tap bottom of loaf with your fingertips it has a hollow sound. If it sounds thick and muffled, put it back in the oven for another 10 minutes or so.

-If you have serrated knife that can cut bread without munching it, you can slice off one end close to the crust--when you poke the inside the bread will spring back. If your fingerprint remains, put the bread back in the oven for another 10 minutes or so.

So, had to make a Target trip today for a gift and no vital wheat gluten. I know I've seen Bob's stuff there before - bought some flax but alas, not there. Luckily, I remember to go check our health food store and they had it. So I came home and made up a lovely loaf of homemade bread that is light and airy and the kids say they will eat it for sandwiches!

So, now, the question is how do I store said loaf of bread? I used this pan:

41vlsfffW8L._SL110_.jpg that i got on Amazon and it worked great!

It is perfectly square and looks so much like what you buy! What is the best way to store? I do have an old bread bag but I've used it several times and it's getting a little icky!