Menu

Where to report?

Hi ladies. It's been a long time since I've been here- life has been very crazy around here. Broken down cars, working full time for the summer, a new relationship, family medical problems.... :svengo:

Anyways, with summer nearing an end, I'm (still) lost as to where to send my notice letter. I gave up my old apartment and we are staying with my parents for the summer. We move into our new apartment on September 1st. Should I report to the county my parents live in, or wait until we move in and report to the county we'll be living in during the school year?

I am leaning towards just reporting once we get moved in. But I don't want to create a problem by not reporting before school starts. The law says that I'm supposed to inform the school system 2 weeks before the school year starts. (Oh. I'm in Maryland. The county we are staying in right now is Charles, the county we are moving to is Wicomico.)

Here in GA the Declaration of Intent is due by Sep 1. If you move after that date to another county you need to submit a new DOI to the new county. You also need to include a note saying you'd been homeschooling in the old county and the number of days attendance you reported to them.

I'd call the BOE in the county you are moving to and request they send your Assurance of Consent forms to your parents' address. You can change it once you move. If they hassle you about mailing it out-of-county, you may have to go through your parents' county, then transfer over. It would be easier to just deal with one county.

Each county seems to interpret the law a bit differently and they may give out review dates early.

OR

You could register under an umbrella group and skip county reviews. Umbrella groups are not bound by county lines.