Menu

DD having troubles sleeping - melatonin?

Would you have any issues giving a 16 yo melatonin to help her sleep? I've cross examined her and it doesn't seem to be cycle related. It's been going on for a couple weeks now. It doesn't bother me what time she gets up, but today she wasn't up until after my run. Very unusual for her.

ETA: Sorry, she falls asleep and then wakes from midnight-2 and then again later.

No, I wouldnt.

I know melatonin is available over the counter in the U.S. but it isn't here, for good reason (not that I always agree with such laws).

It is a hormone. Playing around with hormones is something to be careful with. Its one thing for adults to play with their hormones- another for kids or teenagers.

I may be over cautious- but I just wanted to say its not something I would do.

I have given my sons melatonin for years. HOWEVER: they are on the autism spectrum and this was prescribed by their physician in addition to "foods to avoid" and some other supplements and some medications.

Before trying melatonin for her, have you looked at her routine? Exercise (not before bedtime)? Avoiding screen time and eating before bed? Drinking a calming tea such as chamomile? A relaxing "snack" of milk/banana/honey?

Melatonin is natural but it is not risk-free. I would check with her dr before using it.

No, I wouldnt.

It is a hormone. Playing around with hormones is something to be careful with. Its one thing for adults to play with their hormones- another for kids or teenagers.

:iagree:

I take melatonin for myself from time to time, but I would not give it to children or teens. I agree with Peela. It IS a hormone and that's enough reason for me to not give it to my dc.

They WILL sleep when they need to :). The body does take care of itself.

If a child or teen starts needing melatonin or any form of supplement that early, what will they need by the time they're say 40? It won't get any easier.

What about on a temporary basis like a month, just to help regulate sleep patterns? Dd has had trouble going to sleep for years. Thankfully we homeschool, or I don't know how she would get up early and function for school. My dh has trouble as well and takes melatonin during the school year. They just can't shut their brains down.

Before trying melatonin for her, have you looked at her routine? Exercise (not before bedtime)? Avoiding screen time and eating before bed? Drinking a calming tea such as chamomile? A relaxing "snack" of milk/banana/honey?

Thanks to you all! I knew there was a reason I was hesitant.

I have some "sleep" teas - blends with mostly chamomile. She'll drink tea so I'll tell her to try some.

my six yo has SPD, and trouble going to sleep and staying asleep are common. I took him to a naturopath to discuss his nutrition status and one of the first supplements she put him on was melatonin.

The kid who wouldn't willingly take supplements, and then only to take one particular mutli - learned to swallow a pill and started asking for the melatonin before he went to bed if I forgot to give it to him. He noticed the difference that much and he loves it.

No, I wouldnt.

I know melatonin is available over the counter in the U.S. but it isn't here, for good reason (not that I always agree with such laws).

I may be over cautious- but I just wanted to say its not something I would do.

Amen. I agree. I'm a pharmacy tech. Just because something is available over the counter does NOT mean it's safe. In the US one can buy natural supplements that, because they are considered supplements, do not have to undergo FDA approval. One of these is GABA, a neurotransmitter. That's not something people should be popping without a doctor's advice either.

If your dd is having trouble sleeping, see a doc. He may very well suggest melatonin, but he'll be in a position to monitor your dd.

Instead of melatonin I let my son have a small amount of my liquid magnesium supplement before bed. Magnesium is a natural muscle relaxant. It seems to help him, though he doesn't take it every night.

As others have said, I would try adding in exercise. Swimming especially makes my kids sleep well. Also monitor what she is eating and what type of activity she is doing just before bed. I have found that a little bit of sleep education was helpful for Ds who has issues with sleep at times. That way they learn what behaviors they are doing that contribute to sleep problems. My own personal favorite no-no is reading in bed. I know it adds to my sleep issues, but I enjoy it so much!

Shannon

I would have no problem with it. Melatonin is natural. I won't give my 9 year old son any medications (he has add/adhd, anxiety, mood issues) and I'm about to try him with a little melatonin.

ETA: My son is on the Autism spectrum and I have consulted with his pediatrician and a sleep specialty clinic at Boston Children's Hospital, both of which prescribed me to give this to him, along with *several* other very important strategies also mentioned on this thread.

It's not like I just ran out to CVS to buy it. But he's 9. He also has *real* long term sleep issues...several years now.

The pediatrician also recommended it for my older dd, but it really didn't do anything for her.

My 18yo is taking SomaRest just about every night for the past several months. She can't get to sleep otherwise. Her psychiatrist (ADHD) fully supports her taking it. Sleep is very important. Somarest has melatonin, magnesium, valerian root, l-tryptophan, and other ingredients that seem to really work for her. Melatonin by itself stopped working for her a long time ago.

My 15yo also takes Somarest when she just can't get to sleep, usually because her mind is racing and won't stop. She used to get results almost as good from melatonin alone, but it stopped working for her. She takes Somarest maybe 8-10x/year.

My 13yo takes Zyrtec. It was initially suggested by her doctor, but was supported by the psychiatrist (anxiety) and the rheumatologist. Sleep is crucial for her. They have all said that she needs to do whatever is necessary to make sure that she gets sleep at night. The less she sleeps, the more pain and anxiety she goes through. She also takes time-release melatonin or somarest on occasion, but zyrtec is what works best for her.

I'd have her in for a physical first. For some conditions melatonin actually causes sleeplessness. I can't take it because I have hyperthyroidism. Because of the hyperthyroidism the melatonin makes my insomnia worse instead of better. I'll be up for 48 hours after taking a melatonin.

It would be best to rule out anything first. Kids that have normal sleep pattern usually don't just stop sleeping well. Something causes or contributes to the sleeplessness. Fixing that generally will cause sleep patterns to return to normal. Adding any kind of sleep aid without fixing the initial problem may just make the person dependent on sleep aids. Then 25 years later you end up with someone like me who has to take ever stronger meds to get to sleep but the sleep is unnatural and not worth a flip.

Edited by Parrothead

My 18yo is taking SomaRest just about every night for the past several months. She can't get to sleep otherwise. Her psychiatrist (ADHD) fully supports her taking it. Sleep is very important. Somarest has melatonin, magnesium, valerian root, l-tryptophan, and other ingredients that seem to really work for her. Melatonin by itself stopped working for her a long time ago.

My 15yo also takes Somarest when she just can't get to sleep, usually because her mind is racing and won't stop. She used to get results almost as good from melatonin alone, but it stopped working for her. She takes Somarest maybe 8-10x/year.

My 13yo takes Zyrtec. It was initially suggested by her doctor, but was supported by the psychiatrist (anxiety) and the rheumatologist. Sleep is crucial for her. They have all said that she needs to do whatever is necessary to make sure that she gets sleep at night. The less she sleeps, the more pain and anxiety she goes through. She also takes time-release melatonin or somarest on occasion, but zyrtec is what works best for her.

zyrtec?? the allergy medicine? I've never heard of it used for anything else.

zyrtec?? the allergy medicine? I've never heard of it used for anything else.

I've heard of this, although the use of Benadryl for sleep issues is more common (it's the sleep med in the Tylenol and Advil PM formulas).

She was taking Benadryl at first, but it stopped working for her after several years, so now she's taking Zyrtec. She has had sleep issues for several years. I think the problem is that her joints slip during the night and cause her just enough pain to kick her out of deep sleep or to wake her up altogether. She also has a lot of anxiety about not being able to fall asleep and about waking up during the night (and then not being able to fall asleep again). She also has a prescription for hydroxyzine pamoate (an antihistamine that is often prescribed for anxiety and/or insomnia), but she hasn't taken it yet. The psychiatrist wrote up that prescription so she'd have it for if/when things got really bad.

I'm hoping the PT and OT (she starts on Thursday) will help to tighten up the appropriate muscles to keep her joints from slipping so frequently. It's not uncommon for her to be sitting in a chair and make just a slight motion and have her knee slip sideways. It's excruciating. It slides right back into place immediately, but it still hurts. She finally saw the rheumatologist just last week (LONG lead time for appointments). She prescribed PT and OT and wants to see her again in two months. Her joints seem "slippiest?" when she's relaxed. It's more common for her to have a joint slip while she's sitting or lying down than while she's actually doing something.

She has been getting to sleep just fine lately, but her sleep often isn't very effective. She slept 11 hours Sunday night, but woke up absolutely exhausted and feeling like she hadn't slept at all. I think that's due to joint pain in the night that kicks her out of deep sleep.

How much exercise is she getting?

Exercise is key.

Swimming and walking are really good as late afternoon or evening workouts. :)

Instead of melatonin I let my son have a small amount of my liquid magnesium supplement before bed.

As others have said, I would try adding in exercise. Swimming especially makes my kids sleep well. Also monitor what she is eating and what type of activity she is doing just before bed. My own personal favorite no-no is reading in bed.

Shannon is right. Magnesium is wonderful and a magnesium that most of us are deficient in. At least, to me, it's better than giving a child/teen a hormone.

Agreeing again about exercise and swimming especially, as well as types of foods, etc.

Warm showers or baths, hot milk or chamomile tea with honey help as well.

For sleep problems, I highly recommend reading a thoroughly boring book, like a dry textbook. :D That should do the trick. :lol:

I have lots of tips on sleeping. There are many teas and other supplements (mostly minerals and teas, which, to me, are far safer and better than melatonin and that can work as well). I can share them if you or anyone is interested. Nonetheless, I would first make lifestyle changes, etc. as previous posters have noted - exercise, magnesium, herb teas, warm showers, reading VERY boring books :).

I do believe that she WILL sleep when she needs to. I don't believe in becoming overly dependent on a sleep supplement, particularly at such a young age. Again, if a child or teen has to start taking stuff now, what will they need and how much later in life?

Edited by Negin in Grenada

I have lots of tips on sleeping. There are many teas and other supplements (mostly minerals and teas, which, to me, are far safer and better than melatonin and that can work as well). I can share them if you or anyone is interested.

I'm very interested. My 11yob has always been my worst sleeper. Last week he went to bed at 9:00pm and didn't fall asleep until after I gave him some Benedryl at 2:00am (I don't think I've ever done that before, but we had a big day coming up and he really needed the sleep.)

How much exercise is she getting? Calvin has extraordinary amounts of energy at the moment, and if he doesn't use it, he can't sleep. Four hours of heaving logs or stones about does not seem too much for him at present.

Laura

I just signed us both up for a 1/2 marathon in the fall. So for the next few months she'll be getting a lot. But the past little bit, I've been making sure she goes running quite bit so I could see she would follow through. Lack of exercise is not an issue.

As someone who took it when I was a teen, I would suggest against it. It is not stated to be addictive, but if you have insomnia, anything that gives you sleep will become addictive. Plus it can make you extremely drowsy and 'foggy' if you either don't get to sleep very shortly after taking it, or have to wake up too early the next morning. I experienced headaches and nausea on many occasions with it, and stopped it because of these effects.

I would recommend following the other ladies ideas of checking her pre-sleep schedule for anything that can cause problems sleeping. Also exercise in the mid-late afternoon can help.

I'm very interested. My 11yob has always been my worst sleeper.

Okay, here goes. Some of this may not be very practical or possible. I don't have time to edit my notes for a child. Guess you can just pick and choose what would work or is best for your situation.

EAT MORE

Walnuts contain melatonin which promotes restful sleep.

Plain Yogurt mixed with honey. Yogurt is high in tryptophan.

Whole grains – Fiber-rich foods such as brown rice, oats, and quinoa contain large amounts of tryptophan and melatonin.

Eat a complex carbohydrate snack a half-hour before bed.

Sunflower Seeds contain high levels of the amino acid tryptophan, which may help mitigate insomnia and depression by boosting serotonin and melatonin levels in the brain.

Fruit – Bananas, mangoes, figs, and dates are high in tryptophan

Other high-tryptophan foods: tuna, turkey, whole grain crackers, yogurt

Legumes – Black-eyed peas, lentils all help calm your nervous system. But legumes can be hard to digest for some. Pay close attention to how you feel after eating them. If you feel overly full, or gassy, have an upset stomach, or if you feel sluggish, skip legumes altogether or eat them in moderation.

EAT LESS

Think of night-time as clean-up time for the body. Desserts, cakes, and cookies can keep you up at night because of their high sugar content.

Fatty, High-Protein Foods – Red Meat

Caffeine

High-Sugar, Empty-Calorie Sweets – Cakes, cookies

Cold Foods – Salads, smoothies, ice cream

Avoid spicy foods, especially in the evenings

Avoid large meals within 2-3 hours before bedtime

Avoid caffeine 6 hours before bedtime. The half life of caffeine, the time it takes for half of it to be broken down, is between 3 and 7 hours -- so if your last cup was at 1 PM, you still have a quarter of it left in your system at 3 AM.

Avoid big meals close to bedtime.

if you have insomnia, anything that gives you sleep will become addictive.

SUPPLEMENTS

It’s best to not be overly dependent on any on supplement, that is, to try to avoid taking any supplement every single day, to rotate them; or, better yet, to take a break every month from each particular supplement, to rotate them monthly. Otherwise, your body will become desensitized and the supplement may very well be less effective.

Magnesium – Think of magnesium as the relaxation mineral.

Helps maintain healthy melatonin levels

Marvelous for just about everything including periodic nocturnal awakenings when it can coax you gently back to sleep

Take equal amounts of calcium and magnesium. For most people on a healthy diet, 500 mg of each supplement should be enough.

If you have symptoms of magnesium deficiency – if you’re feeling edgy, have muscle cramps, suffer insomnia, crave chocolate, or notice increased urination, adjust your calcium-magnesium ratio, so that you’re taking at least as much magnesium or—ideally—twice as much magnesium as calcium.

400-1200 mg daily of Magnesium is helpful but use according to bowel tolerance. Your body knows how much magnesium you can tolerate from bowel tolerance – take as much magnesium as your bowels can tolerate

Add 100 mg of magnesium to your nutritional supplements, and increase it by 100 mg every few days until your stools are soft, but not uncomfortably loose.

Take in divided doses and with meals to ensure optimal absorption – preferably more at night

Calcium, magnesium, and many other minerals are best absorbed when they are bound to an acidic carrier such as citrate, aspartate, picolinate, or amino acid chelate. Minerals need an acidic base to break down and get used.

The most absorbable forms are magnesium citrate, glycinate taurate, or aspartate, although magnesium bound to Kreb cycle chelates (malate, succinate, fumarate) are also good.

Avoid magnesium carbonate, oxide, sulfate, and gluconate. They are poorly absorbed (and the cheapest and most common forms found in supplements).

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to magnesium glycinate.

Most minerals are best taken as a team with other minerals in a multi-mineral formula.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.

Taking a hot bath with Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) is a good way to absorb and get much needed magnesium. Insomnia is one of the many symptoms of a magnesium deficiency.

Do not exercise within 2 hours before bedtime. Exercising 5-6 hours before bedtime may help you sleep more soundly. The only exception is gentle swimming. Swimming, like a hot bath, helps with sleep.

In the hours before bedtime, slow down - no more trips to the kitchen, no late night emails or anxiety-provoking conversations or projects, physical or mental, nothing that speeds the heart and raises body temperature. Find some way of making a barrier between the day and sleep. Leave the day at the bedroom door.