Menu

Transition from SAHM to working full time Mom and homeschool...

It looks like I'm going to be going to work full time for the first time in 8 years. I will be doing night shift work 3 shifts per week. I'd like to hear from those that have BTDT about how to transition into this new role. I'm not sure I should continue homeschooling. I don't want my children's school to suffer. Any helpful advice would be great. Thanks!

I've worked and homeschooled. Honestly, it is hard. Cut yourself some slack on meals and the house. Make time for yourself. Get yourself a pedicure occasionally, stock some freezer meals, and prep your school work as much ahead of time as possible. You'll do fine. It can be done. It just takes a while to get into a routine.

Do school in the evening. You homeschool, there are no rules that say you have to do school 8am to 2:30pm. We do some of our best brainstorming in the evening after dinner.

I agree with the PP, freeze stuff. When I cook I try to double what I am cooking so I don't cook every day. I freeze or refrigerate it and eat leftovers later.

Try a block schedule (I am experimenting with it this year!). That might be helpful.

You will have to be more organized but it can be done. I work 25-30 hours a week and still homeschool.

It can be done! :)

Are you a nurse? I went back to work in July. NICU RN. I am going to be doing 2-3 nights per week, as well. Are you doing 12 hour shifts?

Biggest question-when are you going to sleep? My kids are older (12, 11, 9 and 5). The youngest will be in PS K this year, but the three older are at home. I can count on them to do something productive and not burn the house down while I get a few hours sleep. Yours are little, though. You can definitely work and homeschool, as long as you have some childcare so you can sleep!!

I'm all ears on this thread. My first night shift is Sunday night.

Jennifer

It looks like I'm going to be going to work full time for the first time in 8 years. I will be doing night shift work 3 shifts per week. I'd like to hear from those that have BTDT about how to transition into this new role. I'm not sure I should continue homeschooling. I don't want my children's school to suffer. Any helpful advice would be great. Thanks!

My advice is to hand over much of the cooking and housework to your husband, whether he likes it or not.

You cannot work those hours, and homeschool and acre for the home. If you are taking on most of the homeschooling, in addition to your job, he needs to be taking on much of the rest.

I'm newbie so not sure this will be helpful. I originally thought I would have to after school but I was able to take on 3rd shift hours 3 x a week so I'm fully committed to HS now.

I work 3- 10 hour shifts [ER]. I arrive home at 6am ish-depending on how busy we are. I *try* to go straight to bed but that sometimes does not always happen-4th wind and all.

I meal plan ahead and post it on the fridge. I will throw the crock pot on in the AM before bed OR DH is in charge of Dinner. Everyone helps around the house.

When I wake up-we do school. Right now b/c we are still getting are feet wet we are doing 2 subjects [math/Grammar] so it's not at all time consuming. DH will be doing science so I wont have to worry about that.

My work schedule is nice b/c I am on one day then off for 2....so I can catch up on sleep on the off days and school later in the day/evenings when I don't have to work. I am also working on trying to build DD independence so she can do some of the more independent school things while I sleep.

I've worked and homeschooled. Honestly, it is hard. Cut yourself some slack on meals and the house. Make time for yourself. Get yourself a pedicure occasionally, stock some freezer meals, and prep your school work as much ahead of time as possible. You'll do fine. It can be done. It just takes a while to get into a routine.

Freezer meals. I'm gonna have to start on that now. LOL :)

Do school in the evening. You homeschool, there are no rules that say you have to do school 8am to 2:30pm. We do some of our best brainstorming in the evening after dinner.

I agree with the PP, freeze stuff. When I cook I try to double what I am cooking so I don't cook every day. I freeze or refrigerate it and eat leftovers later.

Try a block schedule (I am experimenting with it this year!). That might be helpful.

You will have to be more organized but it can be done. I work 25-30 hours a week and still homeschool.

It can be done! :)

I'm glad to know that it's possible. I may put my youngest in pre-k a couple of days a a week to help.

Are you a nurse? I went back to work in July. NICU RN. I am going to be doing 2-3 nights per week, as well. Are you doing 12 hour shifts?

Biggest question-when are you going to sleep? My kids are older (12, 11, 9 and 5). The youngest will be in PS K this year, but the three older are at home. I can count on them to do something productive and not burn the house down while I get a few hours sleep. Yours are little, though. You can definitely work and homeschool, as long as you have some childcare so you can sleep!!

I'm all ears on this thread. My first night shift is Sunday night.

Jennifer

CNA. I have NO idea when I'm going to sleep. LOL Maybe I could hire one of the teenagers to come over a couple of times a week and hang out with the kids while I get some sleep? This is all new to me.

My advice is to hand over much of the cooking and housework to your husband, whether he likes it or not.

You cannot work those hours, and homeschool and acre for the home. If you are taking on most of the homeschooling, in addition to your job, he needs to be taking on much of the rest.

The man couldn't cook if his life depended on it, but he CAN clean. LOL He also agreed to help me with the homeschooling, and with school only taking an hour or so per day maybe that would help out. We use AAS which should be open and go for whoever is teaching them that day.

I'm newbie so not sure this will be helpful. I originally thought I would have to after school but I was able to take on 3rd shift hours 3 x a week so I'm fully committed to HS now.

I work 3- 10 hour shifts [ER]. I arrive home at 6am ish-depending on how busy we are. I *try* to go straight to bed but that sometimes does not always happen-4th wind and all.

I meal plan ahead and post it on the fridge. I will throw the crock pot on in the AM before bed OR DH is in charge of Dinner. Everyone helps around the house.

When I wake up-we do school. Right now b/c we are still getting are feet wet we are doing 2 subjects [math/Grammar] so it's not at all time consuming. DH will be doing science so I wont have to worry about that.

My work schedule is nice b/c I am on one day then off for 2....so I can catch up on sleep on the off days and school later in the day/evenings when I don't have to work. I am also working on trying to build DD independence so she can do some of the more independent school things while I sleep.

We are going to keep it to LA/Math when we start, too. The other subjects will be covered in reading for now. I'm honestly wondering if I need to send my kids to public school, but I hate the thought of that. :confused:

oh wow your kids are little,

I didn't do it till my oldest was in high school.

it wasn't easy. but I was also gone and he was home alone doing his work

They are little. I could do day shifts, but I just hate to be gone all day.

I'm honestly wondering if I need to send my kids to public school, but I hate the thought of that. :confused:

They are little. I could do day shifts, but I just hate to be gone all day.

If hsing is something you feel deeply about and desire that the most for your dc, then you CAN make this work! In the beginning it feels overwhelming, but in time you get a rhythm going and you also start to realize that there are many opportunities to teach and make sure the kids get their lessons effectively (i.e. school in the evening vs. during the morning, lessons on the weekend with days off during the week, etc.) Like someone else mentioned, you don't have to do it the traditional way in order to succeed. You don't have to follow the same schedule as schools do, you don't have to follow the same calendar as schools do, you don't have to structure anything other than the way it works for you and your family.

I have to work too and I'm going to be adding more hours on to the schedule I already have, but there's no way I'm going to compromise on dd's education. Even though we have to move things around to allow for my work hours, she's still getting a much better education - not to mention the type of socialization that influences her in a positive way. We will make this work because dh and I know it's all in her best interest.

Blessings to you as you explore the many options that are there and as you transition to an adjusted lifestyle. Be encouraged, there are others here in the Hive that will offer support whenever you need it.

Lucinda

If hsing is something you feel deeply about and desire that the most for your dc, then you CAN make this work! In the beginning it feels overwhelming, but in time you get a rhythm going and you also start to realize that there are many opportunities to teach and make sure the kids get their lessons effectively (i.e. school in the evening vs. during the morning, lessons on the weekend with days off during the week, etc.) Like someone else mentioned, you don't have to do it the traditional way in order to succeed. You don't have to follow the same schedule as schools do, you don't have to follow the same calendar as schools do, you don't have to structure anything other than the way it works for you and your family.

I have to work too and I'm going to be adding more hours on to the schedule I already have, but there's no way I'm going to compromise on dd's education. Even though we have to move things around to allow for my work hours, she's still getting a much better education - not to mention the type of socialization that influences her in a positive way. We will make this work because dh and I know it's all in her best interest.

Blessings to you as you explore the many options that are there and as you transition to an adjusted lifestyle. Be encouraged, there are others here in the Hive that will offer support whenever you need it.

Lucinda

This is a great post. Thank you so much for the encouragement.