Menu

Ovarian cancer/Chemo drug shortages

My mom's ovarian cancer has returned for the third time which means her chemo options are becoming more limited. The docs suggested Doxil this time but after receiving one round the drug is not available until fall due to a shortage. Other chemo options for ovarian cancer are in short supply also. This is perplexing to me. Why would life-prolonging drugs like these suffer from shortages? Has anyone else experienced this?

It is a problem with all kinds of medicines.

It is a problem. I know the FDA puts limits on how much controlled substances are allowed to be manufactured, but this has really become a problem. I am surprised this is still going on, since this isn't new. I noticed this happening 18 months ago.

She went for her treatment last week and was told there wasn't any. The alternate choice also couldn't be given for some reason due to bloodwork results.

She has angiosarcoma.

Doxil was such a blessing, only once a month, no hair loss. The alternate choice is three weeks on, one week off and has many side effects. And she will loose her hair again when it is finally almost likable for her.

It makes me so sad for her.