Menu

Suggestions for the most "complete" unit studies.

mystika1

Hi,

I am looking to combine my two children using unit studies.(ages 4 and 8) I would like to use something that does it all or mostly all. I know math is going to be separate but it would be sooooo nice to have the rest included in the study. Any suggestions? I have used FIAR with my oldest which was very nice and we had fun but I think it is time to move on.

Thanks,

Penny

Christian Cottage has great unit studies. We have used Konos and Learning Adventures and love both of them. However I think the Learning Adventures would be advanced 4th-8th grade but they have just come out with supplements that go along for the younger crowd. It is inexpensive and very easy to use. It covers everything except Math.

I am planning on using Paths of Exploration from Geomatters in later elementary (you can start it as early as 2nd grade). It is the first level of a three year US History program that covers everything except math. It is very CM though so you have to agree with that type of LA. They are also working on a three year world history unit study to follow this one. We are going to use KONOS next year as well as some other unit studies I have purchased on CurrClick and some of my own unit studies.

Right now, we are doing a do it yourself unit study. We are taking a trip around the world and spending 1-2 months per continent. We might actually spend 2 years doing this though because we are having so much fun!

I would highly recommend getting Valerie Bendt's books if you are really considering creating your own unit studies. She is really good at showing how easy it is to incorporate everything into a unit study. Also, Ruth Beechick's book The 3 R's is really good (especially the language arts section). It is VERY easy to incorporate LA into your unit study based on the books you are reading. I was horrified at first at the thought of doing my own unit studies, but it is really a lot of fun. I always tweak everything anyway!

Guest IdahoMtnMom

Winter Promise Animals and their Worlds would be good for both a 4 year old and an 8 year old... You can buy the early learners and the older kids as a combo.

• 2 months later...