Menu

Do we really need 3g connection for an Ipad?

We are seriously considering getting an Ipad, mainly because dh has a lot of neck issues from his many years as a programmer, and when he's at home he can't really get on our computer (and certainly can't use a laptop) to surf the net. Also, it would be really nice for some educational apps for the kids.

We have wifi at home, and I have an iphone for when we're on the road. We really don't want to pay yet another monthly service bill. Is there any compelling reason why we would need to get 3g? Is there some big deal reason we are missing?

Thanks so much!

I just got a wifi iPad. I love it! There are some times that I wish I had 3G but those times are limited.

What were the times you wished you had it?

To everyone else - thank you! I'm feeling better that we might be able to pull this off. The price between WiFi only and 3G puts us over the edge, and then to pay $20/mo for the service . . . we just can't really afford it. But I wanted to make sure we wouldn't regret buying the wifi only.

We have the wifi only version of the iPad also, and it hasn't been a problem since we use it mainly at home. When I've used it elsewhere, it's mostly places that have free wifi such as hotels or libraries, so it hasn't been an issue. I don't think 3g is necessary, but it really depends on how you intend to use the device.

Edited by fastforward
clarification of a word

I am in Europe and bought 3G with mine even though I do not use it here.

We went to the states last month and I bought the 3G service for one month and I LOVED it!!

I use a (free) Text application already so I didn't use the phone a lot but I did use the text app. over 3G and it helped when we were needing instant direction. After we returned home I shut it off.

I would reccommend getting the option so you can activate it if you need it at a later time - even if it is only for a month, here and there.

If you live in an area like here where even a lot of the fast food places have free wifi, there's limited need.

For me, if I was getting an ipad now I'd consider it mostly for on the go (car trips, bus trips, bus stops, etc.).

We opted for the 3G on the iPad so that when we're traveling, if we don't have a WiFi connection, we can order the 3G on an as needed basis. So far, since December, when I got the iPad for Christmas, we've used it twice (so paid for two months of service) - and I was glad we had the option.

I don't have 3G on the iPad. If I need internet when I am without a wifi, I use my iPhone as a hot spot.

This is what I was thinking. Can you tell me more about it? As I understand it, I activate the hotspot feature on my iphone and pay $20 for the month, is that current? And then I disconnect it when I am done?