Menu

How much is too much when paying for clothes?

I know we've talked every type of clothing under the sun, but have we ever talked price? The reason I'm asking is, I think I'm DONE with Target, Kohls and most mall stores. I have returned clothes to JCPenny's so many times this year, my dh refuses to shop there with me :lol: I broke down and spent $75 on a pair of jeans last year (Macy's), and they're the only pair that still fit perfect, and look GREAT on me. All my shirts except for the ones I spent over $25 on at boutiques are falling apart or fading, and don't get me started on bras and undies. I just dropped a chunk of money today on a pair of jeans, a pair of capris, a top and a dress. I'm not kidding! And I can't decide whether to feel guilty, or ecstatic that I finally have some grown up clothes that make me look cute!

Am I being ridiculous? People are always telling me to go to the discount places but I can't ever find anything there that fits me right! And I'm a size 10!

So, what's your cut off? How high are you willing to go on a GREAT pair of jeans? A Blouse? A FABULOUS dress? :bigear: Someone make me feel better, or shame me into returning the clothes!:lol:

Blessings!

Dorinda

PS Not that it matters, but the dress was 1/3 of the total cost.;)

Edited by coffeefreak
took out the $ amount to make the discussion a little more neutral

I have a mix of super-cheap and just...regular cheap. :D

I do find that the clothes from department stores fit better than those from discount stores (JCPenney vs Target, for example). I like to go to the JCP outlet to find cheap prices on nicer clothes.

I've never bought "really good" clothes.

Except for my sports bra--that was almost $70! Worth.every.penny.

If you have the money, I think you should buy whatever works for you. If sizing and quality are important enough to you to spend that much and you have that much to spend, then do so without guilt.

:iagree: I have a very hard time buying from the discount places. The vast majority of the things I've bought in Target, Walmart, Kohls, and stores like that have either shrunk so badly as to be unwearable after a few washings, worn badly, faded badly, etc. And that's assuming I can find something that fits and is comfortable in the first place.

That said, $300 is a lot for me right now. I tend to buy from Lands End because of their stellar return policy (though I find their quality to be declining these days :() and Eddie Bauer--I shop both when they're having good sales, and I buy good basics. I occasionally buy jeans from Lane Bryant when I can find them in a good material (more denim, very little polyester, if any). These places provide the best quality, style, and fit for me right now on my budget.

I broke down and spent $75 on a pair of jeans last year (Macy's), and they're the only pair that still fit perfect, and look GREAT on me. [snip] I just dropped $300 today on a pair of jeans, a pair of capris, a top and a dress.

That's way too much for me. I can't spend that much--we'd go broke. I spent $45 on a dress this spring, and that was more than I wanted to pay, but I really needed one and it was the only one that fit and flattered me (and the only one that didn't look awful on me). At that rate, I could buy almost 7 items for that $300. But I typically spend $0-$12 on shirts (I use $10 off $10 coupons), and $20-$30 on jeans.

I'm totally intrigued! What did you buy?

It's totally relative, isn't it? I was sitting here with DH realizing I paid full price for a swimsuit this year too. Is it getting harder to find decent sales, or do you just have to work harder?

WendyK- That WAS my budget this year too! I've also spent more than that on my oldest dd, and we're not even into September:glare: I wonder if clothes are going up too. . .Or maybe I'm getting lazy. And no, I would never cut into my household budget to buy clothes, and maybe that's where it's relative too. When we were struggling, we wore a lot of denim jumpers, t-shirts and clothes that didn't really fit us but were "good enough," from second hand stores. Don't get me wrong, I got some GREAT clothes there, but now that I don't have to shop there, I don't want to.

Sorry, I'm really thinking out loud about this, aren't I?:001_smile: It's just hard sometimes when you have friends that are struggling, and you've BTDT to feel totally comfortable spending money that you thought you'd NEVER spend on something. You know, like curriculum!:lol:

It's in situations like this that I realize why my mother's generation didn't talk about money. I have the cutest dress to wear to a wedding in two weeks, and everyone is going to ask what I spent and where I got it, and I'm going to have to say for the first time, "I didn't get it on sale, but it was worth it.:001_smile:"

I buy almost all of my clothes at thrift stores. Pants & shirts are about $3-$4 each there, and jeans are $3-$5 per pair. I am able to find some REALLY nice pieces at the thrift store--sometimes with tags still attached. I can dress nicely at only a fraction of the cost of what I'd pay at the mall. I try on everything, and only buy comfortable clothing that fits and looks good on me. I sometimes shop at Walmart, but only the clearance racks. I probably spend less than $100 per year on clothes. I do spend more money for good shoes, but even then, I shop outlet stores.

Edited by ereks mom

:iagree: I have a very hard time buying from the discount places. The vast majority of the things I've bought in Target, Walmart, Kohls, and stores like that have either shrunk so badly as to be unwearable after a few washings, worn badly, faded badly, etc. And that's assuming I can find something that fits and is comfortable in the first place.

That said, $300 is a lot for me right now. I tend to buy from Lands End because of their stellar return policy (though I find their quality to be declining these days :() and Eddie Bauer--I shop both when they're having good sales, and I buy good basics. I occasionally buy jeans from Lane Bryant when I can find them in a good material (more denim, very little polyester, if any). These places provide the best quality, style, and fit for me right now on my budget.

I've done well at Land's End and Eddie Bauer too. I was bummed when Land's End didn't have any swimsuits for me this year. I bought all my T-shirts from Eddie Bauer this year and they all look brand new even though I've worn them to death!:D

My summer clothes I buy at Target, Kohls, Sams, Costco, etc. I find that they don't last as long no matter where I buy them.

Winter clothes I tend to buy higher quality from stores such as Nordstroms, Coldwater Creek, Dillards,GAP, etc. I wear them year after year and like the higher quality fabrics and construction.

Just what I tend to do.

Why are you feeling guilty? There is an old saying somewhere about buying something once of quality than over and over again at discount.

If the clothes are of good quality and of a timeless style, they will last a long time.

:iagree:

And I don't know why I feel guilty. I think I will stop now.:001_smile:

I buy almost all of my clothes at thrift stores. Pants & shirts are about $3-$4 each there, and jeans are $3-$5 per pair. I am able to find some REALLY nice pieces at the thrift store--sometimes with tags still attached. I can dress nicely at only a fraction of the cost of what I'd pay at the mall. I try on everything, and only buy comfortable clothing that fits and looks good on me. I sometimes shop at Walmart, but only the clearance racks. I do spend more money for good shoes, but even then, I shop outlet stores.

I buy basics at thrift stores, work clothes, and just about anything else I can pick up. I have absolutely zero clothing budget, so when I spent $7 for 2 pairs of pants a a t-shirt for work that was really all we could spend. But, I got good brand clothes that fit well. In browsing the racks, I have seen a lot of nicer brand clothing-- plus they have every single color and shade of the rainbow--where clothing stores only carry their specific color-coordinating lines and basics each season. Talk abotu frustrating.

I hate shopping sales- but I don't buy anything unless its on clearance or at least 50%+ off.

Even when I shop at thrift stores, I wait until I snag a 50% clothing purchase coupon from the penny ads... and then go stock up

Do you think we're seeing less good, quality clothes that last at an affordable price? Or do you think there are still some stores that produce them? And, if you've found them where are they?:bigear:

I had a thread about this a couple of weeks ago. EVERY SINGLE item that I bought new in the last 3 years has not lasted. And they're expensive IMO.

I buy almost all of my clothes at thrift stores. Pants & shirts are about $3-$4 each there, and jeans are $3-$5 per pair. I am able to find some REALLY nice pieces at the thrift store--sometimes with tags still attached. I can dress nicely at only a fraction of the cost of what I'd pay at the mall. I try on everything, and only buy comfortable clothing that fits and looks good on me.

I agree - this is what I decided! I'll just buy at the thrift store. I went yesterday becaue I need clothes to begin teaching again this fall. I tried on everything that might possibly work, and found 4 pairs of pants, 2 skirts, and multiple tops. In addition, I bought some clothes for my twins, and my dd who came with me got a good selection of clothes also. For $100. And I know they'll last!

Why are you feeling guilty? There is an old saying somewhere about buying something once of quality than over and over again at discount.

If the clothes are of good quality and of a timeless style, they will last a long time.

:iagree: I have stuff from Target, Kohls, etc. It's more more expensive stuff that lasts for years and I go back to again and again because of better fit. I don't buy all my stuff high end for sure, but in many cases it pays for itself over time. I also buy expensive shoes for day to day use - I'll buy cheap dress shoes.

I don't think it matters how much you spend on clothes. If you are within your personal budget for clothing and are choosing things you love that look great and will last, then just enjoy it!

Everyone has a different budget and a different outlook on clothing. I have friends that have VERY large clothing "budgets" but still prefer to shop at Target because they would rather have 5 cute cardigans that they will wear for the year and then discard than 1 really nice cardigan that would last 5 years. It really just depends on your budget and your preferences!

Regardless - tell us about the dress! What color/style/etc :D I'm 8 mos pregnant and seriously missing shopping right now, so I'm needing to live vicariously through other people :D

I have a mix of super-cheap and just...regular cheap. :D

I do find that the clothes from department stores fit better than those from discount stores (JCPenney vs Target, for example). I like to go to the JCP outlet to find cheap prices on nicer clothes.

I've never bought "really good" clothes.

Rofl - I have the super-cheap (we shop at Savers because my kids go through clothes so fast!!) and the regular cheap (generally Walmart) - I just don't particularly care about clothes...

If clothes are important to you, and you have the funds available, by all means buy what you like!! If you don't have it in the budget, don't get it (like them or not!).

I buy my regular-use shoes for $10 at Walmart, but I paid $150 or so for my SUPER NICE riding boots!!! To me, it was worth it - they are high quality and have lasted 7+ years and I love them. :) My 7yo goes through shoes so fast that I won't ever spend more than $15 on a pair for him - if he wants something fancy, he can buy it himself :D

I shop at Macy's for the most part. I will on occasion shop online at Belk.com. I also like Christopher and Banks for skirts. All my skirts are from Christopher and Banks.

I don't do thrift stores because I just really have the hardest time wearing someone else's clothes.

I don't buy clothes at Target or Walmart since they just fall apart or look funny after being washed once.

Kohl's is okay, but I don't ever go that direction. I have a few things from there, but they feel a bit frumpy after I get them home.

Penney's is where I buy clothes for dd. I have a hard time finding anything age appropriate for me at Penney's.

Macy's on sale is affordable for me. Although I wouldn't buy a pair of jeans for $75. I can get two pairs of Levis for that and be happy.

I don't buy clothes from Target anymore for any of us because they just don't last. I don't like Kohl's because I really don't think their clothes are worth what they ask. We have two huge outlet malls just down the street and I get most of our clothes there. I usually shop at Eddie Bauer and get the dds things at Old Navy. The clothes I've purchased at these two places usually last a while. Younger dd gets lots of hand me downs because they're still in great condition. The most I've spent on a pair of jeans is $50 and I think that's reasonable. I don't think $75 is too much if they fit well and last long.

Many of my friends buy clothing from thrift stores, garments which look very nice! I never have tried this approach; however, I suspect that I have a psychological hang-up about it because I grew up wearing my cousins' outgrown, very ugly clothing.

Most of my clothing these days come from the places disliked by other posters -- Target, Walmart, and Kohl's. Occasionally Lands' End. I create ensembles using pieces from the different stores, and it is not easy to guess where I purchased an outfit by looking at me. Everything I buy lasts for years. (Things remain looking good wash-after-wash because I use cold water, and hang-to-dry.) The only reason that I buy more clothing is that my weight continues to increase. (Thank you, fibromyalgia and perma-wrecked leg. :glare: )

People even comment favorably on my clothing. [ :001_huh: ]

Where I have to spend painfully high sums is at the shoe store. I wear a size 8-1/2 length, AAAA-width.

As for Kohl's, it is Land of the Never-Ending Sale. After all these years, I can tell when the sale price really is one.

Edited by Orthodox6

I shop at Macy's for the most part. I will on occasion shop online at Belk.com. I also like Christopher and Banks for skirts. All my skirts are from Christopher and Banks.

I don't do thrift stores because I just really have the hardest time wearing someone else's clothes.

I don't buy clothes at Target or Walmart since they just fall apart or look funny after being washed once.

Kohl's is okay, but I don't ever go that direction. I have a few things from there, but they feel a bit frumpy after I get them home.

I like some Macy's lines. Some are just cheaper quality. I find myself with a lot of LL Bean because I need tall pants and those are hard to find for women! I do Ann Taylor or Talbot's for date clothes. But I have to hit Talbot's fast because there must be at least one more tall woman in this town and she has my taste. She's a khakis/off white shirt person too.

For the kids, I'm a Gymboree and Hanna shopper. I would rather buy them less but have pieces I know will make it a full year or more.

I don't buy clothes. My dd asked me the other day why I wore '70s pants and I told her it was because I got them in the '70s. :tongue_smilie: I mostly have free t-shirts or hand-me-downs from my dds. My family buys me socks and pjs and gives me gift cards for unders. If I was buying my own clothes then I think about $50 for good jeans and maybe $20-$30 for shirts. Cheap undies but more for bras and definitely more for a good pair of shoes. I hate spending money on clothes though.

Everything I buy lasts for years. (Things remain looking good wash-after-wash because I use cold water, and hang-to-dry.)

Well, then I'm not doing something right, because I use cold water, gentle cycle, and hang dry and everything still looks like crap after a couple washings.

It all depends on the quality and how it fits, and how classic is it. Then there are T shirts which I destroy like a pack of rabid moths.

Though, Dd16 got a *gorgeous* Calvin Klein jacket for 8 bucks at the thrift the other day. I don't think it's been worn at all.

I always think of it this way-if I spend a lot of money on clothes that fit well and look good on me, I wear them often and keep them for years. If I buy cheap clothes that fit only so-so and don't look as good I wear them less and they fall apart after a year or two. When I take both of those things into consideration, I realize that the expensive clothes, per wear, are actually less expensive than the cheap clothes and I look better in them, so it really becomes a win-win. As long as you aren't putting off paying the electric bill or buying food in order to buy clothes you shouldn't feel guilty.

OP, I have been thinking the same thing as you lately. The clothing I wear regularly are the high(er :D)-end clothes for which I paid (while mentally gasping) full price because the clothes were in season. I don't know that I'm ready to spend $75 for a pair of jeans, but where I live those jeans are likely to only be worn a couple months a year. I will spend $$$$$ on shoes and bras, though, not for vanity but for quality that will last for decades.

OTOH, I shop sales at discount stores each season for tees, cardigans, and tank tops, knowing that they will only last a season. Those turn into pajamas or the SAHM equivalent of "play clothes." :lol:

I pay $100+ for my tennis shoes as it is either top quality that go with my custom inserts or surgery.

On the flip side, I cringe when I have to pay more than $2.99 for jeans. I will occ. pay $4.99 if they are a really good brand that fit well. Most of mine I get at the thrift store where regular price is $1....and often I get them 1/2 off so 50 cents a pair.

I have a few nice things but we have a hobby farm and much of my time is spent in the barn, etc. Today I was painting at our new house and then picking up sticks/roots/stumps out of the newly plowed fields.....no need for nice clothing there.

I would like a few nice classic pieces that fit really well for dress up.

I love clothes from Macy's and Belks, but I've had good luck shopping sales. It seems like with the economy being so bad, the good dept store sale prices are nearly as cheap as the discount stores, and the clothes are better quality. I got fabulous jeans at Macy's the Saturday after Thanksgiving for $25/each. The shoes are never quite so cheap, though, but good shoes will last just about forever.

I will spend money on a good pair of blue jeans. I think the highest I have ever paid was around 80 bucks. I am very curvy down there :blush: and need more fabric to cover everything up. I'm not that big (size 12) but it just seems like I need a size 16 pant behind. Anyways, I don't pay much for shirts. I don't like paying more than $10 for shirts. Never tried the thrift store route. I might look into that. I like going to Ross's for shirts and dresses. But to the OP, if you have the money don't feel guilty.

I am willing to pay top dollar for jeans or pants that fit me well. I will also pay lots for a beautiful winter coat. Those items will last me for years and make the rest of my wardrobe look better -- including the lower-quality items.

I also pay for Michael Stars t-shirts. http://www.michaelstars.com/

The 'shine' fabric lasts and lasts. It can look casual or quite dressy, so these are some really versatile tees! The 'shine' fabric's color never fades, so my very essential black Michael Stars turtleneck has been ink-black over 3 years of washing and drying. I have to replace black tees from Target after one season.

I say, set a reasonable budget based on your income and enjoy your clothes!

Other factors could be your choice(s) of laundry detergent, your choice(s) of (and use, or non-use of) colour brightener, and your use/non-use of a fabric softener. Each of these elements affects the fabric.

Well, then I'm not doing something right, because I use cold water, gentle cycle, and hang dry and everything still looks like crap after a couple washings.

Other factors could be your choice(s) of laundry detergent, your choice(s) of (and use, or non-use of) colour brightener, and your use/non-use of a fabric softener. Each of these elements affects the fabric.

I use Trader Joe's detergent and no other brighteners/softeners.

I sew most of our clothing now. That said, the price of cotton went sky high in the last couple years, which impacts both my sewing fabric and the off the rack clothing. Prices have and will go up on cotton items.

What I don't sew we usually buy at Costco. I find the brands there hold up pretty well, either the Kirkland or whatever other brands they have occasionally. I get most of DH's work clothing there, plus socks.

I will pay $100/pr for shoes for DH or I. We each own a couple really nice pairs that are worn pretty much daily, tennies and maryjane style leather shoes for me, and dress shoes in black and brown for him. I would rather pay $100/yr for one pair that lasts all year and usually beyond than $50 for a pair that looks crummy in a month.

Somewhere I once heard that you should think of dividing the cost of the item by the amount of wear you'll get out of it. In other words, paying a ton of money for fancy clothes you'll wear a very few times is foolish. On the other hand, paying a huge amount for those perfect quality jeans that you'll wear hundreds of times makes a lot of sense. Each time you wear them makes them quite cheap!

I find this really works for me when I'm eyeing something. If it's something I'll wear a lot, it helps me swallow a steeper price tag (I'm notoriously hesitant at buying stuff, even when I really need it). If it's something that is really cheap-o, like Target, it helps me put into perspective that I'm buying it for a short time use and think of the price in that context (so I'm not upset when, at the end of the season, it's in pieces). If I'm looking at something I like but that won't be very practical, it helps me put it back, even if I really want it. It has just been a good tool for me to think about buying clothes.

As a child, my clothes always came from thrift shops and the towns "free" clothing bin.

As an adult, I spent my adult life wearing thrift shop, walmart and hand-me-downs. Until this year. Have you ever noticed cheap t-shirts always get tiny holes in them, shrink up like a box and attract stains???

This year I gave away and threw away ALL my clothes and replaced them with Eileen Fisher clothes. Her clothes line is simple and high quality. I have never owned such comfortable clothes. I did not pay full price either, I bought much cheaper on eBay.

And I can't decide whether to feel guilty, or ecstatic that I finally have some grown up clothes that make me look cute!

You should definitely be ecstatic! Finding clothes that make you feel good is something to be celebrated.

Do you think we're seeing less good, quality clothes that last at an affordable price? Or do you think there are still some stores that produce them? And, if you've found them where are they?:bigear:

I absolutely think that almost all clothes are of lesser quality. I like to buy off the sale rack at Loft, almost all my t-shirts from there from the last couple years have holes in them.:glare:

The shoes are never quite so cheap, though, but good shoes will last just about forever.

Oooooh, oooooh, Macy's had a fabulous shoe sale in March. I bought 2 pairs of boots and a great pair of pumps (hot pink, I wear them with jeans). It was all over 75% off. I know it was all over the country because my sister in PA bought several pairs of shoes too. I wonder if they will have the equivalent for the summer shoes.

In the last two years I went from thrift store, a little Target, and a very little Kohl's, to a great dress on sale and an awesome pair of black pumps for my brother's wedding (and then, the pumps, for my mother's funeral). A year later, I stumbled upon a perfect jean skirt at half price from Dillards, and then, on a trip out of state, planned a bra fitting at Nordstrom and bought really good bras, hallelujah! I just bought a few more of these perfect bras at 40% off at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, much closer to my preferred price range (about double the Target price). The dress, pumps, skirt, and bras were totally worth it to me.

I still prefer to shop at my favorite thrift store -- great prices and I get exactly what I think I'm getting (no shrinkage...). I might also try the consignment shop across town now that I'm discovering what better quality and better fit is really like. But I'm also going to check the Dillards sales.

I also rediscovered my long-ago enjoyment of really great shoes. I'm not buying like crazy; I'm simply really, really in love with the three nice pairs I've bought in the last year. Heels that are comfortable and look great, how could it be possible?! Now I have two pairs of dressy shoes that I can wear to church, out on a date with my husband, and for dressy occasions. And a pair of Keen sandals that I've wanted forever and are very useful. I better not change sizes anytime soon, lol.

I keep a very small wardrobe and my main strategy for saving money on clothing is to not shop, so all of this is VERY interesting to absorb.

There is a difference in the kind of things I can find at different thrift shops, actually. There is one thrift shop near me where I can consistently find Land's End or LLBean things, my two favorite brands, so I do prefer to shop there. I just got an amazing cotton sweater there, actually, in my size and a great color.

We only have a Walmart and a Kmart in town, no other place to shop unless you drive 45 minutes which I won't do. So I cruise the thrift shop regularly looking for something I know someone in the family will use. I have never set foot in a Macy's, and I have been in a Kohl's only once. I have been in a Target a few times, but it doesn't appeal to me. Walmart and Kmart clothes are horrible. I wish I could sew a bit better! Worst case for me is to look for LE or LLB on Ebay. I know how those clothes fit and the quality of them, rather than to pay for something 'trendy' at Walmart that falls apart quickly.

Better to have fewer, more quality pieces that look good, feel good (so you wear them!) and will last than a larger number of cheaper pieces that do not please you or last for very long. You could end up paying more, in the long run, than if you bought quality clothes to begin with. Just make sure they all match so you can create various outfits from them.

Our local thrift stores do NOT carry quality anything - just the nature of our area, I guess. I read of some folks finds at their Goodwill, etc. and get so jealous!

Edited by JFSinIL

Someone make me feel better, or shame me into returning the clothes!:lol:

Another factor to consider when clothes shopping is your time. One quality item will save you time in the long run because you don't have to go replace it every year or even every few months. You're not running around from store to store (I hate the discount stores as they are so hit and miss.). I do buy kids jeans at sears because they will replace same size/style jeans for free after they've been destroyed. I also have a favorite child's consignment shop, but boys tend to be hard on clothes.

I'm also willing to spend more for a piece that will get lots of use vs. only a few times.

I can make you feel better though. ;) I once spent $400 dollars for ONE coat :svengo: for 1dd when she was at college. It was alot of money for us. and that was ON SALE 30% off! she attended college in upstate NY, with lots of biting wind and was freezing. I'd bought a really nice down coat on the clearance rack (cheap) before she started school, but it was so bulky she couldn't wear a backpack, and it was too short to keep her legs warm.

this was a wonderful long very-lightweight cashmere/angora blend (soft, soft, soft and super warm) coat with raglan sleeves (good for wearing bulky stuff underneath) and a hood with a fox fur ruff. (NOT for decoration, it actually helps keep your face warm.) Between that and her steger mukluk boots (currently $170, and those are a *cheapie* pair. Only brand I will buy for serious cold/snowly climes. they're warm, lightweight, and they LAST for YEARS.) and some good gloves, she was warm and the only thing cold was the tip of her nose. She's now graduated, the coat is still beautiful and warm, and she still wear's it when it's cold enough. She also still wears the boots to play in the snow. if and when we get any.

I should add, because we don't live in snow country - I wear a pair of >$30 real sheepskin boots from costco. I also replace the sole to extend their life. the thing I don't like about them is how much my foot slips around inside, so I don't do lots of walking in them.

Edited by gardenmom5

$300 is my entire wardrobe budget for at least 2 years!

Spend what you have to spend. If that kind of money is within your budget for a pair of jeans then great. If you will be cutting into your food bill next month...well....;)

If it doesn't have a clearance tag or is used, I don't buy it.

My wardrobe needs are considerably more casual than they were six or seven years ago. I shop mainly from TJ Maxx, Old Navy, Target, Kohls or Walmart.

I wash all my clothes on gentle and drip dry them. I purged a lot when we moved. I had to rebuild my winter wardrobe this year because I was freezing! I bought what we could afford in some cases, so I need to go back through and organize again.

I used to spend WAY more $$ on clothing. I was a much smaller size, SINGLE, worked full time, and had $$ to spend.

If you have it and you feel comfortable spending it, do it, esp. if you end up getting far more use out of it.

The Tightwad Gazette talks about actual cost of clothing based on # of uses. If you spend $40 on a shirt that you end up being able to wear for a lot of years and get 200 times to wear it, that is 20 cents per use. However, if you buy a shirt for $5 that you hate and only wear once....then that shirt costs FAR MORE than the $40 shirt!

Dawn

II do find that the clothes from department stores fit better than those from discount stores (JCPenney vs Target, for example). .

so true. even if the same manufacturer is making them! 2dd is tall, with very long arms. when she was in high school, I bought her a jacket from costco - "but the sleeves are too short" (only when I finally broke down and measured her arms - 6'1" from fingertip to fingertip- did I have any sympathy. for some things, she buy's tall men's - but they don't come in pretty colors.). I took it back and bought the SAME style jacket by the SAME manufacturer from a "store". the sleeves really were longer.

a very particular type of tall jean's from Penny's works for her and they can only be ordered.

When we were struggling, we wore a lot of from second hand stores. Don't get me wrong, I got some GREAT clothes there, but now that I don't have to shop there, I don't want to.

"

I remember those days. I sitll think of them and remember them, but it has become incomprehensible to me spending all that time purusing racks where I might find one item that works on a good day. It seems like another life. wierd.

I do still stop in occassionally to my favorite kids consignment for my little one. Usually find things there, but as he get's bigger it get's harder.