Menu

Compare Phonics Pathways & All About Reading

Green Vixen

Hi,

I am looking for a phonics/pre-reading curriculum for my ds 4.5 for the fall. Can someone compare the Phonics Pathways to All About Reading? Also when do you move up to the Reading Pathways and All About Spelling?

Thanks from a newbie :-)

Marisa

I can't do a comparison because I haven't used AAR or AAS, but I will tell you my experience with PP and RP.

Phonics Pathways is a no frills, extremely adaptable program. There is no schedule because you move at the pace of your student; jumping ahead if your child catches on quickly or lingering if your child needs more practice. We usually only spend about 5 minutes in the beginning and about 15 minutes later on. You can adapt the method of instruction to the learning preferences of your student. I have done lessons completely orally, had my dc use the lessons as copywork to enforce the learning, written the lesson out on a whiteboard or window, and turned the lesson into a game using various methods.

We started Reading Pathways about halfway through Phonics Pathways. It worked really well for tracking and reading fluency.

Both programs could become boring and repetitive quickly if you aren't willing to or comfortable adapting the program to keep your dc interested.

Hope that is of some help to you. If you have any specific questions let me know.

We haven't used Phonics Pathways but from what I've seen, it is largely a phonics handbook that you use to teach all of phonics to your children.

All About Reading is VERY different. It is an open-and-go, step-by-step, scripted way of teaching children to read along with readers. BUT the level out right now, AAR Pre-1 doesn't have readers, comes with a puppet, and focuses mostly on letter introduction (very gentle), has coloring pages, and really, really focuses on phonological awareness through games and activities. This is the CORE of the program (for us in any case).

The two approaches are quite different but both are based on phonics :). AAR Pre-1 would definitely be completed BEFORE AAS. If you wanted to, I *think* that future levels of AAR can be completed alongside AAS because they are compatible.

HTH!