Menu

BF - History of Science - would love BTDT feedback

GoVanGogh

I bought the Beautiful Feet History of Science guide a while back with plans on using it next school year. Now that that time is nearing, I am second guessing using it.

We love science at our house, so DS has studied quite a bit - Apologia, BFSU, Elemental Science... Compared to those, BF's guide now seems so weak. Looks great for history, just not the science study I had envisioned. :glare:

I would love some BTDT experience. Is it worth the time? Seems like a lot of lessons *just* to study the history of science.

We just finished BF's geography guide and liked it well enough, but - again - seemed to take a lot of time for what DS got out of it. Now I am hesitant to devote so much time if I'm going to want to tweak and supplement it to death.

DS will be in 5th grade.

Thanks in advance.

I'm no help with that study (which I have here but haven't used), but when dd now 11 was in K and an advanced student, we did the elementary Amer Hist study and telescoped it down to take far less than half the time. In fact, we do that with many curricula. I'd imagine you could do that with Hist of Sci too?

Just have him read the books more quickly (they are easy for a 5th grader), etc. This is how we'll do it (dd has moved past it but I'll do it with younger ds in a couple yrs).

we did the elementary Amer Hist study and telescoped it down to take far less than half the time. In fact, we do that with many curricula. I'd imagine you could do that with Hist of Sci too?
I have already read through the manual twice and 'compacted' the reading schedule quite a bit. I wrote up a new schedule, but then started wondering if it might be better to just skip it all together. I know DS will enjoy the reading so maybe I should just view it more as a history program and not as our core science for the year.

Thanks for the advice.

I looked at that, too. We went with Joy Hakim's Story of Science and the student guide. I'm adding in some biographies. This seems as though it would be a good fit for middle school, but my 9yo is also quite interested in it.

Just a thought!

Not 'been there' yet, but we are planning to use it this fall for my 3rd & 5th graders. They love experiments, so I'm hoping the ones included are enough for them. I've already drawn up a master schedule and then tweaked it (for us). I've added a book on Robert Boyle and changed up some of the written assignments (added some outlining, subtracted some writing for things I know my library has no resources on, etc.). I'm looking forward to a "different" approach to science this year and using it as a year to work on their writing-across-the-curriculum.

You could beef it up with another experiment book or two if that is what you are looking for. I know another family who is using it as their main guide for history next year & doing something different for science.

We used this a couple of years ago with a 6th and 7th grader as an extra with unit studies. I thought it was a great program, well laid out and just perfect for what we were looking for in science at the time.

They ended up with a nice notebook and still remember a lot about the inventors they read about. HTH