Menu

I'm giving a Homeschooling 101 talk tomorrow...EGADS!

I would love some suggestions.

I can handle a lot of it, but I would love to have a short resource list of websites, books and all that jazz to hand out. I have so little time to do it though.

So I am begging you, please, to contribute one (or more) HS gem that you think a new HSer or person with little kids should look into. I will love you forever. :D

It seems like eons ago that I was in that position. I have my sights set on high school, and am wondering why in the world I offered to give this talk. :001_huh:

I would prefer these to be secular or at least mostly neutral, but beggars can't be choosers, right?

THANKS!!!

xoxo

k

LOL, of course I will say TWTM and here, but this place can be a bit overwhelming if you are just starting out IMHO. ;)

This is what I am going to offer for resources:

Rebecca Rupp:Home Learning Year by Year

Lisa Rivero: The Homeschool Option/Gifted Homeschooling

TWTM

ann zeise's a-z home's cool

secular homeschooling forum, here,

ARG! My brain has stopped working! Seriously, just post a link, I will copy and paste it, and be done! :tongue_smilie:

There are so many competing history-based curricula that it is easy to get distracted as a new homeschooler. Remind them to choose language arts and math first. I'm really liking the looks of McGruffy's Dynamic Phonics Learning Book I paid $13.25 for from RR. It's a phonics program covering grades K - 2.

The Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola.

I think it would be important to present the many and varied types of homeschooling in a neutral manner, from unschooling to delight directed learning to Charlotte Mason to Classical to textbook based, etc. That's what I would have wanted to hear about in the beginning! :001_smile:

Creative Home Schooling - Lisa Rivero (a book)

Originally written for the gifted child, but it does give some good overviews of different homeschooling approaches and a list of resources. Not as overwhelming as WTM :) (This may be one of hers you have listed.)

If it's a local area, anything IN that area for support that's available - or courses....

Our state also gives free access to Discovery Streaming. If your state has that, mentioning it (if not, mentioning DS anyway may be useful).

Our zoo, art museum, and state museum do homeschool classes.

David Guterson - Family Matters - doesn't give homeschool approaches but may be of interest...

Rainbow Resource - for reviews and ideas

Great Homeschool Conventions (or any convention resources in the area)... with warning that they aren't secular but there's plenty for someone secular there.

Reminders:

• The first year is probably the toughest.
  • Take "me time" too... don't just have your identity as teacher/mother alone.
  • You can't do it all. Show grace to yourself. (Still working on that one here.)

Good luck!

If you're willing, you may include your email address for any questions.