Menu

Do they always have to ask how much?

Never fails.

Me: Dish duty! Kid: Load and unload?

Me: Correct your lessons. Kid: ALL of them?

Me: Straighten your room. Kid: How much of my room?

Me: Can you fold the laundry for me? Kid: ALL the laundry?

I mean really, did they miss my words? Did I say part of the laundry? Part of your room, only half the dishes?

Why can't they just do what I told them instead of trying to weasel out of the work and doing nothing but increasing my blood pressure!

OK, vent over. Carry on. :)

I'm not meaning to be difficult or contrary, but I've often noticed that the "number thing" is just part of being a kid.

So, my boys are totally habituated to, "empty your 12 items out of the dishwasher."

Or, "I circled your ten math problems."

I don't see the big deal of playing along with a thing like this that is clearly universal to kids.

I don't think it's a lot different than us saying to ourselves, "I'm going to walk two miles." NOT, "I'll walk until my muscles feel tired."

Or, "I'll eat a cup of spinach every day." NOT, "I'll eat enough spinach until I think I've hit the right amount."

Alley

Hehe - I love these questions!

Never fails.

Me: Dish duty! Kid: Load and unload? Mom: Yes, then wash what's left in the sink.

Me: Correct your lessons. Kid: ALL of them? Mom: Yes, then do the next page too.

Me: Straighten your room. Kid: How much of my room? Mom: Every square inch, vacuum, then start on the living room.

Me: Can you fold the laundry for me? Kid: ALL the laundry? Mom: Yes, all that's clean, then throw another load in.

Or am I the only tyrant who takes advantage like that?

Edited by K&Rs Mom
fix colors

No - it seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Fight fire with fire - and it WORKS! :tongue_smilie: They "suddenly" stop asking you to be ultra-literal if they figure out that you casually add more workload when you do.

That's my method, too. They quit asking very, very quickly.

Similarly, I had one dc who one time said, "Do I have to?" :lol: His siblings looked at him, then at the look on my face, then back to him. One laughed, "Run." and the other moaned, "I can't believe you just asked that!" He DID have to do so much the rest of that day that he never asked again. :tongue_smilie:

My dd3.5, when asked to clean up for lunch (or any other task, really), always asks, "For hours?" in a horribly dramatic voice...sometimes she'll switch days in instead. :glare:

:lol: My 6yo recently spent a million years looking for her camera. I don't think it was even a full 5 minutes according to the living room clock, but that was her response to my "I told you it was in your room."