Menu

All About Spelling

z2_mom

I tried searching the forms but could not find the answer to this one. Does AAS at some point in the program give the kids a diagnostic tests for grade level.

I know that Spelling Power has the kids take a test at the beginning of the year to determine where to start in the book but this also give you and idea of grade level placement. Each year when the child takes the test you can measure growth.

I know that Phonics road does something similar starting in level 3 I believe. I also believe that WRTR does something like this as well.

Lynda

No, it doesn't have any kind of diagnostic test. It doesn't have leveled lists like the other programs do. You start at level 1 or 2, then go from there through each level. You don't jump levels, or you'll miss phonograms/rules/strategies.

humm...I get that. We are starting level 3 right now. I just would like some sort of test. May need to combine some elements. :)

Do you know if the words get harder in the later levels. We are flying through the lists. I am not sure if my dd is getting the rules or remembering words from her reading. :)

lynda

The words get harder as you learn more phonograms. We flew through levels 1 and 2, but have slowed down in level 3.

If it's too easy, you might consider HTTS (How to Teach Spelling). It is also O-G based, but has harder words and dictation sentences. It doesn't have a grade level test either, but it has lists where you go through each year to whatever point you want to go.

For testing her knowledge of rules, give her some more complex words that follow them and see if she gets the words right. I do that with Ariel, who complains most of the words in level 1 are too easy. For example, she thought "fish" was too simple, so I had her spell "establish."

For us what I use as the test is the practice portions where you dictate words and the child writes them down (not that we track grades). BUT, that shows you that the child is applying the rules to new words as you are saying them. Better than a memorized test in my opinion :).

I am fine without the tests. I was more asking because the words are so easy for my dd. I was thinking a test would maybe place her higher. I know that she is learning. We are going through a step in a day or two. We are in level 3 at the moment. Just thinking of ways to make it harder or more challenging for her. :glare::glare:

Lynda

• 4 weeks later...

Spelling Power is more about memorizing words through different games. It does have lists taken from the Adams-Gordon spelling scales (so says the book). We started using that during first grade but it was all about lists of words. We just started AAS this summer :001_smile: and I love that it's about the rules not the words. I've started my soon to be second grader with level 1 only so we can get the full benefit of the program. She's on grade for spelling but she's told me that her teacher didn't "teach" rules. I guess most schools just give out lists. Her teacher this year will be using "Words their Way" which seems like a "memorize lists program" according to the Internet.

I plan to use AAS so my kids learn the rules and not a bunch of lists. The lists are nice though for seeing where your kids falls, but I think rules are the way to go. We'll probably go back to Spelling Power when my kids are in high school and have learned the rules...or maybe not if AAS comes out with a program past 6 or 7.

I use the TM for How to Teach Spelling and add harder words along w/ the AAS lists. My 4th grader is halfway through book 4 and I think it is too simple for 4th...but since the list only has 10 words (unless there are more under the 'more words' section) you can easily add more words. I do think for the price of this program we shouldn't 'need' to add more...they should be included in the TM as extra words or something. Most 4th graders have more than 10 words per week (at least out of the kids I know)

One way to work on more words is through your child's writing. Then you are helping them apply what they know to words they want to use. The Writing Station exercises provide a great place to see how your child is applying what they know, and to add in words they struggle with (or to see how they are applying what they've learned even to words that haven't been on previous lists--I always make sure to praise when I see that happen!) You can pull words from other writing assignments as well, just try not to pull too many that don't follow things they have already learned (a few "memory" words are ok). Walk them through the word analyzation of the word they misspelled--help them see how to use the syllables, rules, prounouncing for spelling etc... to spell the word, or help them note what letters stand for what sounds and practice it visually if the pattern has to be learned visually, and so on. Here's a form for blank word cards--you can print it on cardstock and add words to the daily review for ones that are sticklers.