Menu

Math Mammoth is on sale at HBC till 8/22

Angie in VA

I was thinking about doing Singapore for 1-6. But this is a good deal. Is Mammoth Math as good, or better? Do I really need to buy math before my kid starts K?

I think you'll find widely different opinions on Singapore versus MM. Maybe you can search and see if there are some good discussions. One of the main things I have observed is that MM has more review built in. We are even making it more spiral by rearranging the PDFs and the way we are doing them.

I'm not sure if I would buy it before 1st grade. It's so hard to know what to pick in the beginning. We went from Horizons K to Abeka K through 2. I couldn't stand Abeka, so now we are with MM, and I hope to not change anymore. I'm just sick of changing. :glare: That being said, I am wanting to buy the package through 6th grade for all DDs, PK, 2nd, and 3rd, so I am planning in the future extensively. :001_huh:

I'm not sure if that helps. :bigear:

You'll want to note that it's also full packages, not individual grade levels.

Like the one I committed to, is Light Blue grades 1-6. I committed to it once it hits 30% discount.

Now, I had already bought grade 1A & 1B ($32), but even with that as a loss, it's still cheaper this way.

I think I'm more confused now than before! I spent [more time than I care to admit to] last night looking up comparison threads. The basic gist is that SM and MM over the the entire scope and sequence are equivalent, but at any given level one might be ahead of the other. MM has fewer books, but some people still use the CWP and IP. Which means MM is easier to accelerate because SM has problems in both the text and the workbook. MM is cheaper (a lot when it's on sale) but SM is prettier.

MM sounds pretty awesome, but then so does SM... and my oldest is just starting K. LOL. Does it go on sale often or is this a one time kind of deal?

This is at least the 3rd time I know of it going on sale at HSBC, so I think it happens fairly regularly. If your kid is just starting K, I wouldn't jump into buying 6 grades worth of math. I'd just buy the 1A/B book and start there. We switched to MM from Singapore for my Kindergartener last year and it was a much better fit for us. I find MM much easier to teach.

I think I'm more confused now than before! I spent [more time than I care to admit to] last night looking up comparison threads. The basic gist is that SM and MM over the the entire scope and sequence are equivalent, but at any given level one might be ahead of the other. MM has fewer books, but some people still use the CWP and IP. Which means MM is easier to accelerate because SM has problems in both the text and the workbook. MM is cheaper (a lot when it's on sale) but SM is prettier.

MM sounds pretty awesome, but then so does SM... and my oldest is just starting K. LOL. Does it go on sale often or is this a one time kind of deal?

I have the full lot of MM, including MIRL. I have not seen SM. I am a Saxon user. I think that I am still considered a Saxon user. Saxon tends to be more filler now.

We print the chapters into booklets. She can go through the entire MM book in a few months if we are not careful. This is why I switched to primarily use MM. Oh my goodness, does she need to do things on the fly. Sometimes, she just does the math.

I like the approach. I think this is something that appeals with SM too.

I babble. My point: Perhaps you need to look at the methods of teaching and presentation of materials to decide?

• 2 weeks later...

I keep watching to see if it will have a deeper discount. We use Rightstart and love it... I may use MM as a supplement. FYI currclick has this on their site too and they have a good discount. For example a bundle of the blue books for grade 1-3 sells for $75 is selling for $38; a 46% discount.