Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it Kindergarteners or Kindergartners?

Crud. I'm trying to type something up and when I google both I'm not seeing which one's wrong! Help! (Anyone else awake, cuz I'm sure not, but I have to get this done!)

I would change the wording. Something like Kindergarten children, or children in Kindergarten, or Kindergarten classes. :)

I would go with Kindergarteners. The word is German and it's Kindergarten (Kinder meaning children and Garten meaning garden). Leaving the E out in Garten is misspelling the word.

I would go with Kindergarteners. The word is German and it's Kindergarten (Kinder meaning children and Garten meaning garden). Leaving the E out in Garten is misspelling the word.

That's the way I naturally did it and that's the way it went to press. Thank you!

:iagree:

The other spelling is wrong.

Bill

But the German for "gardener" is "Gärtner." :D

So one spelling means the kids and the other means the teacher?

Now I know what to put when I fill out a form that asks about my job: "gardener of the children." :lol:

No, the word just has two meanings, and two correct spellings. Merriam-Webster's Collegiate lists Kindergartner, with Kindergartener as an alternative.

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE A COUPON FOR
10% OFF
We respect your privacy.You’ll hear about new products, special discounts & sales, and homeschooling tips. *Coupon only valid for first-time registrants. Coupon cannot be combined with any other offer. Entering your email address makes you eligible to receive future promotional emails.
0 Shares
Tweet
Pin