Menu

Would you use a public park if the PS was using it

Would you use a public park used for recess during the school day?  

1. 1. Would you use a public park used for recess during the school day?

• Yes
    • No
    • Obligatory other

Most of the elementary schools in our district were built without playgrounds, but adjoin parks. I've always kept my DD out of them when the schools are using them for recess/PE, which is basically all day weather permitting (not that the kids get a lot of outside time, but because they're big schools) both because I don't want DD trampled in a mob (and a class or two of kids makes a playground a mob scene quickly) and because, having been a teacher, I know that they try to keep unscreened people from around their kids-and if DD's on the playground, I am, too-and while I've had repeated criminal records checks and been fingerprinted multiple times since I was a public school teacher and volunteer with multiple kid-oriented agencies, that doesn't mean my neighborhood school knows that I'm safe. And there are other parks and playgrounds that don't have schools next to them, although they're a little farther away.

I kind of assumed everyone would have that same reaction, so I was surprised when a HS mom I know mentioned that she took her kids out to play with the PS kids at recess regularly at the park near their house. She seemed surprised that I avoided doing so, since, "It's a public park. They CAN'T say no!".

Just wondering what other people thought on this.

We avoid crowded parks for the most part, unless it is crowded because all of our friends are there.

ETA- we also don't mind driving further to go to a more desirable location, such as a park with more shade, more homeschool friends, or nicer facilities.

Edited by springmama

In that case, I think I would use them too. Ours have their own playgrounds that we use on weekends, but not when school is in session. I am sure we would be asked to leave during school, but hey I pay taxes too :) So we use them occasionally.

But we have a separate playground in walking distance that we use. In your case, where they are using the public park, I would too, unless you found that it was becoming dangerous or unfun for you kid for any reason. I would at least try it once or twice I think.

Wow, I'm really surprised your schools do this. The school my husband taught summer school is right next to a park and the kids need signed permission slips in order to go over there. All of our schools are fenced and locked during school hours.

It isn't an issue here but I do try to avoid the parks that are right next to schools during school hours because it means the ps kids press their noses up to the fence and start calling over and asking why we are not in school. It causes a disturbance for the teachers to have to deal with.

I guess it would depend on what time of day and what age groups are out playing. If I had 7-11yr olds and there was a time when k5-1 graders were on recess....fine. If there were older kids that might be bullying, bad language, etc...probably not the best time to go to the park. :)

I kind of assumed everyone would have that same reaction, so I was surprised when a HS mom I know mentioned that she took her kids out to play with the PS kids at recess regularly at the park near their house. She seemed surprised that I avoided doing so, since, "It's a public park. They CAN'T say no!".

I'm with your friend. You shouldn't need a background check to play in a public park. It is NOT school property even if they are trying to use it that way. Has anyone from the school actually said anything to you? If so, I would send a letter to the principal, BOE, and the parks and receation department asking for clarification.

I'm with your friend- it's a public park! That being said, I might avoid it simply because of crowding issues but if you wanted to use it during the day I'd say you're well within your rights.

:iagree: A lot of times the ps kids aren't well-supervised or well-behaved, but otherwise, it's a public park. If I were a *parent* of the ps kids, I might say something about the situation to the ps, i.e., WHAT WERE YOU THINKING TO PLAN IT THIS WAY???? But as a hser? *shrug*

Your friend is right. If the school wants to restrict acess, they should build their own playground; otherwise, the park is fair game for *anyone* who wishes to be there.

It does make me wonder, though, why they've chosen to use a public park. There's got to be some kind of trade-off for them to give up the ability to restrict who can play. Maybe it cuts costs so they don't have to maintain playground equipment? I wonder who is liable if a school child falls off the equipment and gets hurt, the school or the city?

Cat

"It's a public park. They CAN'T say no!".

I agree with the lady you quoted - and we do regularly use one that is both a public park AND a school park….it's built right on the school grounds, but the community funded it and it's signed "____ community playground". My kids got growled at once when they were there without me - my daughter stood right up to the teacher and told her that we were very well aware that the playground was for community use and that if THEY (dd and ds) were being asked to leave, then were the three moms with toddlers over there on the swings also being asked to leave? They weren't….and she quit hassling our kids. ;)

I voted no, mainly because I have young kids that I don't want to have to worry about getting accidentally hurt by elementary aged kids. We tend to go to less busy parks or to parks with separate areas for young kids.

When I was a kid, we could go up to the school during non-school hours and play on the playgrounds there. They weren't fenced in. Where we live now, all of the schools' playgrounds are fenced in and can't be used by the public. We do have access to a lot more parks than there was where I grew up so it's not a big deal. Plus, I'm sure they don't want to deal with graffiti and other vandalism like I see at some parks. :mad:

We have a public park across the street that turns into a mob scene during the day from school field trips. We avoid it like the plague during those times-- it's not just crowded, it's truly mobbed and unbearably noisy/ unpleasant. Not even my kids can stand it! But after 1-2pm the place clears out and it's lovely.

and because, having been a teacher, I know that they try to keep unscreened people from around their kids-and if DD's on the playground, I am, too-and while I've had repeated criminal records checks and been fingerprinted multiple times since I was a public school teacher and volunteer with multiple kid-oriented agencies, that doesn't mean my neighborhood school knows that I'm safe. And there are other parks and playgrounds that don't have schools next to them, although they're a little farther away.

I would absolutely not avoid it for this reason, but because of the "mob" reason (I voted "yes, I would avoid it"). Since they choose to use a public park, they are aware that anyone can be there. If they have a problem with unscreened people, then they need to find their own way to deal with that.

If it is a public park, then I would feel comfortable going anytime I want. That's what it is there for. There is no need to worry that the school doesn't know if you are a 'safe' person or not. If the school was worried about that, it wouldn't be using a public park for recess. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you going to the park, even if the school uses it. It's your right and choice, and your dc can use the park as much as the ps students do.

That said, I would avoid it at times the school is using it. There is not enough supervision of the ps students and they tend to mob, and honestly, many students are pretty mean to children they don't know. I have had plenty of experiences with ps students pushing other children aside, assuming they have the right of way on everything, get to do what they want first, etc. just because they are there as a school or classroom. No way do I want to be in the middle of that mob of unsupervised students. (OK, I know there is some supervision, but there is not enough supervision to make the ps students behave.) So I would avoid that park on school days because it would make our fun time at the park a very unpleasant experience.

Now, if my dc knew the kids in the ps classes and wanted to play with their friends during recess, that could make a difference. Again, unless the city has posted signs that no one except the ps is allowed at the park on school days, I would be find with going and letting my dc play with their friends during the ps students' recess. There is nothing wrong with that, as long as my dc are being treated appropriately.

No only because I don't like large crowds of kids. We once went to our park up the street during the school year and several classes were there on a field trip of some sort. The kids acted like animals being set free from a cage that was too small. And there was almost no supervision. I had to leave. I couldn't take it.

:iagree:

I love living crowd- and line-free as a homeschooler. :) I'd avoid the crowds and noise and go elsewhere.

Thanks for the responses. Since I've never tried going during the day (mentally, I was placing it in the same category as walking my child in and sitting down at the back of a classroom, figuring that since it was a public school, it would be FINE for her to come join the kids!) I don't know that they'd turn me away. And realistically, I can't see my DD being willing to wait in line for the swings when we can go a little farther away and have the playground to ourselves.

I hate going to the park when it's crowded, so I wouldn't be interested in that kind of setup. Here, our regular park is overrun with day camps (that's what they call them, but it looks just like daycare) all summer long, so we avoid it. We have a ton of parks within a short driving distance, so it's not a big deal to find a quieter one.

I don't in theory have a problem using it at the same time. In practical terms, if another park was a reasonable distance, I would go to the less crowded one because it would be more fun for the kids likely. Long lines at the slides and swings are not all that fun for them.

When a public school uses a park as its playground, non-students are not allowed to use it during school hours. We used to live in a neighborhood where the school used the park. I hated it because it meant I couldn't take my dd to the park until 4pm.

That's not the law where I live.

We also have libraries near schools, but they're big enough to absorb a class using them without turning away the general public. This town is SERIOUS about it's library use. They wouldn't stand for such restrictions.

I voted Yes above. If my kids WANTED to play with a larger group we certainly wouldn't leave the playground.

KFP

Edited by KungFuPanda

I'm with your friend- it's a public park! That being said, I might avoid it simply because of crowding issues but if you wanted to use it during the day I'd say you're well within your rights.

:iagree:

I would not have problem with the idea of using it, but I'm not sure I'd want to because of all the kids.

Although I've found that summer time with kids camps at a park can be worse than the public school kids! Ugh. I hate it when I see those camp buses roll up!

Bwah hahahaha!

If I'm cranky, I might go on the off chance that someone would dare to tell me we couldn't be there. Every now and then, a battle of wits against the unarmed is soothing.

If the kids want to go, I would. I dislike crowds, generally, but I'd let them play.