What do you use to correct schoolwork  

1. 1. What do you use to correct schoolwork

• I love red ink, and it builds character
    • I intentionally avoid red ink, I'll use anything else
    • I don't care, whatever is close, give me a crayon
    • The children check their own
    • No die hard rules here, don't give it much thought
    • Other

The other day dh and I were picking up supplies. I told him to grab me a box of red pens. He laughed at me, and said that I was going to traumatize the children with my red pens! He knows I love the red ink for correcting school work, but this was a good size box of pens (couldn't pass up the price, plus I had a coupon :D). He was pretty much joking, but it struck me curious because this was my second run in with this sort of thought/comment.

So, my question (poll to follow) is how do you correct your dc's schoolwork? What is your philosophy?

Here is mine: I mark the correct items with a check. If something is done incorrectly I circle the problem # or the word etc. I check papers almost immediately and then I expect them to correct the problem. I use red ink mostly; purple ink in a pinch. I like the way it stands out. If the child continues to struggle, I walk them through the problem. The red ink just seems to stand out so much better and lets them see what needs to be fixed. I am not 'shy' about correcting their mistakes. I always find something to praise, but I just believe in quickly and thoroughly identifying our mistakes and taking the opportunity to learn from them.

ETA: As far as the first option, "...and it builds character." That is a joke. We joke a lot. When we don't have a particular reason for something, we will say something like "because it will put hair on your chest" or "because it builds character." I didn't think anyone would seriously list their ink color as a character building exercise, but boy that would be awesome, huh? :)

Edited by jewellsmommy

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I use a pencil right along with them. We correct together.

If I use a red or other bright colored pen my children tend to fall apart and feel really discouraged. I prefer to HELP them correct the problem instead of marking up the page with check marks or circles.

I do on occasion use a marker or colored pencil and this is only to place a HUGE smiley face at the top of their page and they love this.

I never did like the red ink on my papers but I never thought of it as a terrible thing. I never put much thought into the idea of red pens. I just figured if I'm homeschooling my children and I'm sitting there with them anyway..I would catch them before the mistake was completely finished. OR if I don't catch it right away I will circle the problem with my pencil and we'll correct together. Then we can erase the lightly drawn circle I made around the number of the problem.

I however will say that the first time I used a red pen to mark the kids pages they expressed more tears than I would've liked and it's just ONE or TWO marks that I made. To me I'd rather just use the same tool they are. :) Just me though.

I too have a coupon that would give me red pens for pennies from Bic. Still I didn't purchase them, instead I used the coupon at another store that was B1G1 Free on Bic black and blue pens and paid just tax!

Edited by mamaofblessings

I usually use red, but it's mostly so I can see what I've marked. I also use green, purple, whatever is close...but red stands out the most and is the easiest to see. I do make a point to write some positive stuff in red as well, so it isn't ALL bad. I also put a red(green/purple/whatever) check next to correct work.

I have a different experience -of course I am newbie, but ok, here it goes. My ds is a perfectionist and insists on having a big red X to indicate a mistake. He wants to do the X himself! I think somehow he feels he is correcting himself, it is not something done to him. Am I making sense here? At the same time I do check marks (meaning something done correctly) and I applied the 1 star/2 star/3 star rating. This makes ds immensely happy.

I forgot to say I voted "other" because sometimes ds grades his own work, sometimes is mummy's job. However it is red ink. Easy to find at the local shop.

Edited by desertmum

I usually use red, though sometimes I'll use whatever color is close (but not dark blue or black).

My older 2 boys check their Saxon, and they each have an ink pen in their assigned color (my kids are color coded)--my ds12 has bright blue and my ds10 has green.

I find this very interesting. I always avoided X's, thinking them the more "vicious" of the marks :lol:. I like the circles because I can put the check mark inside the circle after the correction. Dd is very sensitive, in general, but does not seem to care about the color. She loves BIG checks. Ds does not seem to care ether way. As long as a sticker ends up on the paper at the very end, they are fine. They get to pick the sticker, of course.

The one thing I feel strongly about, is that I immediately check over the work, while it is still fresh in their mind. I don't like the wrong answers or info. marinating in their heads.

Edited by jewellsmommy

I usually use red, but it's mostly so I can see what I've marked. I also use green, purple, whatever is close...but red stands out the most and is the easiest to see. I do make a point to write some positive stuff in red as well, so it isn't ALL bad. I also put a red(green/purple/whatever) check next to correct work.

Yes, there is something about that red; it shows so well. I agree about the praise too.

I use red for correcting and never thought twice about it. Didn't realize it was controversial!

That is what I thought too :D. But my dh actually used the term 'traumatizing' :001_huh: (mostly jokingly). That really made me wonder. I just wasn't sure how pervasive that opinion would be.

I mostly correct with an eraser - I erase anything wrong and hand it back, they see what's now blank and redo those, asking for help if they need it. If they worked in pen, though, I'll use red so mine is easy to spot; I've also used red to make notes on 8yo's reports, but that's pretty new so we haven't really settled into a system yet.

Between homeschool "school" rooms that look like mini classrooms and red ink-you might as well send your kids to school.

I mark up their papers with whatever is close at hand. Unfortunately that meant the early demise of several expo dry erase markers. :glare:

I mostly correct with an eraser - I erase anything wrong and hand it back, they see what's now blank and redo those, asking for help if they need it. If they worked in pen, though, I'll use red so mine is easy to spot; I've also used red to make notes on 8yo's reports, but that's pretty new so we haven't really settled into a system yet.

I did this once when ds had a lot of wrong answers on his math page. He had tried to answer according to a pattern he though would hold through the rest of the problems. I erased the whole row and gave it back. He filled in with the exact same answers! :lol: He just couldn't seem to help himself. It's like he couldn't get past the number that had been written there, that he could still barely see :001_huh:. I told if it was wrong the first time, that it would still be wrong 5 minutes later :lol:.

I tried helping him through it, but he was quite insistant that the previous answers were right.

I don't think there's anything inherently traumatic about red ink. I do think a lot of adults might think it's traumatic because teachers would correct their work with red ink in a way that was entirely negative.

But I don't think a kid would automatically have any reaction to the ink color, personally.

That said, I just use whatever's close at hand. I don't think it's ever been a red pen.

Between homeschool "school" rooms that look like mini classrooms and red ink-you might as well send your kids to school.

I mark up their papers with whatever is close at hand. Unfortunately that meant the early demise of several expo dry erase markers. :glare:

I assure you, despite my red pen, there is a HUGE difference between what we do and a brick and mortar school. Ds used to be in a public school, before coming to me, and he much, much prefers homeschool.

I use red pencil. It stands out, so that my dc can quickly see what they need to correct. I suppose any other bright color would work, but red grading pencils (or pens) are readily available.

Many of the schools around here have gone to purple, or they use pencil, but I've never been much for following what the public schools do. :D

Guest Dulcimeramy

:confused:

I assure you, despite my red pen, there is a HUGE difference between what we do and a brick and mortar school. Ds used to be in a public school, before coming to me, and he much, much prefers homeschool.

:iagree:

I use a red pen and have a schoolroom, but I can assure that our homeschool is nothing like public school! That is a funny thought, though.

Wow, I didn't realize I was so different. I use a lime green highlighter. I just put a dot by the part that needs to be gone over, or a star, or a line down the side of the page if it is a written thing. We don't use paper much anymore or try not to, so I write corrections in a lime green color on the open document in ms word too so it is normal to use a lime green highlighter on actual paper.

Hmm......no schoolroom here either! We're weird even in homeschool circles!

:confused:

:iagree:

I use a red pen and have a schoolroom, but I can assure that our homeschool is nothing like public school! That is a funny thought, though.

I think it's easy for people to confuse externals with actual substance. The color of pen, the type of surrounding... these don't tell us much about the actual type of education going on. Public schools around here use purple pen and have class sitting under the tree out front sometimes - does that make them homeschoolers? :D

Red ink. If he doesn't like the red ink, then he can do his work properly the first time. :001_smile:

p.s. - He doesn't get much red ink. I've properly convinced him that it wastes a ton of his time to do it wrong to have to go back a second time and to correct everything. Doing it right the first time is very important lesson!

Edited by Sputterduck

I circle things that need to be looked at/changed, in a bright color that contrasts. I let DD pick the color-usually it's hot pink or purple.

Since DD likes stickers, I put a sticker on a page when it's finished and doesn't need any more changes.

I used red ink; however, colour has nothing to do with building character ! :confused: That is why I had to vote "other" on the poll.

Maybe none of us has a hangup about red ink because (other than I) nobody has gone to an outside school to learn that red ink is demeaning. :tongue_smilie:

We use red erasable pencils. I don't like having papers all marked up and neither do my children. Once corrected they get to erase the mark. I like how the red stands out, but I don't want it forever glaring at me :tongue_smilie:

I used red ink; however, colour has nothing to do with building character ! :confused: That is why I had to vote "other" on the poll.

Maybe none of us has a hangup about red ink because (other than I) nobody has gone to an outside school to learn that red ink is demeaning. :tongue_smilie:

I was joking. ;) Just like I don't think one can actually be traumatized by an ink color :tongue_smilie:. I hope nobody has taken that part serious.

I use those 4-color pens. Red to indicate mistakes (a small x will do, or circling the wrong answer, whichever is appropriate); green for check-marks, comments, and writing in "you're not wrong, but here's a better way" (more efficient, more idiomatic, whatever) improvements. They seem fine with it. Dd15 was born traumatized, I think, so red ink couldn't possibly make it worse.

I get out the red and green markers. Since green means "go" and red means "stop," it seemed logical. So anytime there's a red mark, we stop and do the problem again. :) One day my dd said, "I hope I don't get too many red marks." I said, "Me either, because then it means I'm a lousy teacher!" I remember the look on her face as the concept sunk in... Hey baby, we're in this together!!!

I get out the red and green markers. Since green means "go" and red means "stop," it seemed logical. So anytime there's a red mark, we stop and do the problem again. :) One day my dd said, "I hope I don't get too many red marks." I said, "Me either, because then it means I'm a lousy teacher!" I remember the look on her face as the concept sunk in... Hey baby, we're in this together!!!

:iagree: If I realize that an assignment is going to be a sea of red, I discreetly put it aside and re-teach the lesson, on the assumption that I taught it badly (or too late in the day, or something).

Huh? :confused::confused::confused:

I still don't get what the fuss is about corrections in red ink. Are there really that many folks out there so thin-skinned that the occasional red mark on their page upsets them?

What I remember being traumatized about in school growing up was all the nasty social stuff- bullying, cliquishness, gossip, etc.

Huh? :confused::confused::confused:

I still don't get what the fuss is about corrections in red ink. Are there really that many folks out there so thin-skinned that the occasional red mark on their page upsets them?

What I remember being traumatized about in school growing up was all the nasty social stuff- bullying, cliquishness, gossip, etc.

Dd9 was looking over my shoulder and saw the subject line. She said "Huh? :confused: What's the problem with red ink? It's just a color!"

I use red ink mostly because then everyone can clearly see what needs fixing and find the marking scheme. I tried orange highlighter, but I couldn't write notes with it. Pencil or blue pen just got lost in the work. I don't like the bleeding idea a whole lot, but it works.

I like the idea of using purple though. Now, where to find a few purple pens.:glare:

Note to self: Hide schoolroom and red pens if gingersmom ever drops by.... ;)

Seriously, gingersmom, our classroom is right inside the front door, and the whole world walking by can see it. The delivery folks know we homeschool. The neighbors know we homeschool. I don't mean they know we say we homeschool, I mean they know it. In a non-reporting state where a zealous school official could make my life difficult, I have a couple handfuls of "average Joes" who can attest to our schooling. Since I'm a definite "good defense is a good offense" style person, it's comfortable for me. I don't mind that this style isn't for you. Just giving you an answer as to why for me at least, it works.

Sorry for the hijack.

I use red ink mostly because then everyone can clearly see what needs fixing and find the marking scheme. I tried orange highlighter, but I couldn't write notes with it. Pencil or blue pen just got lost in the work. I don't like the bleeding idea a whole lot, but it works.

I like the idea of using purple though. Now, where to find a few purple pens.:glare:

That is why I gravitate to red. Red and purple both show up well (red a little better), but the packages of red pens are what go on sale for school time and I am cheap :D.

I think that's the original intent as well.

I don't get what's wrong with a child seeing the truth about what they got right and wrong? :001_unsure:

I've taught my dc that mistakes are the key to growing, learning, and understanding (which isn't easy to do with one dd who was a diagnosable perfectionist.) We aim to work at a level where they won't get everything right, and they expect to learn from their mistakes.

I see it in my college classes. When I get back a paper with something marked wrong, I ask the professor to explain it to me. Many (most, even) students start arguing about why they were actually right, how the assignment was stupid, why they didn't care, etc. :001_huh: And then they wonder why I ruin th curve. :D

Some people take mistakes very badly. I'm carefully, painfully, diligently teaching my dc not to be one of those people.

I use a red pen because it's easy to spot when they go back to correct. I only mark what's wrong though. I've always gotten confused by marks for correct and incorrect answers.

I just asked my eldest if the red pen bothers her and she said no. I think they don't take it personal because they know I'm on their team. I on the other hand, remember that sinking feeling of getting a paper back all marked up.

I remember sometimes feeling low and embarrassed about it. Looking back at my schooling, it was a total joke. I was one of those kids that fell between the cracks and stayed there.

I'm so glad my kids don't have those hang-ups. And as others have said, my kids thrive on understanding where they made a mistake and fixing it.

I use Foray pens from Office Depot. They're smoooooooth. :)

Edited by helena

I have a pack of brightly colored pens for correcting, but I'll use anything in a pinch. My only criteria are that it has to write, and it can't be the same color the student used to do the work.

I only mark incorrect answers. For writing assignments, I make notes in the margin, both compliments and suggestions for improvements.

I don't see anything wrong or "schoolish" with red ink. :) My children are educated in a different environment. They don't see the red pen and cringe. They see the red pen and think, "Mom used red this time instead of green," because it doesn't have the same associations for them that it had for me.

Cat

So... we have to do it your way or it's a joke?? Yikes

hmmm

maybe your just messing around?

Between homeschool "school" rooms that look like mini classrooms and red ink-you might as well send your kids to school...

I could write in red ink all day long, and post alphabet strips all around the walls of my rooms, install blackboard and park my patootie behind a big metal desk.

The reason my son isn't going to be in "school" has nothing to do with the pens we write with or the decorations in the room. Are you serious?

My son is leaving public school (probably mid-year this year) because of the inept teachers, the love of mediocrity, the obnoxious, sissified brats, and the liberal indoctrination that goes on there.

I voted other. I use red ink (actually I use red grading pencil...not to get too technical...lol!) simply because it stands out from the pen or pencil marks and is easy to see. I would hope my children aren't so fragile that they can't cope with red correction marks on their work. Good grief.

I use black pen (because I only use black pen, ever; I am really picky about what pens I like), and I just circle whatever needs more attention, whether it's an incorrect math problem, or copywork that needs to be redone. I don't mark correct stuff at all; the assumption is that it's correct unless it's marked otherwise.

Maybe when they're older and writing essays, I'll use red pen to stand out. Side note: my favorite history teacher in high school used to use red pen, but he'd only write a number next to the item. We all had to bring in a tape so that he could record his comments on it. Each number corresponded to a comment on the tape. Obviously this took longer (and we couldn't listen to the comments until we got home from school), but maybe it was faster for him than writing lengthy comments. Also, it neutralized the red pen a bit -- you might have several numbers and comments, but they might be positive just as easily as negative. (He might have corrected small spelling errors right on the paper; I don't remember.)