Menu

Could Megawords be done independently?

It isn't teacher intensive imo; maybe 5 minutes a day plus checking completed work. It could be done independently but I don't think it would be as effective without the tm. I'm coming from the standpoint of having a struggling speller though so take that into account.

It isn't teacher intensive imo; maybe 5 minutes a day plus checking completed work. It could be done independently but I don't think it would be as effective without the tm. I'm coming from the standpoint of having a struggling speller though so take that into account.

Thanks!

• 3 years later...

Megawords has worked wonderfully with my 7th grader.  I give a pretest for each unit.  Then use the missed words from the pretest to do a quick daily check on the white board.  She has to spell the words correctly 5 times (5 days - I just use tally marks by the word) for the word to come off the list (one line drawn through the word). This check only takes a couple of minutes a day.  If she is really having trouble with a word, I just have her write it 5,10 or 15 times (depending on how long this word has been hanging out on my list!) Then during the week there are a few directed quick checks and dictating (all in the TM) that only take a few minutes each.  During these quick checks and dictations, more missed words are added to my master list.  At the end of the unit I give a post test. Rinse repeat. At the end of the book, I use my list of missed words as the final test.  We skip the writing exercises and some of the reading exercises (all though she usually does them anyway.) She does all of the workbook pages independently.

hope that helps

Angela