Menu

What time does your school day start?

mine is later than most but works well for us. we school from 10-2ish. we are off for the summer currently, but plan to start back in mid august. starting later gives us time to do our chores, eat breakfast, get dressed, and i let the kids watch a little TV. we like to move slower in the morning - so it works well for us. we wake up about 7:30 here.

We start at 10am.

I really want to change that to 9am but I fear I am fighting a losing battle.

My middle son is a sleeper and gets VERY cranky if woken up, although generally he is a happy go lucky kid and we prefer to keep him that way.

Dawn

I am going to be starting at 8 in Sept when we start back with a Bible & Breakfast time and then we will get into work and work until about 11:20 or so, then break for lunch. I will only have mornings to work with them and then in the afternoon from 12-3 they will have some independent work to complete while I work an afternoon shift. I am sure they will be done by 2pm or so and then the rest of the day would be free choice until I get home and we head out to soccer practice.

We're going to try to start at 8:00, when the school bell across the street rings. In practice, though, we start whenever DD is up, dressed, and has eaten breakfast. I'd rather let her sleep a little later if she's tired that morning than force the issue, and if she's up early, I have no problem with starting early.

We usually start around 9:30 AM....do an hour or so, break until afternoon, so another hour, sometimes two....then in the evening do some more after dinner if DS is up for it. We don't do everything in one long stretch, but break it up throughout the day, usually into two shorter stretches, sometimes three.

We're off to a great start this year! We've started our school days so far all at 7am! This works out the best for all of us. We get to visit with daddy before he leaves for work, we all get breakfast and are done with school by lunch time most days! if not within an hour after lunch! :) This year we're setting the timer per subject or doing 1 lesson and stopping...AND we're not breaking after every lesson either. We break TWICE through-out the morning during our school and that's it. I explain to the kids if we break more often we won't be done by lunch and they groan at the thought of doing school after lunch..so we all like to be done by lunch!

Last year I let my kids sleep til they were ready to get up on their own. We'd start school usually around 9am or 10am most days last year and be done with school around 4pm!! I was so TIRED of doing this. The kids didn't like getting so little afternoon time and I didn't like it either. We would take ALOT of breaks...one after each lesson almost.

I like that we're up as a family at 6:30am every morning! The totboy is the only one allowed to sleep in each day and most of the time he wakes up by 8am anyhow. This gives the girls and I an hour to do a lesson or two before he wakes up.

Edited by mamaofblessings

My oldest gets up around 7:30, I get up about 8. The younger three then wake up between 8-8:30. Sometimes i have to wake them up. We start with Speekee during breakfast, and then the kids do GoTrybe Exercise while I either shower or go online for a bit. I try to start seat work by 9-9:30.

I had imagined starting by 8:30 most days when we began, and often I did. But it got later as this got harder to do-oldest sleeps in and younger two are so hard to keep on track. In reality, it has evened out to about 9:30 or 10 with the oldest being mostly on her own to start when she is not comatose-around 11. She must have her cup of tea, you know.

We keep getting more livestock around here which keeps slowing me down, as I seem to be in charge of their feeding and care by default (though I do delegate regularly). It takes me dang near an hour to feed myself, husband, two youngest kids, 4 cats, 2 dogs, one lamb, several chickens. Sheesh! Then I groan to think of all the other work ahead, I hate to admit.

Usually a load of laundry goes in before school, as well as a drainer full of dishes while making breakfast. No wonder I am exhausted by the time we start school.Hmmm...there must be a better way.:glare:

For years I have dreamed of doing Latin lesson with dd14 at 7:30 every morning before the others get up. She is not enthusiastic, to put it mildly.

How do you get late risers to convert? Anyone try it successfully?

Lakota

I get up around 6ish, they are up around 7ish and at the table by 8ish :tongue_smilie:. They have alarm clocks, which one uses well...the other is not a morning person so it takes her longer to get going. And heaven forbid if you turn on her bedroom light before she's out of the bed-the grouch comes out, lol. They school until their work is done for the day. My main requirement is that Math and music practice must be done each day. The rest of the schedule they have just needs to be finished by the end of the week. Our DS likes to do all his weekly reading at once, or gets so caught up in science that he'll finish a whole weeks worth in one day...then he just has to finish up the other stuff through the rest of the week. :D