Menu

Daughter with Eye Problem

Hi everyone.

I have been trying to google some information on my dd's eye, but I have no idea what the problem is called and I hoped you might be able to help.

DD8 can be looking straight at me, but her right eye is not focusing on me the way her left eye is. Her right eye is "looking" farther to the right. Rather than her eye crossing inward, it is crossing outward. Does that make any sense? I have no idea what this problem is called. It appeared very suddenly and I thought I was imagining it until my husband mentioned it last night.

I want to have the right terminology so I can call the dr. and let her know what is going on.

Thank you for your help.

My younger dd has Duane's Syndrome. She cannot move her left eye much past mid-point. It is different from a lazy eye. The nerves leading to the muscle that moves her eye past mid-point are crossed, therefore the muscle never receives the signal to move. This is something she was born with. I'm guessing if it was Duane's Syndrome you would have noticed it long before she was 8, but I wanted to give you another option to look into.

Whatever the case, I would get an appointment with my ped or gen. practitioner so they could refer you to a pediatric opthalmologist.

My friend noticed that her son's eye was turning in, just the right one.

The first eye Dr. put him in glasses, but it wasn't getting better and she went with mommy instinct and took him to another Dr. for 2nd opinion.

The 2nd Dr. noticed that his optic nerves were swollen. After tests and a spinal tap, they figured out that his spinal fluid was flowing too heavily (or something) and creating pressure on his optic nerves. If they hadn't discovered it in time, he could have gone blind. He's 5 years old. He had no other symptoms except that eye turning in.

I would take her in to get checked.

Friends son is on meds to fix spinal fluid flow and the swelling is reducing, but he'll be on the meds for months.

DD had EXACTLY the same thing. I began noticing it when she was 2, but I thought I was seeing things because no one else ever saw it! Finally, right after she turned 3, I decided that I was not crazy and took her to the ped, who referred us to a pediatric opthamologist. Sure enough, her eye was turning outward at times! She had Strabismu.

It can happen because of weak eye muscles, but thankfully that wasn't the cause for us. DD just needed a very large prescription for glasses. Her eye muscles were getting weak from straining too much too focus. But there was not an actual issue with her eye muscles that needed surgery or anything. After a year of patching and wearing her glasses, her eye stopped turning outwards. We just got cleared last month to quit patching.

Definitely take her to the ped to have it looked at. If caught early, it's very easily correctable.

Definitely call a pediatric opthalmologist. My son's eye started wandering at 3. I forget the actual diagnosis, but it wasn't lazy eye. Anyway, he wore glasses and we patched the good eye (to make the weak one stronger). I think we patched for a year. He is now 13 and doesn't need the glasses and hasn't for a year.

BUT, if we hadn't taken him in when we did, he could've gone blind. That weaker eye would've kept getting weaker and eventually would've stopped working altogether.

Dd has that. Amblyopia. She has glasses with a script just for the one side and is also beginning vision therapy for the convergence insufficiency caused by the amblyopia (she is so used to it not working properly that her eyes don't work correctly together and one eye stops working after a while--causes her serious problems reading, esp with normal size type).

Thank you so much for all of your help!

I always thought "lazy eye" was a droopy eyelid, so the thought of it possibly being lazy eye never crossed my mind. :glare: I've learned my new thing for the day!

I'm very concerned about dd because she is almost 9 years old and this problem came up quite suddenly. From the bit of reading I've had time to do it seems as though amblyopia develops more in very young children. Is that the case? My "Mommy alarm" is going off and I have appts. with our GP and eye dr. for this week.

I spoke with dd earlier tonight and asked if she was having any difficulty with reading, vision problems, or anything like that and she said it wasn't bothering her at all. I know she would have said something by now because she has to have a band-aid for every little bump, scratch, or mosquito bite. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks to your help I now have proper terminology to use on my Google search (rather than 'eye not focusing with the other eye', 'weird eyeball tricks', etc.) I had no clue!

I pray that all of your loved ones who are troubled with these difficulties will respond to their treatments and healed very soon.

Blessings!

Amy

sounds like exotropia, a form of strabismus. in exo, the eye wanders outward.

lazy eye is called amblyopia- drs usually patch the good eye to force the other eye to work better. but lazy eye and strabismus (cross eyes) are different conditions, even though some people use the terms interchangeably. perhaps because strabismus can cause amblyopia.

My DD's is intermittent exotropia. Occasional outward turning of the eye. I first noticed it a few years ago and it took awhile for me to even be sure I wasn't just imagining it. She doesn't notice it.

Also, the optometrist couldn't see it, but the pediatric ophthalmologist saw it right away.

Are you seeing an ophthalmologist? I would definitely recommend one- not an optometrist.

I will if the GP can recommend a good one for us. Good doctors are becoming harder and harder to find (the ones who are open to alternatives like therapy).

Definitely call a pediatric opthalmologist. My son's eye started wandering at 3. I forget the actual diagnosis, but it wasn't lazy eye. Anyway, he wore glasses and we patched the good eye (to make the weak one stronger). I think we patched for a year. He is now 13 and doesn't need the glasses and hasn't for a year.

BUT, if we hadn't taken him in when we did, he could've gone blind. That weaker eye would've kept getting weaker and eventually would've stopped working altogether.

:iagree: