Menu

What one book do you wish nonbelievers would read? How about Christians?

Yeah, I was actually getting ready to write to him to congratulate him on his restraint in the movie. I think he could do so much toward advancing science if he'd just apply himself to some thoughtful dialogue, but when I went to the website to do that, there was a gigantic monologue full of more vitriolic diatribe, geesh..... enough already....

I don't know, it just comes across to me as pure ego and I think we all need to set that aside in order to really get anywhere on the big issues confronting us at this time in our history.... I think he's exceptionally intelligent, but I would also like to see him be able to be more of a Stephen Hawking in terms of addressing the rest of us peons in the world around him. One cannot really fully promote one's point of view if so many readers cannot get past the wall of ego and concentrate on the arguments. I'd like to see his humanity.

And see, that's one of the things I love about him. :tongue_smilie: Intelligence, sarcasm, and arrogance make interesting reading, in my opinion. However, I fully realize most people do NOT feel the same way, and therefore I don't usually recommend him unless I know the person can appreciate his style. (Therefore I don't usually recommend him.) :D

But seriously, I don't know that I think he is trying that hard, I think that certain things really gripe him and it comes through in his writing. And though I try really hard, I can often relate. :o

I can't listen to him for long for the same reason I can't listen to Rush Limbaugh or (most of the time) Glen Beck. It isn't the content, per se, it's just that because they come across with a bite of anger and arrogance, I stop hearing the argument. It gets lost in the tone.

I need to try again, I guess. He's best, for my purposes, taken in small doses. :-) I like him best when people quote or paraphrase him. :D

Screwtape Letters with John Cleese reading it are good for anyone. It's just so funny.

Forgive me if this gets long but, in truth, I am not very good anymore with reading other points of view. I think it's the journey I already took that does it to me. I started off agnostic, borderline atheist who salivated over scientific arguments against creation, moved to a Unitarian and tried to be open minded about some of the other religions I interacted with in that area. I read a book, can't remember the name, that was something like, All one God, or All Religions are One...??? Moved on to Spong and "Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism", plus one other I can't remember now. That had lots of "most scholars say" with too little real evidence to back it up. I got through Asimov's Old Testament book too. I gave up.

Finally, a friend gave me "More than a Carpenter". It is not some solid, fat, deep book but it gave me a jump off point where real Christianity could be "reasonable", instead of completely nutty.

Let's just say I got hit hard in the head by the Holy Spirit and found myself becoming exactly what I swore I'd avoid. So, on that end I agree with the Calvinists. However, C.S. Lewis "Mere Christianity" sealed the deal for me. Lewis brought my raised atheist husband to a theist too but through the audio version. It's so much more conversational that way. It was originally not a book but from radio. Both of us went heavily into the science we thought we knew as well. You don't turn black sheep on your family unless you do your homework and know what you're getting into.

Since then I admit I just cannot read other things open minded as others would like me to. I wish I could but that time has past for me. I read things and they seem like someone jumping through logical hoops for something that really is a spiritual issue. I already completely sympathize with the spiritual issue since I was there, but the logic doesn't hold water in most things. I'm reading Atlas Shrugged right now and I'm loving it - okay, loving it like a train wreck, but you know what I mean. However, I think the character is too self-centered so I don't have the respect for her arguments for that reason.

The only place I haven't dipped my foot is with Islam. For the sake of understanding, I will probably have to do that sometime.

For Christians, the Koran. We have a copy of it, although I certainly haven't read it all the way through. Really, any book that goes against the beliefs of one's own religion can help someone articulate better why they believe what they believe.

I think it is also valuable to understand another religion from its source so we may let go of the myths that are regularly bandied about.

There's a series "What do we believe?" I've only read the pagan one, as our library doesn't carry the rest. The others have excellent reviews on amazon, so I expect they are just as good. These books are an easy read, can be read in an afternoon, and list quite clearly what the different branches believe. At least that's what the pagan one had, so I imagine the others would do the same. It's not at all preachy. I'm not interested in being converted, because I arrived at my beliefs deliberately. I'm not interested in converting anyone else either, because they probably arrived at their beliefs deliberately too. However, books that clearly state the beliefs of a religion are very useful. It's so easy to get lost in the mumbo jumbo presented by the media, etc. It's quite normal for people of a particular religion to be unaware what traditions are actually religious teachings, and what came from somewhere else. I don't want to be a muslim, but I definately want to know what the teachings of Islam are, and what is some other cultural tradition that has been added to the pot.

If you're interested, pop 'what do we believe series' into the amazon search engine and have a squizz. I only wish they came as a box set!

:)

Rosie

I would echo what many have already stated: I think the best way to understand the Bible is simply to read the Bible. This would be for non-Christians and Christians alike. I've been disturbed lately by some Biblical illiteracy I've encountered.

After that, C.S. Lewis is great, and I prefer The Great Divorce, but also like Mere Christianity. I read Dinesh D'Souza's new book recently, What's So Great About Christianity? and thoroughly enjoyed it. My husband also read Francis Collin's The God Factor and liked it enough to recommend it to a friend.

As far as favorite books, I'm like Plaid Dad: I love The Lord of the Rings and can't remember even how many times I've read it. I also think the Koran would be good to read, to understand our current age. I've also read Unveiling Islam, written by two Muslims who converted to Christianity.

Now my list is getting too long, but I have to add that I've enjoyed all of Jon Krakauer's books except for Into the Wild. I found Christopher McCandless's (name?--it's been a while since I've read it) death to be so unnecessary and disturbing. Krakauer is an agnostic and is so achingly honest that it makes me just want to sit down and have a cup of coffee with him and find out what his journey has been like. One other thing about Jon Krakauer: we have a friend in Kansas City who is a very good writer who's been trying to break into the "big time," so to speak. He went to one of Jon Krakauer's book signings and got autographed copies for his family and our family. He said that when he told Jon Krakauer than he'd recently had his first book published, Jon stood up and shook his hand and congratulated him; he also spoke with him at length about writing and publishing books. Our friend said that Krakauer was a geniunely good guy. :)

......I would most highly recommend Living Buddha, Living Christ by Thich Nhat Hanh. This is an absolutely beautiful book that will uplift people of both of these faiths, and possibly others as well.

And for absolutely everyone, I would second genie's recommendation for The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell.

For creationists and evolutionists alike, I would recommend The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. I know there's been a lot of talk on this thread about his rather aggressive style. I read this book 15 years ago, so it's possible my memory isn't reliable, but I don't remember getting that from this particular book at all. And I think it does a great job of explaining how evolution works so that creationists can understand what it claims, and even evolutionists can clear up some of their misconceptions and deepen their understanding.

For non-Christians (like myself!) I recommend the Gospels and the Gnostic Gospels. With all due respect to Christians, I think parts of the Bible are going to be a little off-putting to many non-Christians. But the Gospels distill the essence of Christianity, and I think they should be the starting point. And the Gnostic Gospels I just love because of those elements which they have in common with Buddhism! (That and I'm a die-hard fan of Mary Magdalene!)

Now, I would dearly love for any Jews and Muslims on these boards to recommend books for me, to introduce me to those faiths. I've read books about polytheistic religions around the world, but I'm shamefully ignorant of these two monotheistic religions which are both so closely kin to Christianity.

For everyone, Buddhism for Mothers, which shows how buddhist ideas translate to real life.

For Christians and others, Jesus: Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millenium by Bart Ehrman.

Also by Ehrman, Misquoting Jesus

The Gnostic Gospels by Pagels is interesting, too.

For non Jews, I recommend reading any fiction by Chaim Potok, very compelling, beautiful and thought provoking. His books gave me a look into a culture and system of worship and study I know vey little about. I wish I could study the Talmud in depth after reading his books.

I don't know, it just comes across to me as pure ego and I think we all need to set that aside in order to really get anywhere on the big issues confronting us at this time in our history.... I think he's exceptionally intelligent, but I would also like to see him be able to be more of a Stephen Hawking in terms of addressing the rest of us peons in the world around him. One cannot really fully promote one's point of view if so many readers cannot get past the wall of ego and concentrate on the arguments. I'd like to see his humanity.

Maybe that is his humanity, pure and raw, his quality of being human. Of course I agree with your basic sentiment. But I'm not sure that what you want him to be is what he wants to be. He sells lots of books, has a lot of fans, and he gets to express himself in a way that is genuine to who he is. He isn't watering his personality down to try to make it more agreeable to the general population. Would the basic message be more widely spread if he did that? Possibly. Would he be able to publish a book feeling like it said exactly what he wanted it to say in exactly the way he wanted it to? Probably not. Yes, he is someone who is trying to promote a point of view, but he is refusing to lose himself in the process. And I appreciate that.

Totally off topic, but is the mini-series available on dvd, do you know? I loved watching that when it was on TV.

It is! I got it from Amazon a couple of winters ago. :001_smile:

I also think the Koran would be good to read, to understand our current age.

If you want something a little shorter... I've spent a good few hours reading Muslim women's websites. A site that is for Muslim women, by Muslim women, really shows who they think they are. It's really interesting to read posts about gender roles in marriage. After all the hype you hear, they are much more normal than you find yourself expecting. Girls logging on to announce they are now wearing a headscarf, and being congratulated. Girls logging on to say they don't, and being told that it's ok. Sure, you get some that have more extremist points of view, but most sound much like the rest of us. I imagine I could do the same with other religions, but I haven't had reason to look yet.

:)

Rosie

Thank you all very much for your suggestions and for helping keep this discussion civil! You don't know how worried I was about posting the original questions. I'm so glad it turned out well and, ahem, most of you got the gist of what I was looking for. :D

Eternity in Their Hearts by Don Richardson...about the "keys" found in different cultures to help them understand & identify with the story of Christ's arrival, teaching, departure, and return. Wonderful book.

Lords of the Earth and Peace Child by Don Richardson are also excellent. I'm trying to find Eternity in Their Hearts for my kids to read. Bruchko is another excellent book about a missionary. Some of these people really lay their lives on the line for what they believe.

I would like to recommend Christians read their bible. Specifically I John 4:7&8

Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God. Those who love are children of God and those who love not are not children of God, for God is love.

And I would like all the people who want to preach to me from the King James Version of the Bible to read it in Hebrew and Latin. Study it with a real open minded Rabbi.

Pagans - should read that book about King Arthur - but told from the viewpoint of his sister. Was that Avalon?

I know this isn't what you were looking for. But it's what I would want for everyone to read.....going along their own path.....quietly.

Marion Zimmer Bradley's 'The Mists of Avalon'

• 1 year later...

OH, I remember this thread!!

Has anyone followed through and read any of the recommendations?

I did read The Power of Myth and watched the video series as well.

I also read Mere Christianity and The Mists of Avalon.

I need to find the other books I've been meaning to read.

OH, I remember this thread!!

Has anyone followed through and read any of the recommendations?

I did read The Power of Myth and watched the video series as well.

I also read Mere Christianity and The Mists of Avalon.

I need to find the other books I've been meaning to read.

I really enjoyed Mere Christianity. It's interesting that is was my dh, an atheist, who actually recommended I read it.

N.T. Wright has some books that explain Christianity well. He has one that is a response to John Piper's interpretation of some Christian doctrine; I haven't read it, but he presents well-reasoned arguments and is not sarcastic, confrontational, or mean. He also has some responses to Marcus Borg and to the Jesus Seminar that I think are excellent. These would be for both the non-Christian and the Christian alike.

And on the other hand, what one book would you recommend, as a non-religious person, to one who does believe in a God/Yahweh/Allah, etc?

Not that it is promoting losing one's religion, but since it calls upon you to rely on your thoughts, Freedom From the Known by Krishnamurti, might be seen as secular. You could also use it as a "self-help" book. He advocates letting go of one's assumptions, particularly the sway for charismatic leaders, and focusing quiet thought on one's own beliefs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiddu_Krishnamurti

Imagine, as a child, being picked by Annie Besant as the Theophosy second coming! Then imagine telling them to all take a hike! One imagines how oppressive his worldly leaders must have been to him.

The secular humanist will find secular humanism in him, and the devout believer in a deity will find a brushing away of worldly leaders to give a purer road to their deity. It is a short book, and an edited transcription of his talks, so it is an easy read.

Rome Sweet Rome by Scott Hahn. A Protestant minister was finishing his PhD and chose to write about the flaws in Catholic faith. In the process those flaws became truths to him. He lost many friends and nearly lost his family through this process.

It's as much of a personal journey, human interest story, as highlights into Catholicism.

In fact any books by Scott Hahn will not only make you think but possibly put you into a crisis. There are many other Catholic apologists as well. Tim Staples is a former Assembly of God minister who also has a Catholic Converstion story. Steve Ray wrote "Crossing the Tiber" and has an entire website called catholicconvert.com where people discuss the books they read which convinced them to convert to Catholicism. I know someone said that your life cannot be changed by one book, but in fact that is not always true. Books can change your life. I converted to the Catholic Church from a Baptist background due in large part to 2 factors...my husband was Catholic and wanted to raise the family Catholic and I did lots of research reading every book written by Scott Hahn and other apologists. It completely altered my view of the Catholic Church forever. Many beliefs of the Catholic church are misunderstood by Catholics themselves who may have been raised in the church but never understood it. I will say there is so much information out there on the church I could study it forever and not quite ever understand it all. Yet it is worth studying. I did love my time in the Catholic Church. Unfortunately, my husband (now ex husband) who was the one wanting me to become Catholic ended up walking out on our family for a young woman he met. He left the church as well. I found no support at all in the Catholic church when this happened and in fact I felt alienated b/c I am expected to get an anullment and I have no idea how to even do that. I felt very ostracized and ended up reverting back to a protestant church . In fact I swung to the other end of the spectrum and now attend an Assembly of God church . However the people there were very friendly and supportive during this time to me and unfortunately I had no choice but to go where there were people that really reached out and helped. I often think about the Catholic Church still and have a fondness for it. Yet I feel I had no choice but to go where the people were open to me and my family.

Interesting resurrection of a thread.

Reading through I realize I've read many of the "sacred" texts, but not one of the neo-atheist books.

I suppose I should break-down and read C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity but I must admit the experience of reading the first several books in the Narnia series was very trying, as I found his writing so banal that my teeth felt like they were going to crack.

I'd like to take on the Tanya by the Alter Rebbe (Shneur Zalman of Liadi), a late-eighteenth century work by the founding Rebbe of Lubavitch Hasidism (Chabad) as my next "major" project. Although I'm aware of my inadequacy in taking on this challenging work without a guide and lacking fore-knowledge of many aspects of Jewish mysticism. What are you going to do?

I'll throw out a recommendation no one has mentioned: The Guide for the Perplexed by Maimonides (aka Rabbi Moshe ben Maimon, aka "the Rambam"). This twelfth century book on philosophy had a major influence on the intellectual history of the west, and Jewish thought. Not beach reading however :D

Bill

I, as a Christian, have recommended Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis to nonbelievers who were interested in learning about Christianity. i recommend it first, because C.S. Lewis' style is engaging and it is a pleasurable read whether you agree or not. The second reason I recommend it is because Lewis attempts to explain the basic tenets that are common to all denominations. He focuses on what all Christians (Catholics included) have in common and does not promote one particular denomination over another.

:iagree:

Also, The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis, as this addresses some of the most common misconceptions about the nature of God Himself.