Menu

What one book do you wish nonbelievers would read? How about Christians?

I'm honestly pondering this question. I'm a little hesitant to post it though, because I don't want this to degenerate into a finger-pointing, name-calling, back-and-forth exchange between the religious and the non-religious. Or the Catholics and the non-Catholics. Or the Jewish and the non-Jewish. Muslim and the non-Muslim. Or ... I think you get my meaning.

So, here's what I've noticed. A lot of times we choose books and recommend books that support our belief system, whether it be about religion, evolution, creationism, global warming, politics, etc. If you already support that position, wouldn't it be preaching to the choir to read more about it? Why don't more people choose to read books that directly contradict their beliefs? I mean challenge themselves to read something opposite and see if there are any valid points made? Compare and contrast, etc?

What one book (besides the Bible/Koran/Tanakh, etc.) would you recommend, as a religious person, to one who doesn't believe? What one book do you wish that the agnostic/skeptic/atheist or whatever would open up and try to understand?

And on the other hand, what one book would you recommend, as a non-religious person, to one who does believe in a God/Yahweh/Allah, etc?

Or what one book would a Wiccan recommend to a non-Wiccan? A Muslim to a non-Muslim? A Catholic to a non-Catholic? A Jew to a non-Jew?

I would like to broaden my horizons a little. I have to admit I've read The God Delusion, The Blind Watchmaker, and The Ancestor's Tale (ohhhhh, did this one take me forever to read! I almost wanted to start Moby Dick instead!) by Richard Dawkins. And I do want to read The Selfish Gene.

But I also want to find some books that challenge me to see another viewpoint. I read Noah's Flood and thought it was very interesting. I'm fascinated by how much information we're able to discover from archaeological digs, although I realize how difficult it is to interpret the data sometimes. But I think I enjoyed that book because it focused on the discovery trail and what that might reveal rather than trying to push a controversial agenda one way or the other.

I'm reminded of a law class I took long ago where we had to learn how to write a legal brief without planning for the outcome. We had to take the facts and apply the law, and then we would end up with an argument based upon that information. We weren't allowed to have an answer and try to fit the facts and law to the outcome we wanted.

Of course, that sounds all fine and dandy but it doesn't happen that often in real life. I don't know that there are any truly objective books on any controversial subject.

Anyway, I'm hoping to find some good book recommendations here. I've had Catholic and Christian: An Explanation of Commonly Misunderstood Catholic Beliefs on my "To Read" list for years. Has anyone read this and, if so, would you recommend it? Dh was raised Catholic, so it's something I've wanted to read for a while.

Thanks for your suggestions on this exploratory journey! ;)

I would like to recommend Christians read their bible. Specifically I John 4:7&8

Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God. Those who love are children of God and those who love not are not children of God, for God is love.

And I would like all the people who want to preach to me from the King James Version of the Bible to read it in Hebrew and Latin. Study it with a real open minded Rabbi.

Pagans - should read that book about King Arthur - but told from the viewpoint of his sister. Was that Avalon?

I know this isn't what you were looking for. But it's what I would want for everyone to read.....going along their own path.....quietly.

What one book (besides the Bible/Koran/Tanakh, etc.) would you recommend, as a religious person, to one who doesn't believe? What one book do you wish that the agnostic/skeptic/atheist or whatever would open up and try to understand?

Anyway, I'm hoping to find some good book recommendations here. I've had Catholic and Christian: An Explanation of Commonly Misunderstood Catholic Beliefs on my "To Read" list for years. Has anyone read this and, if so, would you recommend it? Dh was raised Catholic, so it's something I've wanted to read for a while.

Thanks for your suggestions on this exploratory journey! ;)

I, as a Christian, have recommended Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis to nonbelievers who were interested in learning about Christianity. i recommend it first, because C.S. Lewis' style is engaging and it is a pleasurable read whether you agree or not. The second reason I recommend it is because Lewis attempts to explain the basic tenets that are common to all denominations. He focuses on what all Christians (Catholics included) have in common and does not promote one particular denomination over another.

I am going to add Catholic and Christian: An Explanation of Commonly Misunderstood Catholic Beliefs to my "To Read" list. I listened to a Catholic apologist last year on tape and I found his explanations incredibly fascinating. My dh was also raised Catholic and I find myself regularly stunned by the misperceptions people have over Catholic beliefs but unable to correct them because of my own ignorance.

To start with, I'm a Calvinist. I don't believe that a book is what will change a person, but rather Gd. Even Scripture, it doesn't change a person without the Spirit bringing about understanding as they read (of course one would have to read it for that to happen though ;) ) So I guess my choice would be Scripture. If I chose another it would probably be The Three Forms of Unity, The Westminster Confession, or Institutes of the Christian Religion.

BTW, I DO read plenty about what others believe. One of my latest purchases was a book called "The Catholic Way". I'm not Catholic, don't plan on becoming Catholic, but have friends that are Catholic. In fact, my friends are of a variety of faiths. I also interact with people of many faiths online, and trust me, an article here and there come up at times.

For non-Christians, Mere Christianity is my top pick. I'll have to think more about a book for non-Catholics; there are a lot of good ones, but some are better than others. I'm tempted to say Lord of the Rings. ;)

Karen sn, the title you're thinking of is The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. :)

Guest Virginia Dawn

I would say Mere Christianity, also.

Funnily enough, the Father Brown Mysteries by Chesterton were very thought provoking for me. I think Father Brown brings up some very valuable theological points in those stories. Tiger in the Smoke by Margery Allingham was another fiction book that impacted me with its theological message.

A little known book that I would also recommend is The Source by John Clayton. It is written by a formerly atheist public school science teacher.

I would also like to read books that delve into other faiths. I'll be watching this thread.

I'm Catholic. I think my top book of choice would be Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton, either that or The Everlasting Man by Chesterton for the non Christian wanting to learn about Christianity. I especially love The Everlasting Man because of its very refreshing and reasonable (not based on fundamentalism) deconstruction of a lot of myths we've built up about evolution. Chesterton sees everything with such a refreshing, reasonable and laugh out loud witty style. He's incredible!

I am not familiar with the book Catholic and Christian. I have a book called Why Do Catholics Do That? This is really a collection of articles that someone wrote in a Catholic newspaper for many years, answering questions about Catholicism. It is really easy to read and very thorough.

For New Agers, there is a stunningly beautiful and incredibly mystical book entitled Meditations on the Tarot; A Journey into Christian Hermeticism by anonymous. This is by a guy who followed Steiner for many years and then in his last years converted to Catholicism. It is a very long and deep, deep book! I have only read parts but I would recommend it highly. I keep working on it!

We have the Tanakh, The Koran and the Book of Mormom as well as other books about different faiths. I went through a long period of searching (including a period of atheism/agnosticism) before I reverted back to Catholicism. My husband is Jewish.

Stories of the prophets by ibn katheer

The Bible the Quran annd Science by Maruice Baucille

Anything written by Bilal Philips

The sealed Nector

anything by Ahmad Deedat

Quran

Books I enjoyed by Christian Authors:

Created to Be His Helpmeet

The Vital importance of Keeping our children's hearts

Managers of their homes

Passionate Housewives desperate for God

raising maidens of virtue

I'd like Christians to read "Our Hands are Stained With Blood" by Michael Brown. I really wish the author had picked a different title, because I think it's a bit off-putting. I read it many years ago, and wept for three days and repented over being part of a mindset that was wrong, wrong, wrong, and hurtful to G-d's people.

The book is about what the Church has done to the Jewish people (some of it in ignorance, and some with full knowledge). It was a real eye-opener for me, and it showed me the areas in my own heart that were clearly not in line with G-d's heart for His people.

Restoring the Jewishness of the Gospel by David Stern is another book I'd recommend. It is my heartfelt desire that all Christians understand the Jewish roots of their faith. It is an awesome blessing.

Rome Sweet Rome by Scott Hahn. A Protestant minister was finishing his PhD and chose to write about the flaws in Catholic faith. In the process those flaws became truths to him. He lost many friends and nearly lost his family through this process.

It's as much of a personal journey, human interest story, as highlights into Catholicism.

Non-Christians: The Bible, and not with the mindset of "Heh heh heh, I'll read this and take it all out of context and show those people how wrong they are!"

I agree with the already-suggested works by Jonathan Edwards, DL Moody and I'd like to toss in works by Calvin, as well.

Christians: I think any work that helps the believer know the where a non-believer is coming from is helpful. And, for their own personal edification, any of the above listed for non-believers.

For non-believers; Girls Meets God by Lauren Winner, So You Think You're Not Religious by James Adams, and I like A Grief Observed, by C. S. Lewis better than Mere Christianity (I also like the Screwtape Letters better too). Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott, Amazing Grace by Kathleen Norris,

For believers; Some of these are about other faiths as well as questioning faith in general. Common Prayers by Harvey Cox, When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chodron, Doubts and Loves, by Richard Holloway,

Remedial Christianity, by Paul Laughlin. The Selfish Gene, by Richard Dawkins, and God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens, Islam for the Western Mind: Understanding Muhammad and the Koran, by Richard Henry Drummond, A History of God by Karen Armstrong, Misquoting Jesus Bart D. Ehrman

For Christians to understand why I don't believe in an all powerful, beneficent deity I'd recommend Bart Ehrman's latest book God's Problem. He's much less combative than Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchins or Richard Dawkins.

I've never read Mere Christianity, I'll have to give it a try. And, Plaid Dad, I think you might have something with the Lord of the Rings. I've tried to read it several times and couldn't stand it.

I'd have to recommend The Great Divorce by CS Lewis (fiction, but written to illustrate a point). Catholic and Christian is a good one - I've lent it to friends because I think it covers more than I'd be able to in a conversation, and they have benefited from it.

besides the Bible, I can't think of a book I'd like a non-Christian to read if you mean to try to get them to see your point of view. I am a Calvinist as well and I am not one for trying to *persuade* someone to be a Christian. I do have a heart for the lost so I pray for my unbelieving friends and ask the Holy Spirit to work in their hearts as only He can do.

I guess I'd make my recommendations on an individual basis and just suggest something I thought they might be interested in or find intellectually stimulating for the fun of it - friend to friend. Although I am a protestant, I enjoy G.K. Chesterton's mind so I have recommended him in the past. I thought Moby Dick was hilarious (honest, I loved that book and found it extremely humorous), and I like Dickens, especially A Tale of Two Cities (his descriptions are beyond description :)) and of course, the story is sublime.

For Christians, I'd suggest reading A Reason for the Hope by Thomas A. Thomas.

Interesting. You are all so well read, intelligent and impressive.

This may seem out of the ozone, but I think most readers of any kind - including none - of spirituality would benefit from reading Alcholics Anonymous. In case you don't know, AA took its name from their published volume. The first 165 pages are consider the "text" and the rest is a compilation of stories of recovery meant to reflect the current membership. The first 165 has never been changed, but the stories have been changed a few times to update.

It's a fascinating read from a cultural, historical, spiritual and psychological standpoint. It was written in the 1930's. It's written on a higher level than most "self help" books of today's genre. It includes references, phrasing and content that are of that time.

But it's also timeless and impressive in it's conclusions. It presents a psysiological perspective on alcoholism that was unheard of "then" but eventually became proven by science. It captures the heart of alcoholism from a behavioral and mental standpoint.

The book was written by mostly Christians but it presents an inclusive idea of spirituality.

It has a fantastic chapter on Agnostics (written with the intention of that agnostic becoming open to the power of a Higher Power).

I honestly believe the hand of God was in writing that book and I have seen His miracles abound through people understanding it and following the recovery suggestions included in it.

I highly recommend anything by Marcus Borg for those who are uncomfortable with Biblical literalism.

A great book for understanding Unitarian Universalism is A Chosen Faith.

I also highly recommend Finding Your Religion: When the Faith You Grew Up with Has Lost Its Meaning.

I am uncomfortable with the thread title -- "nonbelievers" and "Christians," though I do appreciate that the text of the OP is more nuanced.

I wish all Christians would read: Mother Nature by Sarah Blaffer Hrdy (not a typo).

I highly recommend anything by Marcus Borg for those who are uncomfortable with Biblical literalism.
One of my best friends, raised fundamentalist, is a huge proponent of Borg.

For non-Christians, definitely the Bible, followed up with (or preceded by) Mere Christianity. The Bible is where one finds pure, undefiled Christianity that hasn't been muddied up by being interpreted through somone else's biases. (Disclaimer--there are great Bible teachers out there, but nothing cuts it for me quite like the real thing.)

For Christians, the Koran. We have a copy of it, although I certainly haven't read it all the way through. Really, any book that goes against the beliefs of one's own religion can help someone articulate better why they believe what they believe.

I'd have to recommend The Great Divorce by CS Lewis (fiction, but written to illustrate a point). Catholic and Christian is a good one - I've lent it to friends because I think it covers more than I'd be able to in a conversation, and they have benefited from it.

I've read The Great Divorce 3 or 4 times and I get some wonderful new nuggets each time I read it. I LOVE that book!! To me, though, it doesn't seem to ever get the recommendations that it should.

I have nothing new to add to this. As a Christian, like others, my recommendations would be the Bible first & Mere Christianity second, but The Great Divorce is definitely one I'd add, though I hadn't thought of it until this poster recommended it.

T

The Way of the Master by Ray Comfort

Have you seen the videos?? Our church does a training class with the videos. Great, great material.. We even have the kids book The Way of the Master for Kids: Teaching Kids How to Share Their Faith~very cute book :001_smile:

Reading material: One Thing You CanĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t Do In Heaven by Mark Cahill is really good for Christians..This is on his website under the book: Are you ready for eternity? If so, are you helping others get ready for that journey into eternity that each of us must take? As believers, we all know we should tell others about the Lord, but we often donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t know how. This practical book will give you ideas for starting conversations, examples of witnessing situations, and answers to common questions, to help encourage, challenge, and equip you to reach both friends and strangers for Jesus the rest of your life!

Have you seen the videos?? Our church does a training class with the videos. Great, great material.. We even have the kids book The Way of the Master for Kids: Teaching Kids How to Share Their Faith~very cute book :001_smile:

Are these the same people that do "The Way of the Master" radio show? With Kirk Cameron? I can't tolerate that show. It is so very legalistic. It may not be the same people. It's like you've got their version of "The way of God" and that's the way it has to be done or your wrong. I get the feeling when I listen to them that if I'm not standing on a pedestal outside my local Target store evengelizing the world then I'm not doing things the way God wants me to. Ick!

T

Pagans - should read that book about King Arthur - but told from the viewpoint of his sister. Was that Avalon?

Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley? Right?

I think I would just like to recommend that people, no matter their religious or non-religious inclination, actually read those books they so quickly condemn before condemning them. Don't take someone else word or interpretation at face value. Read it for yourself.

I've been a non-deist witch for a long time, and my dh kept telling me how much of what I said I felt was expressed in another book that I simply refused to read. Finally, I did read it and was surprised to find how benign the book really was. It was nothing like what I'd heard, nor anything like what I'd expected to find given the overtly provocative title. I didn't agree with everything in the book, only bits here and there, but it was a real shocker to read and realise that.

That book, by the way, was The Satanic Bible. I've never made presumptions about a book since then. Oh, except that no matter what, the next Danielle Steel book will always be cr*p. But, that's more an opinion on the author's predictability than the book, eh? ;)

That book, by the way, was The Satanic Bible. I've never made presumptions about a book since then.

I was very surprised myself when I learned more about what satanism is really about, as opposed to what I had always believed it to be. Very very different things. Great point.

For Wiccans, Neopagans of any stripe and those who want to know more about the actual history of Wicca:

"Triumph of the Moon: A history of modern Pagan Witchcraft" by British historian Ronald Hutton. This is a history, not a how-to book, and goes into the societal, philosophical and other trends in the 19th century that set the stage for Wicca to arise in Britain in the 20th century.

There is another book by Chas Clifton called "Her Hidden Children: the rise of Wicca and Paganism in America" that comes highly recommended about the story of Wicca in America and is on my reading list (we have a copy, my husband recommends it, but I haven't gotten to it yet).

For someone wanting to just know a little more about the variety of Neopagan religions (and that there *is* variety ;):

"The Complete Idiot's Guide to Paganism" by Carl McColman

For monotheists who can't imagine how a modern rational person could possibly be a polytheist :

"A World Full of Gods: an inquiry into polytheism" by John Michael Greer. Looks at polytheism through the arguments for classical theism. Excellent.

I keep trying to read Dawkins, and will try again this summer, but just like Jay Wile, I can't get past the egotism toward any who don't believe just as he does and it makes it very difficult for me to concentrate and follow the text......

I actually thought he came off way more humane than usual in the movie that just came out, but I went to his website and he was right back to name calling and belittling, so......

Oh, yeah, recs.... I don't know. I think another great couple of things by Lewis that Christians should not miss include The Screwtape Letters and Screwtape Proposes a Toast. I also just watched (and plan to read) The Privileged Planet and loved it! I recently enjoyed The Language of God, by Francis Collins, head of the Human Genome Project.

I keep trying to read Dawkins, and will try again this summer, but just like Jay Wile, I can't get past the egotism toward any who don't believe just as he does and it makes it very difficult for me to concentrate and follow the text......

I actually thought he came off way more humane than usual in the movie that just came out, but I went to his website and he was right back to name calling and belittling, so......

I have a terrible time reading Dawkins, too. I want to read him. I have listened to him lecture in smallish segments (TED talks via the internet). There's a sort of belligerence that I just can't get past. Like too much of a chip on his shoulder. I think anybody that's that pissed off and is that sarcastic is just trying too hard. (And I wonder -- why, if one doesn't believe, does one need to try so hard?)

At this moment I'm reading Foxes Book of Martyrs...in very small doses.

First it is amazing the courage it took to be a Christian in some eras- I ask myself, "would I be that brave?" constantly.

Secondly I think that the sheer creativity of evil invented to torture these people for their faith is astounding. Truly I don't know how they came up with their torture techniques.

I timidly suggest it for Christians and Non-Christians. There is a lot to say about history, paganism, etc. The Church of Christ doesn't have a perfect track record but golly, compared to the witch trials we hear so much about- it doesn't hold a candle. I say "timidly" because it is a tough read- gruesome, and probably offensive to those who claim a faith-line with Roman paganism.

It isn't the only book I can think of, but it is fresh in my mind and this post has been interesting.

Jo

I think anybody that's that pissed off and is that sarcastic is just trying too hard.

And see, that's one of the things I love about him. :tongue_smilie: Intelligence, sarcasm, and arrogance make interesting reading, in my opinion. However, I fully realize most people do NOT feel the same way, and therefore I don't usually recommend him unless I know the person can appreciate his style. (Therefore I don't usually recommend him.) :D

But seriously, I don't know that I think he is trying that hard, I think that certain things really gripe him and it comes through in his writing. And though I try really hard, I can often relate. :o