Menu

Dog people, help me with this dog!

Our beloved westie passed away, and finally we went to the pound and got a basset hound mix named Max about a month or so ago. The pound told us he was about 13 months old, but our vet said later that he was at least three years old.

Max had never been house broken, but is making good progress with that. He crate trained very easily. He is not a dominant dog, he is pleasant and easy-going. He did mark everything when we first got him, but he was neutered about two weeks ago and that has completely stopped. He even plays nicely with the cat.

The problem is that he seems to have made some kind of special attachment to my seven year old daughter, and when there is any kind of horsing around going on between the seven year old and the four year old he will come up and nip the four year old quite hard. Like he is warning the four year old 'you mess with her, you mess with me'.

We have asked the kids not to horse around in the house, and they are pretty good about it but it does happen. The dog has nipped three times now, breaking the first layer of skin and leaving bruises. The first time it happened he was told no, shown disapproval and put in his box. He wasn't neutered at the time, and we figured maybe after the surgery he would be a little calmer.

The next time was right after he was neutered. Again he was told no, by me and by my husband, shown that we disapproved (by our voice tone and expression, not by hitting) and put in his box. Since then we have held him on a leash while he watched my son fill his food bowl every day, to emphasize to him that DS is important enough not to bite, and if DS is playing near his crate and moves the door more open, the dog seems to think DS wants him to go into his crate so he gets up and goes in on his own.

Last night was the third time. He is about two and a half weeks post neutering. The kids were in the living room and he was lying in the kitchen. There was a little push-pull in a friendly manner with a plastic toy between the kids and they were giggling, and the dog came quietly into the living room, no growl or anything, and nipped the four year old pretty hard.

We can't think of anything else to do at this point. He has been either outside or in his box. My four year old is an easy going kid but of course I don't want him nipped again. He has never teased or hurt the dog, and he is a pretty quiet kid, not loud or dramatic. The dog is perfectly fine with him except when his sister is involved. The dog is perfectly fine with my three year old grandson (who my daughter doesn't goof around with like that) and my ten month old granddaughter. He has never nipped the three year old or the ten month old or anyone else. He hasn't even nipped the cat. I need some more ideas, or I am going to have to take him back to the pound and I really hate to do that but I am at my limits in terms of dog psychology.

I wouldn't get rid of the dog just yet but I would run, not walk, to a dog trainer for a few quick lessons on dominance. Until you have had a few discussions with a trainer do not let the dog have the run of the house-keep him contained somewhere where he can't be around your son.

After the start in life that this dog has had your scolding means nada to him. Zilch. You have basically not disciplined him at all, in his mind.

It's a start to have your son feed him but he also needs to show dominance in other ways or YOU as "pack leader" need to show him that you're backing up your son. Big Time. Honestly if that happened in my house the dog would think he was going to die for a few minutes. In the wolf pack, if a subordinate gets aggressive with a higher up they think they're going to die. The leader growls, snarls, shows teeth, rolls the lower dog and stands over him until he submits, usually with the other wolves chiming in. They'll often alienate them for a period of time after that. Once the respect is instilled it only takes a look. You need to replicate that sort of punishment to show this dog how serious his crime is. You've only slapped him on the wrist, if that, and he's thinking "no big deal".

He's a hound so he's stubborn but start putting a good No on him and make sure the whole family can use it, your daughter and son included.

I'd SAFELY reinact the situation and have the kids tussle but be ready for the dog and then have the whole family, especially daughter, rain all over him. If you need to or feel safer have him on a long lead so you know he can't actually reach your son, use that lead to contain him when you crash in on him. He needs to know that you and your daughter do not allow him to do that. I stomp my feet and yell and chase them down and either roll them myself or wait until they roll over then stand over them with my hands on their neck (not choking, holding) and verbally abuse them for a few minutes, then they get tied up/kenneled. That may not be right out of the Dog Whisperer but I don't have dog problems and I currently have five of them.

Please call a trainer though-this isn't a difficult fix but you need to do it ASAP.

I would talk to a trainer post haste. But, since safety is a huge issue, I would consider a shock collar and then if he nips again, zap. I know that sounds mean. However, dogs with any kind of biting status usually end up put down since most shelters can't find them a home. So, ending up dead is, imo, worse than suffering a few zaps that aren't enough causing any damage.

I also agree with "rolling" the dog and appearing dominant. Dogs roll over and expose their stomachs as a sign of acknowledgement of who is boss. It's a vulnerable position for them because it exposes their internal organs to a predator. So, you want to roll him and then get aggressive in your manners and tone. This is what the pack dog would do and it is generally effective so long as the dog is not an aggressive animal that is attempting to challenge you for head of the pack. Once a dog challenges the human for "who is in charge now" that is a battle you must win!

But, a trainer can help you get him willingly under control. Until lessons with the trainer begins, no matter what, he needs to know who is boss and in my experience with dogs, hitting or yelling does not produce that...putting them in a position of submission and vulnerability does.

Faith

She was our first dog--and she was half German Shepherd (other half Corgi!) and was 70 lbs. My girls were 3 and 5. If the girls tussled (in play) she would nip or knock over the 3yr old.

We signed up for training lessons pronto-- we specifically looked for a trainer who dealt with larger dogs and behavior issues. Best money we ever spent. The issue was quickly resolved and our dog was secure in her place in our pack. She ended up being a GREAT dog! And more importantly WE learned how to be good masters.

We used a combination of dominance holds/scolding/growling and lots of love!

Right or wrong the only thing that worked with our dog was to push her down and sit on her for a minute. I didn't hurt her but I showed her I was the boss. I had done the training and my son started feeding her but still after the third time of nipping that I caught this is what I did. Never ever had a problem since.

our dachsund used to do that as a puppy but I found out dd8 was hurting the dog when I wasn't looking. I'm SO glad I didn't get rid of him. It wasn't his fault!

I would make him wear a gentle ............ I'm drawing a blank, one of those things around the nuzzle so they can't bite, and I'd definitely get him some training. He could have suffered at the hands of a child before you had him so he may need some extra work. My dachsund ALWAYS nipped boys ankles when they ran, outside the house or in. For many years he was crated when we had company over.

I think training will make a big difference, and your 4yo should also give commands and rewards to show who is boss. I also like the idea of the collar. Better discomfort while training than ending up another shelter statistic. :sad:

I have owned many kinds of dogs and fostered many more. After working at a shelter I have come to the conclusion that the majority of people getting rid of their dogs did not bother with consistent training and excercise. They are like 3-4 yr olds...especially shelter dogs who are in upheaval and trying to figure out the new place. A good trainer is worth their weight in gold. Also our children did the training with our reinforcement and help, after we instilled a solid base with the dog. The kids feed them as well.

I would institute, NILIF (nothing in life is free) with the dog from everyone. Said dog has to sit, stay, or lay down, etc. for his food, treats, lovin's, walk, going outside, etc. He does what you ask, you reward with a pat, going outside, a walk, treat, etc. The dog starts to realize where he exactly falls in that pack. Also, our dogs have their own sleeping areas, that children are not allowed in or on. That helps them be able to remove themselves when they are stressed, which can prevent issues. Our dogs also do not sleep in rooms or in beds. Those are for the top pack members. It's worked for us and for the many breeds we've owned.

Also a tired dog is a good dog and a happy family. We have a hound (a Beagle, who we affectionately call a Bugle, lol) so I know how they can be as far as stubborness.

Please don't use a shock collar unless it's a last resort. I have them, I use them, but did so with the help of a trainer and lots of reading. They work on some dogs and not on others for various reasons. I like them, but for certain times only.

Good luck!

our dachsund used to do that as a puppy but I found out dd8 was hurting the dog when I wasn't looking. I'm SO glad I didn't get rid of him. It wasn't his fault!

I would make him wear a gentle ............ I'm drawing a blank, one of those things around the nuzzle so they can't bite, and I'd definitely get him some training. He could have suffered at the hands of a child before you had him so he may need some extra work. My dachsund ALWAYS nipped boys ankles when they ran, outside the house or in. For many years he was crated when we had company over.

I think training will make a big difference, and your 4yo should also give commands and rewards to show who is boss. I also like the idea of the collar. Better discomfort while training than ending up another shelter statistic. :sad:

Gentle Leader?

Doesn't prevent biting. It's not a muzzle, it's a head collar, like a halter on a horse. Used for leash training, and I"m not a fan of it for that, either.

I'm dashing out the door, but will try to comment further on this tonight.

astrid