Menu

What are your opinions on n*dism?

I meant a mindset segment, the sort who thinks removing restrictions makes something more authentic.

Also what's with the faintly accusatory tone in all this....these conversations always seem to run like -- If you were really comfortable with your body, you'd show it. Well, why do I hqve to prove anything?

:iagree: I also find it hilarious that we consider clothing a modesty only learned behavior.

For Christians, yes, I see this pov, because we believe that God clothed Adam and Eve. For non-Christians... it sure seems like something that would be great from an evolutionary stand point. I've only said it twice, but let me throw it out there again... poison ivy. Poison Ivy alone, imo, is reason enough to wear clothing. Clothing protects our bodies from sharp corners, bugs, sun, weather, and a plethora of other things.

I'm repeating myself, but again... having shelter is also something we teach our children. Not because we have some crazy hang up about hiding ourselves, but because it's safer, it protects us while we sleep, it allows us to store food and hide it away from critters. Heck, bathing is taught to our kids, because it keeps us healthy. Hand washing and pooping away from your living space, all learned behaviors that, from an evolutionary stand point, keep us healthier. All of those behaviors can be traced back to the Israelites no less. Even hand-washing was given to us by God, but we don't fight against those standards...

It's just silly to say that it's all about modesty hang ups, when wherever you go, no matter the way a tribe or group sees sex, people wear some sort of clothing.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:iagree: I also find it hilarious that we consider clothing a modesty only learned behavior.

It's just silly to say that it's all about modesty hang ups, when wherever you go, no matter the way a tribe or group sees sex, people wear some sort of clothing.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Both from a religious point-of-view and a non-religious one.

One could say that a person who refuses to say, get a massage or go to a same-s@x spa, etc. - one who can't even be naked around other people of the same gender, I guess one could say, that they might have a hang up. Although the hang up may often be due to body image, etc. (like the German article mentioned earlier, which I found very interesting and which negates the point of view that n@dism has nothing to do with body image, and, which points out that as German waistlines are growing, n@dism is on the decline).

But to say that one frowns on n@dism under what are otherwise normal circumstances, that, to me, is not a hang up. N@dism to me, is beyond the norm. It's outside of acceptable behavior. You mentioned some very good points from an evolutionary and learned point of view - hygiene, bugs, protection, etc. To me, it's just common sense.

Edited by Negin in Grenada