Menu

What are your opinions on n*dism?

I think it's great for people to have that kind of ease and body self-confidence. It is possible to be nude and see nudity without becoming a drooling sex fiend. I think that shame-based sub-cultures of our culture who focus so much on covering everything up are some of the most sex-obsessed people out there. Really. If you want to raise a culture who is thinking abou sex non-stop, that's a sure way to do it. Keep reminding them that their bodies are constant temptations for the continual lust of others who apparently can't control their own thoughts and (possibly) actions. Make sure the shame spiral includes little clinical knowledge of sex and sexuality. It's a recipe for a self-fulfilling prophecy of unhealthy sexuality and self-loathing.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always though it was off the wall crazy. DH and wife walking around in front of others. But both say it isn't like "that". It is the feeling of being free, being yourself, and everyone is on a level playing field. no "OMG, look what she is WEARING" or "She looks FAT in that outfit".

I don't buy it. People are going to be less concerned with who looks fat when they can see every roll? Yeah, ok. We don't have to take our clothes off to grow up and leave high school. Nor will taking them off cause us to grow up and leave high school. If people want to compare and judge, they'll have even more ammo when everything is laid bare.

This is a husband and wife, right? I wonder which one suggested it to the other spouse?

It sounds like it would be a win-win situation for a husband. He gets to look at lots of naked women and he doesn't have to cough up the money for a big wardrobe for his wife. :glare:

Yeah, I see it more beneficial for men. I mean talk your wife into it and you get to see a whole lotta eye candy AND your wife agrees?? ;) Yeah baby!!

:glare:

Sounds chilly. :D I guess you can put on clothes when the temps. dip? Anyway, unless you are an athlete or something, I think people look better in clothes. I know I certainly do.

The cleanliness issue is a big deal to me. If other adults want to do this sort of thing, fine. It's not for me and dh would be motified at the thought. :001_smile:

Denise

I think it's great for people to have that kind of ease and body self-confidence. It is possible to be nude and see nudity without becoming a drooling sex fiend. I think that shame-based sub-cultures of our culture who focus so much on covering everything up are some of the most sex-obsessed people out there. Really. If you want to raise a culture who is thinking abou sex non-stop, that's a sure way to do it. Keep reminding them that their bodies are constant temptations for the continual lust of others who apparently can't control their own thoughts and (possibly) actions. Make sure the shame spiral includes little clinical knowledge of sex and sexuality. It's a recipe for a self-fulfilling prophecy of unhealthy sexuality and self-loathing.

well said! :D

i read all the way through the thread wondering if anyone had said they'd do it (go on a nude cruise/etc)… looks like i'll be the first to say it. Yes, I'd give it a try… although I'd have to go myself because dh would NEVER do it. :laugh:

i read all the way through the thread wondering if anyone had said they'd do it (go on a nude cruise/etc)… looks like i'll be the first to say it. Yes, I'd give it a try… although I'd have to go myself because dh would NEVER do it. :laugh:

Would your dh have a problem with you going alone?

Anyway, unless you are an athlete or something, I think people look better in clothes. I know I certainly do.

For some people, comfort is more important then looking like a super model. I must admit that I don't like the thought that a person has to look a certain way to be allowed to wear, or not wear something.

I liked the post someone made on a different thread that mentioned in a another country some older woman would just go down to the beach on the lunch break and happily undress somewhat to enjoy the good weather. We all come in different shapes and sizes. Let's not worry, or hang on to the idea only a privileged few are allowed to do stuff since they are the only ones that the majority of our current culture feel look good doing it. My 90 year old aunt has as much right to tan naked at our private dock as anyone.

(Mind you if no one is allowed, that is all together different. But I hope that one day people aren't judged so harshly on looks. Old, young, bumpy, wrinkly, we are all people. I have yet to see a "good looking only nudist colony" because hardly anyone would pass muster.)

Anyway, unless you are an athlete or something, I think people look better in clothes. I know I certainly do.

PS. I also certainly look better in clothes. That is unless you like long saggy books that can be used to sing this song:

Do your boobs hang low?

Do they wobble to and fo?

Can you tie them in a knot?

Can you tie them in a bow?

Yeah, most busty women I know *like* the support of a bra.

And those with "leaky pipes" might like the secret extra layer.

I think it's a certain segment of a certain population who embrace stuff like this. I'm just not buying that you have to take off your clothes to stop judging people on how they look. It's also only possible in moderately warm climates --avoid sunburn from the harsh sun, or chill from wind/cold -- clothes do offer protection. I'd ratherwear clothes than drag some ugly old towel around with me to avoid having some weirdo give me crabs and herpes. I've got a heavy enough purse as is, sheesh.

I totally agree with your friends.....in theory.

In reality, however, I am more comfortable in clothes. I wish that I were the sort of person who could just 'let it all hang out', but.....I'm not. :001_huh:

I've never been to a nudist colony or a nudist anything for that matter. I've been skinny-dipping once and it was wonderful!! I have friends who will talk AT LENGTH about how wonderful it is to walk around their own house naked when the have the house to themselves. I don't see the appeal, personally.

Would your dh have a problem with you going alone?

I have no idea ~ and really, I wouldn't *want* to go without him.. on ANY sort of 'vacation'. I'd miss him too much!

I think it's a certain segment of a certain population who embrace stuff like this.

Hmmm. Like… thirty-something homeschooling moms? ;)

[really though…. what "segment" of what "population" are you talking about there? I think you'll find all kinds of different people who enjoy naturist living and/or activities]

I have some close friends who are n*dists. They travel to different locations. Campgrounds, resorts, and cruising.

They say it is the best thing they have ever tried, and love it. They have been doing it for 2 years.

I always though it was off the wall crazy. DH and wife walking around in front of others. But both say it isn't like "that". It is the feeling of being free, being yourself, and everyone is on a level playing field. no "OMG, look what she is WEARING" or "She looks FAT in that outfit".

I was told they now believe that we were taught to wear clothes. We are all born "au naturale". And that people have issues with it because they think of it as a se*ual thing. And to many people are way to hung up on it.

What do you think?

PS. Is this sort of post allowed on here? If not, the moderators may delete if the feel necessary. I just had nobody else to ask.

I bet they do feel "free". :lol: It kind of creeps me out, honestly. I think there was reason that God clothed Adam and Eve. :tongue_smilie:

PS. I also certainly look better in clothes. That is unless you like long saggy books that can be used to sing this song:

Do your boobs hang low?

Do they wobble to and fo?

Can you tie them in a knot?

Can you tie them in a bow?

Can you throw 'em o'er your shoulder like a Continental soldier?

To each their own, but I'm not interested in doing it.

Yeah. There were some nudists at a hippy festival we went to years ago. It was no big deal, and it isn't the reason we haven't been since, but to be honest, I'd rather not see. And prudery aside (coz I'm like that) clothes are better sun protection than sunscreen.

Rosie

Hmmm. Like… thirty-something homeschooling moms? ;)

[really though…. what "segment" of what "population" are you talking about there? I think you'll find all kinds of different people who enjoy naturist living and/or activities]

I meant a mindset segment, the sort who thinks removing restrictions makes something more authentic.

Also what's with the faintly accusatory tone in all this....these conversations always seem to run like -- If you were really comfortable with your body, you'd show it. Well, why do I hqve to prove anything?

Other than the hygiene factor that many have pointed out,

I'm not comfortable with it. I'm way ok with nudity in art, and even nude figure modeling in art lessons. I'm ok with the human body. But I don't want to see someone else's. Just me and hubby. Feels more natural to me. Oh, and the "natives-Nat'l Geo" thing is fine, too. But that's not my culture. Aaand, I totally agree that you can look far more skanky with clothing that is tight, etc, like the PP said.

:iagree:

I was just reading how Germany is losing its n8dists population. The article said that some of the reasons were incoming population (Muslim) and also the growing waistline of the Germans. So it would seem that maybe they are not as "non-judgmental" as they say or at least not in Germany. Otherwise the weight gain of the population would not be such a detterant.

Fatter and fewer German n8dists as numbers dwindle

Very interesting. I happen to believe that there is a certain amount of judgment involved. Let's face it. We weren't born yesterday. Many will judge. And some may have that slightly perverted side also. Let's say it like it is. Sorry one of my pet peeves is when people deny what's quite obviously true.

It sounds like it would be a win-win situation for a husband. He gets to look at lots of naked women and he doesn't have to cough up the money for a big wardrobe for his wife.

:lol: Very well said. :lol:

I think it's great for people to have that kind of ease and body self-confidence. It is possible to be nude and see nudity without becoming a drooling sex fiend.

I agree about ease and body self-confidence. I have confidence to go to a gym or spa and be naked around other women in the locker room while changing, etc. I don't have a problem with nudity in art, etc. However, I honestly think that for most men, seeing nudity is different than it is for us women. Interesting to me how not one single male (at least as far as I can see) has posted here. I would love to hear their perspective. A few here have posted that their husbands would love it. Again, men generally, I think, see nudity in a different way than most women do.

I think that shame-based sub-cultures of our culture who focus so much on covering everything up are some of the most sex-obsessed people out there. Really. If you want to raise a culture who is thinking abou sex non-stop, that's a sure way to do it. Keep reminding them that their bodies are constant temptations for the continual lust of others who apparently can't control their own thoughts and (possibly) actions.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

But I also believe that neither extreme is healthy. I see n*dism as an extreme. I guess I'm a bit prudish. :tongue_smilie: Most in the Caribbean are. Going topless isn't allowed here. Or at least it isn't allowed most of the time. Depending on the beach security guard.

Yeah, I see it more beneficial for men. I mean talk your wife into it and you get to see a whole lotta eye candy AND your wife agrees?? Yeah baby!!

I know. Really :lol:.

I hope that one day people aren't judged so harshly on looks. Old, young, bumpy, wrinkly, we are all people.

Although I fully agree w/you, I don't see that ever happening. Men are extremely visual. Women are visual also, but sadly, horribly competitive. Most cultures that I have come across are shallow and looks-ist. I think it's always been this way. Now, more than ever. I don't see the shallowness and looksism going anywhere fast. It just gets worst and worst.

sidenote: i'm pretty sure i remember reading somewhere that women who are on their periods while going nude simply wear underwear and a skirt or other comfortable bottoms at that time. No big deal.

Way to say - Hey everyone I have my period :D I would prefer the whole world didn't know it :lol:

no "OMG, look what she is WEARING" or "She looks FAT in that outfit".

I was told they now believe that we were taught to wear clothes. We are all born "au naturale". And that people have issues with it because they think of it as a se*ual thing. And to many people are way to hung up on it.

I have no interest in being au naturale in front of anyone (including myself - hide the mirrors, quick!).

That said, I certainly agree that we were taught to wear clothes. And view beastfeeding as an option. And put our children away from us when we sleep. Too many people are certainly way too hung up on n*dity and bodies. I think I am pretty conservative, generally, but I am often left stunned at the level of anxiety issues of the body seem to invoke - things like undressing small children poolside etc. Being on this board has been an eye opener in that regard.

I laughed at "She looks FAT in that outfit", though: surely with no clothes it would just be a shorter sentence / thought - "She looks FAT". :lol:

I believe there was a reason God chose to clothe Adam and Eve in Genesis 3:21.

My opinion based on Genesis 3, Genesis 9 (the passage that deals with Noah's nakedness in front of his sons), and the various modesty verses found throughout Scripture, is that we are to be clothed.

I'm pretty sure that nakedness is not viewed as a positive state anywhere in Scripture EXCEPT for prior to mankind's fall.

I don't do the bible thing and I've been to a music festival in August where pretty much everyone was naked for a week. Loved it!

Then again, I like my body and my DH's body and I think bodies are just cool in general. I've never been to a nudist camp but I don't see anything weird about it if that's your thing.

Everyone in my house strips as soon as they get home so we're all used to it.

It just seems so not practical. A friend of mine who worked at a nudist camp told me that everyone carried around towels so they cold sit down outside.

And what about fluids? Breast milk, periods, just general fluids?

There is a book series by piers Anthony, and the whole planet is like one giant nudist location.

I have the same concerns. Sounds gross to me.

Hmmm. Like… thirty-something homeschooling moms?

I meant a mindset segment, the sort who thinks removing restrictions makes something more authentic.

Also what's with the faintly accusatory tone in all this....these conversations always seem to run like -- If you were really comfortable with your body, you'd show it. Well, why do I hqve to prove anything?

Hmmm. I don't know if I'd agree with the "mindset" thing.. I said earlier in the thread that I'd do it (if the chance presented - we don't have any naturist locations near us nor the funds for a cruise of any sort LOL) but I don't think that I have any notions of "authenticity" … I'm just not bothered by the sight of human bodies, nor by anyone seeing mine. That's not to say that I've *always* felt this way - because I haven't. Not that long ago I'd have prolly said "no way!" because I was a lot more… shy? self conscious? something like that. These days.. don't care! It's just a body - we all have 'em. :D

sidenote: i'm pretty sure i remember reading somewhere that women who are on their periods while going nude simply wear underwear and a skirt or other comfortable bottoms at that time. No big deal.

Way to say - Hey everyone I have my period :D I would prefer the whole world didn't know it :lol:

Hey but people would understand your mood swings without having to be told! :laugh:

I'm pretty sure that nakedness is not viewed as a positive state anywhere in Scripture EXCEPT for prior to mankind's fall.

Except Song of Solomon! That couple was pretty stoked to be naked together, and (if I may be so bold) I think GOD is excited about married couples being naked together too. I think He sees it as a "positive state" for sure!

Except Song of Solomon! That couple was pretty stoked to be naked together, and (if I may be so bold) I think GOD is excited about married couples being naked together too. I think He sees it as a "positive state" for sure!

LOL. True enough. Though I doubt that includes a display for all of us. ;)

I'd like a topless society. I would prefer undies for hygiene reasons, but topless would be fine with me. Another reason for undies or bathing suit bottoms is sand....I grew up by the beach, and you do NOT want sand in certain places. Just sayin...

I believe there was a reason God chose to clothe Adam and Eve in Genesis 3:21.

My opinion based on Genesis 3, Genesis 9 (the passage that deals with Noah's nakedness in front of his sons), and the various modesty verses found throughout Scripture, is that we are to be clothed.

Some of David's nakedness was positive.

Just sayin.

Hubby and wandered down the beach one day while we were on a vacation. After we passed an empty stretch of beach, we noticed a nakey guy, then another, then another.

Same thing happened to me eons ago... when I was younger...

I was so surprised; I didn't even know that beach was there. But I was with a friend, so I had to play it off like it was no big deal and just keep walkin' down the beach. If I had been alone I would have turned right around and went back where I started (the clothing-required beach).

Goodness, I still remember seeing an elderly genteman sunbathing in socks. Just socks. (Why???) And an older couple playing volleyball. (You rarely see elderly couples playing volleyball on the regular beaches.) There were a few people jumping the waves and a few swimmers. There weren't many people, so it was hard to avoid your eyes moving over the beach and briefly settling on the people you *did* see.

Ah well... at least I know what those clothing-optional beaches are all about.

I grew up by the ocean and... sorry... but sand gets there even when you wear a suit!

I have been told (by a uniformed, non specialist) that if you were a suit to the beech you are less likely to get pin worms, or other parasites in your privates.

So my boys always were a nice speedo. I find them much better at keeping out things that should stay out.

I have been told (by a uniformed, non specialist) that if you were a suit to the beech you are less likely to get pin worms, or other parasites in your privates.

So my boys always were a nice speedo. I find them much better at keeping out things that should stay out.

Yeah... umm... IME with little kids who sit in the breakers and dig (and bury) in the sand... the suits *collect* the sand.

And, as far as I've EVER experienced in my life, there are no pin worms or parasites (for people to worry about) at the ocean beach.

And, as far as I've EVER experienced in my life, there are no pin worms or parasites (for people to worry about) at the ocean beach.

There are wherever I've been, maybe because of dogs being allowed on the beach ... I don't know, but I have seen them in beaches. Hence why, I would never, ever sit on a towel on the beach again. Has to be a beach chair. No dry sand and towels for moi.

There are wherever I've been, maybe because of dogs being allowed on the beach ... I don't know, but I have seen them in beaches. Hence why, I would never, ever sit on a towel on the beach again. Has to be a beach chair. No dry sand and towels for moi.

I don't think you can see pinworms (intestinal worms)...

But...

Oh, goodness! I live in the US, near the Atlantic, and dogs are not allowed on the ocean beaches here. (And the tide comes up fairly high, so no parasites would survive anyway.)

I'm so thankful that I don't have to worry about parasites on our beaches.