Menu

What are your opinions on n*dism?

I have some close friends who are n*dists. They travel to different locations. Campgrounds, resorts, and cruising.

They say it is the best thing they have ever tried, and love it. They have been doing it for 2 years.

I always though it was off the wall crazy. DH and wife walking around in front of others. But both say it isn't like "that". It is the feeling of being free, being yourself, and everyone is on a level playing field. no "OMG, look what she is WEARING" or "She looks FAT in that outfit".

I was told they now believe that we were taught to wear clothes. We are all born "au naturale". And that people have issues with it because they think of it as a se*ual thing. And to many people are way to hung up on it.

What do you think?

PS. Is this sort of post allowed on here? If not, the moderators may delete if the feel necessary. I just had nobody else to ask.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just seems so not practical. A friend of mine who worked at a nudist camp told me that everyone carried around towels so they cold sit down outside.

And what about fluids? Breast milk, periods, just general fluids?

There is a book series by piers Anthony, and the whole planet is like one giant nudist location.

Consenting adults and all that.

I've been to mass skinny dipping, and after the first 5 minutes, oh, ho hum. We really are social creatures used to acting in packs. I do have a silly memory of about 50 people playing nude volley ball. Some of them were old-timers in rural south-central MO.

It just seems so not practical. A friend of mine who worked at a nudist camp told me that everyone carried around towels so they cold sit down outside.

And what about fluids? Breast milk, periods, just general fluids?

There is a book series by piers Anthony, and the whole planet is like one giant nudist location.

I wondered about the "periods" as well. Maybe you just wear a sarong?

Towels are carried to sit on for "health" reasons, from what I have been told.

As far as opening up another "observation". I asked about that. It is natural to "look" but there is no "OMG her bOOks are nasty" type thing.

Weird as it may seem, I have far fewer qualms with nudity in such a situation (colony, group, beach, whatever) than I do with skanky clothing.

Blech. I don't know if I'm expressing myself well or not. But, the whole "modesty" thing has less to do with clothing and more to do with attitude, IMO. Like, it's all in the presentation. I think one can present herself, sans any clothing, and have more modesty than a person who struts around in cut off hoochy shorts, showing a thong and a tight tube top.

The body is not dirty to me. It's not a lewd thing. And a nude body, presented frankly and in honest light, is somehow far less offensive to me, than the string bikini that uses the barest of coverings in order to tantalize the senses.

As I said, that probably makes no sense at all. Basically, the body doesn't offend me, itself. It's just classless ways of showing it off that I find distasteful.

I think of cleanliness. No way do I want contact transfer from their private parts on to the furniture and on to my body. Ick. Let's just cover those parts and not transfer germs.

If you are n*de, it is a very strict rule that you sit on your own towel, and carry another towel if you swim.

DH would enjoy that, but I'm not into it. He likes the whole 'feels natural' thing. Not me. I want my support bra and garments that flow over the post-baby fluff that has stuck around these last four years. Plus the whole hygiene thing. Ewww......

But whatever. Just not me. I think people also look much better covered in cloth, but I know there are those who disagree.

Well, there are cultures that wear MUCH less clothing. I'm thinking of National Geographic shows where the men wear a loin cloth, or nothing. The women are topless. They seem quite comfortable. Little kids are comfortable naked. But, little kids are comfortable burping, tooting, and interrupting.

I suppose I do think it's taught, as are most cultural norms and niceties. But, I'm ok with that.:D

Weird as it may seem, I have far fewer qualms with nudity in such a situation (colony, group, beach, whatever) than I do with skanky clothing.

Blech. I don't know if I'm expressing myself well or not. But, the whole "modesty" thing has less to do with clothing and more to do with attitude, IMO. Like, it's all in the presentation. I think one can present herself, sans any clothing, and have more modesty than a person who struts around in cut off hoochy shorts, showing a thong and a tight tube top.

The body is not dirty to me. It's not a lewd thing. And a nude body, presented frankly and in honest light, is somehow far less offensive to me, than the string bikini that uses the barest of coverings in order to tantalize the senses.

As I said, that probably makes no sense at all. Basically, the body doesn't offend me, itself. It's just classless ways of showing it off that I find distasteful.

:iagree:

It seems like the ultimate clothing hang-up, to go totally nude. :D

I'm not comfortable with it. I'm way ok with nudity in art, and even nude figure modeling in art lessons. I'm ok with the human body. But I don't want to see someone else's. Just me and hubby. Feels more natural to me. Oh, and the "natives-Nat'l Geo" thing is fine, too. But that's not my culture. Aaand, I totally agree that you can look far more skanky with clothing that is tight, etc, like the PP said.

Well, I am not sure. But I would think that more germs are spread just by sneezing and shaking someones hand. Or even handling the grocery carts at the store.

There are germs everywhere you go. Maybe they use antibacterial hand cleaner????:lol:

I have no problem with nudity, but neither am I going to go and "be nude" on purpose with others. I have been skinny dipping plenty of times. I grew up skinny dipping on our country property- the whole family did. No big deal- we just didn't wear bathers. People who visited often stripped off too. As an adult there have been plenty of times when we went nude swimming spontaneously for the fun of it- it is fun! Once I found myself with a group of friends at the local beach at night time- that was really fun!

I have swum at a nudist beach once- but I didn't like it because it just attracts people who are actually there to perve. And perving is different from just enjoying being nude. Being nude is never the focus for me- that would feel uncomfortable.

Of course we are taught to wear clothes. We are also taught to use indoor plumbing, floss our teeth and drive safely. Anyone suggesting we do away with any of these?

We didn't always do those things. In fact we were NOT doing any of those things fairly recently. We've been wearing clothing since we were cave dwellers. It's cold when you have no fur. Good thing we're smart.

I think it's fine, but not "for everyone".

It *de*sexualizes persons and situations. I understand that there is less sexual energy, flirting, etc. I know a few nudists and they say the "hygiene" and "courtesy" concerns are not a problem in the nudist community. (In fact, their response reminds me of "our" socialization question.)

No, not for everyone. I just found their response quite interesting when they say it puts "everyone on a level playing field and there is no judgement".

The same could be said for uniforms.

I too find the germ and fluids issues problematic, at a minimum, but it doesn't interest me.

Also very limiting geographically. Can't go ice fishing nude.

I'm more of an exhibitionist than a nudist. A very brief flash while I'm changing clothes in the car instead of just being naked in the car. I'm not "uptight" about the human body in its many many forms, I'd just prefer not to see some of those saggy, baggy forms while I'm eating lunch. And I don't want to inflict my saggy, baggy form on others. That would just be rude.

I don't have a problem with it. You can come across as skanky easier with clothes on than you could naked. And if you are willing to run around naked, you probably have a much healthier personal body image than most people.

We'd never be able to do it, but not for the fact that we'd be nude. I'd be too caught up on the suntan lotion and mosquitoe spray use to ever get to naked issue! LOL!

We wear rash guards when we swim. I'll wear a open button up shirt with a collar over a tank top. I've tucked hankies into my top to cover my cleavage. NONE of that is done out of modesty sake. It's done strictly for sun protection! We are a family of red as a lobster people. We don't do well in the sun. I used to do better, I was always very willing to completely slather myself with sunscreen. In the last few years I've worked very hard to get us away from all the chemicals laying/soaking into our skin.

The thought of covering every bit of us in suntan lotion, or worse, spraying on a can of Off or something is way more frightening to me at this point that hanging out with all my parts 'hanging out'!

I would seriously be grossed out. Not by the human body, but just by the germ factor. I'd be wondering "I really hope that person wiped well enough." And the germs spread by diarrhea can make you pretty sick. And yeah, what in the world do you do about your period? And honestly....women can have discharge at any time of the month, especially near ovulation. What do you do about that? And seeing everyone carrying around towels to sit on....I wouldn't want to touch those things!

As far as opening up another "observation". I asked about that. It is natural to "look" but there is no "OMG her bOOks are nasty" type thing.
I doubt that.

I think it's fine, but not "for everyone".

It *de*sexualizes persons and situations. I understand that there is less sexual energy, flirting, etc. I know a few nudists and they say the "hygiene" and "courtesy" concerns are not a problem in the nudist community. (In fact, their response reminds me of "our" socialization question.)

The same could be said for uniforms.

Yes, and even in uniforms people can get carp for how they look.

In general, in my culture sneezing and coughing isn't a way that many transfer germs. Most people sneeze or cough into a cloth or their shoulder rather than spread it in to the open and let the droplets settle on others.

Yes, imagine all those nude shoulders and elbow pits, shiny with freshly blown noses. Yum.

I was told they now believe that we were taught to wear clothes. We are all born "au naturale". And that people have issues with it because they think of it as a se*ual thing. And to many people are way to hung up on it.

What do you think?

I think people started wearing clothes, because of sin, BUT even from a non-Christian perspective, I think we could say that people evolved to wear clothes as protection again weather, sharp corners, poison ivy and a host of other things. IOW, it would be like saying people were taught to live in a house. Well, yes you could say that, but in reality isn't that a part of the process that has made us so successful as a species?

Hubby and wandered down the beach one day while we were on a vacation. After we passed an empty stretch of beach, we noticed a nakey guy, then another, then another. We saw a huge variety of humans of all sizes and shapes (because there was nowhere to avert your eyes to). We saw surfers and families building sandcastles. We even saw n*ked volleyball. I don't have a problem with n*dity, but there's no way I'd ever want to play n*ked volleyball or watch it.:001_huh:

Interesting responses. I was trying to figure the whole thing out. Of course, I am in the mindset of to each their own. If that is what they enjoy, then that is fine with me.

Lots of good points brought up on both sides.

Thanks.:)

I don't think it should be banned or anything, or that people who do that are all moral deviants :lol: I just think some of their logic is a bit screwy and I think we wear clothes for some really great reasons.

Poison Ivy

Sorry, just the idea.

Blech. Not for me. I may be different but I do not find naked people "fun to look at." I do not get the whole "naked body is an art form" thing and I never will. I like people in clothes. period. Do not want to see anyone naked. I would not find it freeing, but gross :D

I was just reading how Germany is losing its n8dists population. The article said that some of the reasons were incoming population (Muslim) and also the growing waistline of the Germans. So it would seem that maybe they are not as "non-judgmental" as they say or at least not in Germany. Otherwise the weight gain of the population would not be such a detterant.

Fatter and fewer German n8dists as numbers dwindle

I don't think it should be banned or anything, or that people who do that are all moral deviants :lol: I just think some of their logic is a bit screwy and I think we wear clothes for some really great reasons.

Poison Ivy

Sorry, just the idea.

:iagree: I talked about this with my sister once, she was trying to say that the taboo against nudity is entirely a sexual hangup, but I kept trying to tell her that there are WAY more reasons to wear clothing than just that taboo, protection and hygene are the two big ones for me.

Well, God made us naked. So, it doesn't bother me really. That said, it's not like I'm going to be walking around that way myself. In society, I think it's a problem. If a group wants to go off by themselves and get sunburns in the wrong places, I really couldn't care less.

eta: And how does a girl know that the last person who sat in the chair she's sitting in didn't have herpes or something? Yuck. I can't imagine sitting bare where other people just say bare. I think there are some major hygiene issues.

Edited by Sputterduck

I just make sure to wipe any seats I think they've sat on ;)

Really - I don't know. Consenting adults, whatever - but I think with kids over the age of about 3 or 4 - I don't know. Maybe it's my western hang-ups that are the problem.

I could never do it -- because I'm not willing to go without a bra! I wonder how nudists who are on the busty side do it? Do they just let it flop? And as far as volleyball ... HAHAHA.

It doesn't bother me if someone else does it as long as I don't have to sit where they've sat.

As long as they go to places where nudity is allowed and everyone is in agreement with the nudity I don't see a problem. In fact I prefer they do that. I don't need to see hordes of people nude on bikes in the park or in bondage lingerie in a parade. To me that kind of unnecessary display is just attention seeking for it's own sake.

:iagree: I talked about this with my sister once, she was trying to say that the taboo against nudity is entirely a sexual hangup, but I kept trying to tell her that there are WAY more reasons to wear clothing than just that taboo, protection and hygene are the two big ones for me.

:iagree: If it were just sexual hangups then I can't imagine why the societies that were big into orgies would have bothered.

I have some close friends who are n*dists. They travel to different locations. Campgrounds, resorts, and cruising.

They say it is the best thing they have ever tried, and love it. They have been doing it for 2 years.

This is a husband and wife, right? I wonder which one suggested it to the other spouse?

It sounds like it would be a win-win situation for a husband. He gets to look at lots of naked women and he doesn't have to cough up the money for a big wardrobe for his wife. :glare:

It sounds like it would be a win-win situation for a husband. He gets to look at lots of naked women and he doesn't have to cough up the money for a big wardrobe for his wife. :glare:

Yeah, but from what I understand*, it's not the Playboy Mansion out there.

*Male friends who went to a n^de beach when we were younger came back very pro-clothing.

Yeah, but from what I understand*, it's not the Playboy Mansion out there.

*Male friends who went to a n^de beach when we were younger came back very pro-clothing.

:lol::lol::lol: You mean it can have a curative effect?