Menu

? ab ILL -

micheller1

I have a 4, 6, and 7th grader. We did GwG last year. This will be our second year homeschooling. I want all three of them to do ILL. I love the format, everything it covers. I liked GwG last year and so did they but it seemed like it was just busy work. I want something...more if you kwim? So my question is where do I start them?

I know my 4th grader will start at Part 1 (we plan to transition into Progressive Composition when done with ILL for all of them) but what ab the other two? Do I just start at the beginning for them all and with other two just let them keep going. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I plan to do Jensens Grammar, Punctuation and Format Writing in 9th Grade.

Hi, we are currently using ILL and we used GWG last year. We've been using ILL for about two months and honestly, I'm still feeling ambivalent about the switch. I think I was trying to buy something non-consumable, so I wasn't buying the GWG workbooks every year (I have 4 kids). At the 4th grade level, we also do MCT LA, so my 4th grader is doing ILL and MCT. I'm still feeling wishy-washy about that combination.

There are some good things about ILL and maybe I just need more time to get into it. First, there are writing assignments interspersed in the text. My kids always need writing. Second, it's introducing some good stuff - like outlining, what is a paragraph, etc. Third, there's some good grammar exercises in there and instead of filling in the blanks, the kid has to write out all the sentences. Also, it is non-consumable...so this is a huge plus.

If I had to do over, I think I would start both the 3rd grader and 4th grader in ILL. The 3rd grader is in PLL and it's not challenging him (and he's no rocket scientist ;)).

Are you able to look at samples before you buy it? Maybe by this fall, we'll be more used to it and I can give a better review.

Also, your 7th grader might be way more advanced than ILL. But, you'll almost need to look at it to see...

Edited to say: I've always been like a deer in headlights with grammar and spelling. I never feel like I know what I'm doing in those subjects, so take my review with a grain of salt. Lol.

Edited by starrbuck12

OK, so I have to post an update to my reply. :D

After replying to this thread, I talked to the 9 yro and 8 yro about grammar. I asked the 8 yro if he liked PLL or if he wanted to me to just get GWG for him again. He said that he really prefers PLL. :001_huh: That's news to me. I got the impression that he didn't like it, but I guess I was wrong. Hmmmm... So, I guess we're sticking with PLL. I also asked the 9 yro if she was OK with ILL and she said that GWG had been easier for her than ILL. Really?? Sheesh, I'm just really off base. So, I guess we're keeping PLL and ILL.

Shows how much I know about my kids' grammar preferences. :tongue_smilie:

I have both books here if you have any specific questions about them.

I downloaded Advanced Language Lessons and decided to go with that for my 7th grader.

I didn't buy any of it. They are all free downloads on google books. Although I did buy the teachers manual for ILL.

GwG, while they liked it as far as they could like any grammar I guess, seemed like busy work to me. They never really put a whole lot of effort into any of it.

I guess we'll just play it by ear and see where the year takes us. I plan to start my 6th grader at part 3 of ILL and see how she does. I'm not really sure if needs to start at part 1 or not????

I have a K'er as well and he will start PLL in first grade.

And like I said, they'll all do Jensens when they get into the 8th or 9th grade.