Menu

French for Pre-schooler

So, I've got this ridiculous idea, but I'm running with it. My almost 4 yo is absolutely enchanted by the French language. She loves poissonrouge.com, Madeleine, and A Town Called Panic. I've tried to encourage Spanish with a few songs and some episodes of Dora, but it really hasn't captured her the way French has. I always assumed I would start Latin first, like with her sister, and continue on with Spanish later. For some reason it is really throwing me off (maybe I'm more set in my ways than I thought), to do French first, then pick up on Latin later? Can/Will she get many of the same benefits with French as she would doing Latin? With my oldest, we began Latin at 6 yo and for a few of those years it was her only grammar instruction. I'm not expecting the same of French, but I don't want to dismiss or overlook any benefits, but at 4, we just want to play around.

So, any gentle beginner's French? Something with audio, definitely. Any advice from anyone who took a similar path?

When my kids were five and three, they enjoyed Muzzy. It's pricey, but our local library had it. We tried out French, Spanish, German, Italian, and Chinese. They liked the first three.

We eventually picked up German and French on ebay.

They also liked some little picture books by Barron's called "Bilingual First Books." They come in French or spanish and have titles like ' Colors'. I see some on Amazon, but I'm on my phone and haven't the foggiest how to copy the link.

:bigear:

I'm listening in! I have a 4 yo ds and while I'm not a native speaker, I'm fairly fluent in french. I asked about Muzzy not that long ago but as my library doesn't have it and there were so many mixed reviews, I don't think I'll spend my limited dollars on it. The thing that came up the most was playing the french track on DVD your child already knows well. There's computer software with Mia the mouse, but I think it's meant for kids who can read, alhtough the topics aren't complicated and a pschooler could probs do it with someone to read for her until she got the hang of it.

how about singing rhymes & songs in french? You can get a lot of ideas on YouTube

We've been doing this the past few weeks. She just loves it.

When my kids were five and three, they enjoyed Muzzy. It's pricey, but our local library had it. We tried out French, Spanish, German, Italian, and Chinese. They liked the first three.

We eventually picked up German and French on ebay.

They also liked some little picture books by Barron's called "Bilingual First Books." They come in French or spanish and have titles like ' Colors'. I see some on Amazon, but I'm on my phone and haven't the foggiest how to copy the link.

Muzzy is more pricey than I want right now. I'll see if I can find it used somewhere. I will check those Barron's book. Thanks.

DS6 and DS4 have been doing Skoldo French Elementary from Galore Park. It involves lots of songs, colouring and games - they adore it.

Cassy

I had no idea that Galore Park sold elementary French. It looks great. Thanks!

Is anyone familiar with Nallenart?

I have a preschooler, too. I want to do Spanish, but I haven't stuck with it as I need to.

Muzzy is a good choice. Also this dvd from Usborne books (among other books from Usborne):

http://www.myubam.com/ecommerce/details.asp?sid=Y1520&gid=85164923&title=First+Fun+with+French+DVD&sqlwhere=submit%3Dsearch%26search%3Dfrench%2Bdvd

Also look for "First 100 Words in French" from Usborne and "First 1000 Words in French" from Usborne. (Books)

-------------------------------

There is also FlipFlop French. We have the Spanish book, and, again, I have not pushed the language learning as I should, so I can't tell you that we finished the curriculum or an overall evaluation of the program.:001_unsure: Just letting you know what is available.

http://www.flipfloplearning.com/FFF-3-5-1.htm

------------------------------------------------

I also challenge you to think of how your child learned English.

Go through her little plastic animals or her stuffed animals and name them in French, just as you would hold up an octopus and say, "Octopus!" for an infant. There are online language dictionaries to help you with vocabulary and pronunciation.

Play games:

Play Candyland with your child, but say the colors in French rather than English.

Play Hi-Ho Cherry-O or Dominoes, but count in French rather than English.

Play Memory, but identify the pictures in French.

Play Hot and Cold (hide a small toy and say, "You're getting warmer; you're getting colder; etc" to teach hot, cold, more hot, more cold.

---------------

Vocabulary is your friend. Teach a bunch of nouns now. She will be ready to write in French and learn French grammar by age 8.

One tool of Senora Gose (FlipFlop Spanish) is a calendar with a new Spanish word for each day. If a French calendar is not offered on the FlipFlop website, make your own, with words from french storybooks (which you may be able to get from the library or purchase online).

Have you looked at The Easy French? They have a Junior version that is pretty light and fun for children. I think learning a modern language intuitively is a bit different than learning Latin gramatically. I wouldn't want to substitute one for the other, learning the grammar of such a regular language like Latin is really great for the brain, not to mention the vocab!

I have a preschooler, too. I want to do Spanish, but I haven't stuck with it as I need to.

Muzzy is a good choice. Also this dvd from Usborne books (among other books from Usborne):

http://www.myubam.com/ecommerce/details.asp?sid=Y1520&gid=85164923&title=First+Fun+with+French+DVD&sqlwhere=submit%3Dsearch%26search%3Dfrench%2Bdvd

Also look for "First 100 Words in French" from Usborne and "First 1000 Words in French" from Usborne. (Books)

-------------------------------

There is also FlipFlop French. We have the Spanish book, and, again, I have not pushed the language learning as I should, so I can't tell you that we finished the curriculum or an overall evaluation of the program.:001_unsure: Just letting you know what is available.

http://www.flipfloplearning.com/FFF-3-5-1.htm

------------------------------------------------

Thanks. I will check these out.

You could try Little Pim too. I haven't seen it for myself, yet, but it's something else to look into.

Rosie

They have this on Netflix, so I put in my queue. That way I can see if it's worth buying. Thanks!

Have you looked at The Easy French? They have a Junior version that is pretty light and fun for children. I think learning a modern language intuitively is a bit different than learning Latin gramatically. I wouldn't want to substitute one for the other, learning the grammar of such a regular language like Latin is really great for the brain, not to mention the vocab!

Never heard of it, but I shall check it out. Thanks.

My preschoolers like Bonjour Les Amis (3 videos from the library).

We enjoy this one (though even having been fluent 10 years ago I had to write most out and translate)

http://www.amazon.com/Songs-French-Children-Various-Artists/dp/B00005CEP5/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1311734993&sr=8-7

and this one is great for French vocab

http://www.simplesongs.com/