Menu

13 year old, what grade

would you put a child who struggles some academically in some areas?

Technically he is 8th grade next year, but up until now we kind of just told him he was the grade below so that he and his younger brother could do things academically together.

His struggles are in language arts, which is where I think it is critical to be closer to grade level.

Does it matter? It will very soon. He will need to do high school and have it "count" for the state and for college, which he does want to go to.

I know if he were in the PS he would be in resource for a few classes.....so that makes me think he should just be in his appropriate grade and do some remedial work.

But he is also immature in some ways and an extra year wouldn't hurt him.

Of course, even if I let him call himself 8th next year, we could take 5 years if necessary to finish high school.

He keeps asking me and I know out in the *real world* it matters.....it matters for church functions which group he goes to and it matters for things like ROTC (which he hasn't decided about yet) and the like.

What have you done?

Dawn

I would say 7th as well. You can always change that later, but if it fits best where he is... My son is working a grade or 2 below peers academically but is socially closer to his age. For outside activities I usually put him with the grade level where he will be either close to the oldest or right in the middle age wise.

Mine is 13 and he is an 8th grader. I would prefer to call him 7th to give him more time to "catch-up" but he isn't willing. We've re-centered everyone in the grade they should be in this year, so everyone is where they would be by age despite where they have been in the past or where they fall academically.

My ds will begin 7th in August 2013, then turn 13 September 1. So for pretty much his entire 7th grade academic year, he will be 13. We are redshirting this year (5th) for exactly the purpose of giving him an extra year of middle school.

One good thing about NC's homeschool laws is that they don't track what grade kids are in (they don't even know how many are homeschooled, just how many families!) We'll be able to re-evaluate at any time up until the first time he takes the PSAT. Where he is at the end of this coming school year and what it looks like he wants to do in the future will help us determine that.

My son will be 14 at the end of September. He will be starting school for the first time this fall and has a diagnosis of pervasive developmental disorder (autistic spectrum). The school psychologist and therapists have recommended that we put him in 8th grade, in spite of the fact that I feel he is behind academically. I am trusting that their judgment is better than mine given that they have been through this with many other kids before. We'll see...

Michelle