Menu

Atlier VS. Barry Stebbing

Ding! Ding! :)

So anyone ever used both or seen both or whatnot and able to give me a run down?

We are using Barry Stebbing (Feed My Sheep) right now. My daughter loves Art and loves drawing and painting.

How is Atlier different?

Atelier's lessons last longer and are more project oriented.

For instance, Feed My Sheep introduces topics in short, specific lessons. It focuses on one skill at a time. Are you using the DVD? The lecture is about 5-8 minutes and most lessons are completed in about 30 minutes unless the child gets really into it does more on his or her own. The lecture is just Stebbing speaking directly to the student.

Atelier is like attending an art class with other children. The lesson lasts about an hour (maybe 20-30 min on video) The teacher speaks directly to the camera (your student) but other kids in the class are working on the same project. The camera follows their progress so your child can see other kids' completed work.

I like them both. I enjoyed my DD's finished work from Atelier and she created a nice portfolio of lessons. But Stebbing does a good job of laying a foundation of drawing. I don't think Atelier focuses much on drawing. My DD completed Level 4 several years ago and she learned a lot about painting. At age 9 she could very confidently mix ANY color she wanted using red, yellow, blue, white and black. She learned this skill from Atelier and it's nice to not have to buy multiple bottles of paint - she can mix any shade of any color she wants.