Menu

LiveScribe and Engineering Students - Input please! :-)

Janice in NJ

Hi.

Nan and Sharon (and others) have mentioned these.

I was hoping you could follow up with more info. How has the pen worked out after a couple of years of use? Was it a neat gadget that fell by the wayside? Or does it get used regularly?

Do your students use it with Ever Note?

If not, which apps sync well with this?

I'm looking at this for ds, a freshman engineering student who is going to need a boost when it comes to organization. Just looking for a bit of insurance for keeping that scholarship. ;)

Also wondering if there is a better way to do this. Looking back on my own experiences over 20 years ago, I would have given nearly anything for one of these in my calc, physics, and chem courses. It would have been nearly priceless in those upper level engineering courses where we all scribbled madly with little-to-no time to actually LISTEN to what the prof was saying. BUT maybe the tablet world offers a better option. Have you found a versatile app that allows text, drawing, and linked audio? It seems to me that there wouldn't be enough definition drawing on a tablet. But maybe I'm wrong - is there a "pen" that allows for precision? AND the linked audio sounds over-the-top valuable. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it doesn't really work that well. Is it a pipe-dream to hope that this thing works as advertised?

Ds won't be allowed to use a calculator in Calc I. Has anyone found that profs object to the pen? After all, it does have a built in calculator. Do profs object to being recorded?

Thanks for any input!

Peace,

Janice

I haven't used it, but I will say the following.

Some professors object to being recorded; some do not.

If calculators aren't allowed, it is probably for quizzes and exams; he should have another writing implement available for that. Calculators are usually allowed on homework. I would not let a student use a pen containing a calculator for graded activities.

Ds won't be allowed to use a calculator in Calc I. Has anyone found that profs object to the pen? After all, it does have a built in calculator.

If calculators are not allowed, he should not use a pen containing a calculator because this can be construed as cheating.

the instructor has no way of monitoring whether the student uses the calculator function.

Do profs object to being recorded?

He needs to ASK each instructor whether it would be OK to record them. I would assume that most profs are OK with that - but (aside from any legal aspect about which I am not sure), it is a matter of common courtesy to not record somebody without their knowledge.

I have always given students permission to record my classes, but I expect to be informed.