Menu

Hey! Did we know that Ree has a Food Network show?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, how do we know she pays someone to homeschool for her? Is this written somewhere?

Someone sent me a link to one of the anti-PW websites that I browsed through briefly, and it's common knowledge there. I don't know how they know, but they know quite a bit, down to how much they get paid for keeping mustangs on their land. Apparently the government pays them something to the tune of a million bucks a year to throw out a few bales of hay in the winter. Something like that. I don't know, you'd have to go to the actual website for details.

Also, she pays someone to write the homeschool section of her blog as well. Doesn't seem like she's all that into it.

:iagree: Some people seriously cannot be happy for someone that "makes good". They just can't.

:001_huh: I don't think anyone here has attacked her or anything of that nature. We're perfectly within our rights to say we don't like the blog. That doesn't exactly equate to hoping daily for the woman's downfall.

Wow!!

People are being butts, she has addressed the whole "glossing over" thing on her blog before.

I like her, I like her blog. I am from Oklahoma and I am delighted to see it captured so well.

Good for her, she is a clever lady. I love some of her recipes.

So what if the recipes are copied, she SAYS what is copied on the blog. The way she makes lasagna is the same way my mom (who is from Oklahoma) makes it, with cottage cheese. I freaking love my lasagna like that but I am allergic to dairy (mope)

I probably wouldn't share everything on my blog either (if I had a blog) can you imagine sharing it all?

"I got in a fight with my husband today, I must be starting my period, wow my periods are BAD!!"

"I pooped a lot today, I think I ate too much veggies and hummus"

"All I need for a good night's sleep is a vibrator and a benadryl"

I mean really, some things don't need to be shared.

DevAdv again, about the site being "fake". Here are 2 examples of what makes people angry.

Ex. 1 PW had a post recently about bringing donuts to the crew who were out working the animals. There was a picture of a bowl of Krispy Kreme doughnuts and the text read something like 'heat on a cookie sheet for 10 minutes at 300 degrees.' But the pictures shows pristine Krispy Kreme doughnuts. There is NO WAY those donuts were heated or the chocolate frosting would have melted right off.

Is it a big deal in the scheme of things? To me, not really. To others, it is just more evidence that what is on the blog and what really happens are 2 different things.

Well... Did she say she cooked the donuts from scratch or something? When serving Krispy Kremes at home, esp after a long drive from the Krispy Kreme store, that's a great way to warm them back up. I've never had the frosting melt off.

Wow!!

People are being butts, she has addressed the whole "glossing over" thing on her blog before.

I like her, I like her blog. I am from Oklahoma and I am delighted to see it captured so well.

So what if the recipes are copied, she SAYS what is copied on the blog. The way she makes lasagna is the same way my mom (who is from Oklahoma) makes it, with cottage cheese. I freaking love my lasagna like that but I am allergic to dairy (mope)

I probably wouldn't share everything on my blog either (if I had a blog) can you imagine sharing it all?

"I got in a fight with my husband today, I must be starting my period, wow my periods are BAD!!"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I can't tell you how hard I just laughed.

Well... Did she say she cooked the donuts from scratch or something? When serving Krispy Kremes at home, esp after a long drive from the Krispy Kreme store, that's a great way to warm them back up. I've never had the frosting melt off.

There was one thing I remember reading about that sort of irked me... apparently she'd said at one point (I think it was during a cooking demo or something) that when she makes a casserole, she likes to make a double batch and drop one off at the local food shelf. Only, food shelves aren't allowed to take food like that for a variety of reasons, and anyone who's ever donated knows that. I don't know, that one bugged me.

Someone sent me a link to one of the anti-PW websites that I browsed through briefly, and it's common knowledge there. I don't know how they know, but they know quite a bit, down to how much they get paid for keeping mustangs on their land. Apparently the government pays them something to the tune of a million bucks a year to throw out a few bales of hay in the winter. Something like that. I don't know, you'd have to go to the actual website for details.

Also, she pays someone to write the homeschool section of her blog as well. Doesn't seem like she's all that into it.

And why would you think that antiPW blogs would be spouting truths? Someone who would go so far so as to start a blog only to dis someone else is probably not okay in the head.

And why would you think that antiPW blogs would be spouting truths? Someone who would go so far so as to start a blog only to dis someone else is probably not okay in the head.

I got the impression it was more that they found out a few things that bothered them so much, they wanted to let everyone know, and when they realized there were that many people in agreement with them, it just sort of went from there.

There was one thing I remember reading about that sort of irked me... apparently she'd said at one point (I think it was during a cooking demo or something) that when she makes a casserole, she likes to make a double batch and drop one off at the local food shelf. Only, food shelves aren't allowed to take food like that for a variety of reasons, and anyone who's ever donated knows that. I don't know, that one bugged me.

Odd, our Good Shepherd house does. They particularly like casseroles because some of them can be frozen. Also our local Interfaith group that houses homeless families accept foods like that.

I guess it depends on the area. Many times we've dropped hot food off from a church meal that we had left over or cooked more on purpose and it was always gratefully accepted. Maybe it is different in the area she is in.

ETA: If I could afford it I would hire tutors to help my children as well. I certainly don't blame her for that. I haven't looked at the Anti blogs because I really think it's odd that someone would put so much effort into someone they purportedly can't stand.

Odd, our Good Shepherd house does. They particularly like casseroles because some of them can be frozen. Also our local Interfaith group that houses homeless families accept foods like that.

I guess it depends on the area. Many times we've dropped hot food off from a church meal that we had left over or cooked more on purpose and it was always gratefully accepted. Maybe it is different in the area she is in.

Might depend on what kind of food shelf it is, too. Government-funded places might have stricter laws due to foodborne illness. I know that none of them around here take things like casseroles, because you just have no way of knowing if the person left it on the counter for six or seven hours after it came out of the oven.

ETA: If I could afford it I would hire tutors to help my children as well. I certainly don't blame her for that. I haven't looked at the Anti blogs because I really think it's odd that someone would put so much effort into someone they purportedly can't stand.

:iagree:

I've been able to do this, too.

Meh. I like her recipes, love the butter and fat.

Her blog is only slightly interesting to me because we do the same things. Haying, working cattle, kids driving trucks and riding horses. We aren't as big a scale as she is but it's the same. I'm thinking of looking into the mustangs, they are a gold mine.

I understand her pov. Ranching is hard work.

She's good at marketing herself. What's wrong with that? I enjoy it as fiction, or at least semi fiction.

Btw, I've hired a tutor before. I can't speak Spanish so I found someone who could.

Edited by Remudamom

About the Wild Horses

While searching for info about the horses, I came across the "anti-PW blog" that keeps getting references. WOW! Talk about a stalker! I can't imagine having enough time or mental energy to spend that much time on personal attacks of another person.

Then again, maybe she is fabulously wealthy and pays people to do everything for her so that she has time to right nasty stuff about Ree, her husband, and his family.:lol::tongue_smilie:

And, as for the homeschooling - it seems that Ree has a nanny. It also seems that she still homeschools, at least according to her blog last March. But then again, it may all be part of the marketing, right?;)

ETA: I don't read her blog. I don't own her book. I only know Ree from here in the past. However, all this makes me want to subscribe to her blog and buy her book. My dh (who is the foodie in the house) plans to watch her show. :lol:

Edited by Renee in FL

Wow, seriously, is there that much animosity toward her?

Ok, 1. With what she has to do in a day (meaning ANY mom), apart from just being a Mom and homeschooling, how do you think she keeps the blogs up? OF COURSE she has to pay someone to do it! the thing has to keep running and she can't do it all. That's called DELEGATION and people with businesses do it so that they can have a life.

2. Pictures are taken when the food looks good. No one wants to see it when it's gotten warmed up and the glaze is running all over. That doesn't make for a good picture. It would go against the focus of the blog/business to take crappy food pictures, no?

3. Who the Bleep cares WHERE they got thier $? What business is it of anyone's? How does it negate her success as a cook and writer?

4. When people get picayune about other people's success it sounds like sour grapes. Just say'n. Being happy for people enables the universe to send happiness and good will your way.

5. I would have a nanny too if I were in her shoes. This way she doesn't have to send the kids to public school and she knows the kids are home, safe, getting schooled/whatnot, while she can run a business and still have time to be a mom. If I were to work I'd have to get a nanny as I wouldn't be sending my kids to school. Dh has life insurance on me that is triple his so that if anything happened to me he could make sure the kids were still homeschooled. Those are her priorities and she's doing what she has to do to keep her focus on the important things. We are no one to judge.

Edited by justamouse

Wow!!

Sis,

If you ever do start a blog, I am so going to read it. I want to know which kind of vibrator and exactly how that hummus hit your digestive system in more detail, please. :D:D

The absolute best thing about Ree/PW is her attitude and while I've only been reading her blog since the second year it was up, it sounds like she's had that positive funny spin on life for a very long time. As far as I'm concerned, people like that deserve all the good they receive in life, both what they earn themselves and through the rewards of that good attitude.

If she wanted to be a crab about her life she could, lots of women with money and a lot of work in rural areas do. But she's made it fun, funny and her own.

I live a similar life to hers too, sans money, and while sometimes it tweaks to see her beautiful feed truck when my going-to-town truck is older and crappier, that's just me having a bad day. Most of the time she reminds me of the fun positive side of homeschooling ranch kids in the country.

Good on her-karma isn't always a ...

If I could organize myself enough to get back to blogging AND knew Ree, I'd be begging her for tips on how to promote it and make it successful.

I didn't know her here, I showed up long after her.

I'd love to have her mentor me. :001_smile:

Wow!!

People are being butts, she has addressed the whole "glossing over" thing on her blog before...

So what if the recipes are copied, she SAYS what is copied on the blog... I freaking love my lasagna like that but I am allergic to dairy (mope)

Despite many attempts, I was never able to make a good lasagna until I tried her recipe. Now, people rave over my lasagna and ask for the recipe. Her cinnamon rolls are also better than any other recipe I've tried. I don't care where she gets them, I'm thankful for a good recipe that's shared. What good is it if no-one knows about it.

Martha Stewart stole all of her recipes from Cooperative Extension...

I got the impression it was more that they found out a few things that bothered them so much, they wanted to let everyone know, and when they realized there were that many people in agreement with them, it just sort of went from there.

I think it's more a matter of 1) jealousy, and 2) trying to ride to their own fame and fortune on her coat-tails.

When it comes to reliable sources of information about Ree, I don't lend much credibility to obsessive people who stage PW photo shoot reenactments with Barbie dolls.

The fact I'm clueless about what you're talking about...is that a good thing or a bad thing? :lol:

I think it's fantastic that Ree has been so successful. Good for her!

Her blog isn't really my thing (I've just briefly checked it out because of a couple WTM threads that have mentioned her since I joined the boards), but it looks like it's very well done. Obviously, she is talented and has found a very profitable market for what she does.

Even if she just started her blog for fun (I don't know how it started - I got here long after she left), it's now obviously a business. She provides information and entertainment. Looks like people are (literally!) eating it up. I wouldn't expect her type of blog to get into the minutiae of daily life - nor would I expect it to be especially revealing and let people in on her imperfections. Of course she has them - we all do. The fact that she apparently "glosses over" them doesn't bother me one bit. And the fact that she's hired staff to handle several aspects of her life doesn't bother me either. More power to her.

I'm just trying to get my blog off the ground, and if anything, I find her success inspiring. :)

I remember Ree from the boards and she was a lot of fun. I got to meet her (on one of her book tours) and she was just as sweet and fun in person as I'd known her to be here. I wish her the best and am happy for her success.

Ria

Hey Friend! Long time no see!

I have nothing personal against her. I don't read her blog but have tried one of her recipes with great success. However, I watched the episode of Throw Down with Bobby Flay that she was on and I have to admit I found her manner very off putting and don't think I could watch a whole show. I will give it a try in solidarity of another homeschool mom making good!!

WOW! I only made it to page 2 and I am flabbergasted over the hate of Ree. :glare::glare::glare:

I remember her from the old board and she was a real sweetie!! She is REAL!!!!!!!

I can't read any more of this thread but just wanted to show support of PW in my post here.

Holly

:iagree: If I want to watch the fabulously wealthy pretending to be real people, I'll go find some celebrity news website or something.

But that's just it. She did "keep it real." She was one of us in the "olden days" of the old boards, just another homeschooling mom with some interesting history and the hard work of ranch life.

She and her family all work really hard. She's got a ton of energy. She's found a niche with the big hearty country cooking that she does and her quirky sense of humor and her frank style of blogging about life on the ranch. She probably doesn't do it anymore but she used to post herself singing Ethel Merman and say dopey things about herself and her brother and doing laundry with lots of manure.

I don't bow at her feet and rarely go to her blog anymore, but I've enjoyed seeing her photo essays over the years, reading about the pets/kids/animals and listening to the little audio posts of her kids talking, etc.

Maybe she does edit more these days now that things are taking off, but gee, that's natural as more people are paying attention. I'd say they've earned their success. And with that, unfortunately, comes the naysayers and the hangers on and the disgruntled former friends.

After all, isn't Ree the one who started Book Samaritan to gather up and distribute curriculum for homeschoolers down on their luck?

A decade ago she was just a regular ol' gal like the rest of us, trying to raise her kids and homeschool, etc., just funnier. Good for them.

:001_smile:

I remember Ree from the boards and she was a lot of fun. I got to meet her (on one of her book tours) and she was just as sweet and fun in person as I'd known her to be here. I wish her the best and am happy for her success.

Ria

:seeya: Long time no see! I've missed you.

The ones around here do... They have church groups that make all the food for the day and take it down and sometimes stay and serve it. They are always excited if we bring extra because they freeze it and keep it on hand for when they have more people than expected.

We usually make some kind of casserole, or bbq, and then a couple of big Texas sheet cakes.

I think this is a regional thing, because I know it happens here in VA.

As another 'old timer' I remember laughing at her posts and the early days of her blog when I came HERE (the WTM boards) for support and good old-fashioned venting.

I can't believe the hatred in some of this thread's posts--and the judging--UGG--it makes me ill.

I follow her blog on occasion- it gives me warm fuzzies.

As another 'old timer' I remember laughing at her posts and the early days of her blog when I came HERE (the WTM boards) for support and good old-fashioned venting.

I can't believe the hatred in some of this thread's posts--and the judging--UGG--it makes me ill.

I follow her blog on occasion- it gives me warm fuzzies.

I did buy her book - Black Heels to Tractor Wheels - and really enjoyed it. I like her writing style and since I also love to tell funny family stories I found it - and her blog - a great read. And I love her Bassets too. I have one and he and Charlie could be twins.

I don't understand the sniping either. Either you like her or you don't. My mother cannot. stand. Beth Moore's Bible studies just because she doesn't like Beth's bubbly attitude. I like it. To each their own but My Mom doesn't run around bashing Beth Moore - she just doesn't do those Bible studies.

Amen to that. Her book collection organization is great. She's probably a dear in real life, but she bores me to tears, her recipes are basically copies, nothing new. She sounds awful in interviews, and she uses WAY too much Photoshop in her pics. However-she's very adept and savvy with marketing herself, and that is all that matters to some. Stalkers are disgusting, but I get a kick out of some of the alternative blogs. Nothing personal, tho, so no need to get the knickers in a twist. I feel basically the same about Paula Deen and Rachel Ray.

That's about it, eh? I dislike all of those marketed blogs. I don't read blogs for the clever ad placements. I'm sure she's a nice person, but who can tell what's real from all the gloss and schmooze? IMO, Ree and the blogs she emulates are all schtick and schill.

But, hey... obviously people are buying it, so if it floats their boat, there's another new show for them. :D

Eh, I can't muster up enough energy to care one way or the other. LOL If this is what she's wanted to do with her life, mozel tov to her. I don't care about it any more than I'd care about Rachael Ray's pre-foodie life. I've used her lasagna recipe, and I've tweaked it to make it my own. I think that's the only recipe I've used of hers, that I can remember.