Menu

Hey! Did we know that Ree has a Food Network show?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose that gives her stalker something else to stew in jealousy.

Good for Ree.

She has a stalker? <shudder> How awful. I hope OK has good anti-stalking laws.

I know there are a few anti-PW blogs out there but I didn't know about a stalker.

I actually thought the whole Lodge makeover was in hopes of starting a cooking show.

She has a stalker? <shudder> How awful. I hope OK has good anti-stalking laws.

I know there are a few anti-PW blogs out there but I didn't know about a stalker.

I actually thought the whole Lodge makeover was in hopes of starting a cooking show.

I think it's pretty clear that Ree's entire persona, blog, reno, everything was a very cleverly marketed plan to launch her into stardom. Good for her for achieving her goals but I ditched the site when I realized how faux it all was. I want to read about real people and their real lives. That's not what Pioneer Woman is.

...I want to read about real people and their real lives. That's not what Pioneer Woman is.

She was around here (old board) for ages before she had her blog, etc. I'm pretty sure she is who she is. :) Yes, smart and cleverly marketed, but I don't think it's "fake".

I think it's pretty clear that Ree's entire persona, blog, reno, everything was a very cleverly marketed plan to launch her into stardom. Good for her for achieving her goals but I ditched the site when I realized how faux it all was. I want to read about real people and their real lives. That's not what Pioneer Woman is.

Amen to that. Her book collection organization is great. She's probably a dear in real life, but she bores me to tears, her recipes are basically copies, nothing new. She sounds awful in interviews, and she uses WAY too much Photoshop in her pics. However-she's very adept and savvy with marketing herself, and that is all that matters to some. Stalkers are disgusting, but I get a kick out of some of the alternative blogs. Nothing personal, tho, so no need to get the knickers in a twist. I feel basically the same about Paula Deen and Rachel Ray.

:iagree:And since she's so busy marketing herself, she's not doing the homeschooling herself. Honestly, if her cookbook and the show recipes are anything like what's on her blog, then no thanks. I do love butter and bacon, but in moderation. Many of her recipes are so grease-laden they make me gag.

I have nothing against her personally. I don't even know her. And I don't begrudge anyone fame and fortune if that's what they want and can get it. However, there really isn't any "Keepin' it Real" going on. Her photos aren't real (Photoshop), she isn't doing the homeschooling, probably has a housekeeper, and her recipes aren't original. If she would own up to that it might be different, but I'll pass on the Ree Fan Club membership.

I am looking forward to this. The comments over at the FN site are awful. She seems to inspire the same quality of vitriol that the Duggars do. I don't understand the hate towards her. Seems many are just jealous that she is good at marketing herself and her skills. Good for her and more power to her!

:iagree:And since she's so busy marketing herself, she's not doing the homeschooling herself. Honestly, if her cookbook and the show recipes are anything like what's on her blog, then no thanks. I do love butter and bacon, but in moderation. Many of her recipes are so grease-laden they make me gag.

I have nothing against her personally. I don't even know her. And I don't begrudge anyone fame and fortune if that's what they want and can get it. However, there really isn't any "Keepin' it Real" going on. Her photos aren't real (Photoshop), she isn't doing the homeschooling, probably has a housekeeper, and her recipes aren't original. If she would own up to that it might be different, but I'll pass on the Ree Fan Club membership.

:iagree: If I want to watch the fabulously wealthy pretending to be real people, I'll go find some celebrity news website or something.

People are always jealous over others' successes, espeially when they know that they cant pull off anything like that.

Im sure Ree's blog and life has been glossed up for the business but so what? I admire her work ethic and her ability to make herself known. She is a marketting rock star and obviously what she is offering really connected with/ inspired and spoke to many people.

I don't think it's jealously, so much as that people get annoyed by the way she glosses over so much of her life. As others have said, they are extremely wealthy, and she pays people to do things like homeschooling for her. I couldn't care less about how successful her blog is, but I personally can't stand reading it because it's obviously not a true depiction of how they live, and I prefer to read blogs that are far more "real."

People are always jealous over others' successes, espeially when they know that they cant pull off anything like that.

Im sure Ree's blog and life has been glossed up for the business but so what? I admire her work ethic and her ability to make herself known. She is a marketting rock star and obviously what she is offering really connected with/ inspired and spoke to many people.

:iagree:

And so what if she glosses over details of her life? Who said that anyone is obligated to share specific details of their lives to anyone?

And so what if she glosses over details of her life? Who said that anyone is obligated to share specific details of their lives to anyone?

:iagree: I think the main thing for her is that she is an entertainer and/or a writer, and she has put those talents to work quite successfully for many years. I think most people would want to keep some of their personal life separate from their public one. I say good for her!

Being Devil's advocate for a moment:

People who dislike the PW blog seem to do so because the blog claims to be "keepin' it real" when so much seems to be not real b/c of glossing over and omitting facets of the life at the ranch.

I am not saying I agree with this but this is the attitude I've seen.

For me, unsinkable: I think blogging, particularly mommy-blogging is a Pandora's Box that bloggers open at their peril.

Sorry, I should have been a bit more clear about the stalker quip. I was referring to those alternative blogs which are dedicated to spite aimed at PW. I am not a fan or follower of PW because her gig is not in my realm of interests but I wish her well and don't really care if she happens to be wealthy. She did homeschool once and just because she isn't any longer is no reason to dismiss her.

She seems to inspire the same quality of vitriol that the Duggars do. I don't understand the hate towards her. Seems many are just jealous that she is good at marketing herself and her skills. Good for her and more power to her!

All I really know is the old Ree who used to come around and chat. Once her blog format changed, I stopped following just because the multiple pages was too much for me.

I don't know too much more than that. Ree was very personable and friendly on this forum and I never felt she was pretending to be something she wasn't while here.

I hope she's living the life she wants and I wish her the best.

:iagree: I think the main thing for her is that she is an entertainer and/or a writer, and she has put those talents to work quite successfully for many years. I think most people would want to keep some of their personal life separate from their public one. I say good for her!

:iagree: I have read her blog since she posted about it on here. I think she's funny. I'm glad she keeps her private life private. I hope I get to watch her show online, I don't have the food network channel.

DevAdv again, about the site being "fake". Here are 2 examples of what makes people angry.

Ex. 1 PW had a post recently about bringing donuts to the crew who were out working the animals. There was a picture of a bowl of Krispy Kreme doughnuts and the text read something like 'heat on a cookie sheet for 10 minutes at 300 degrees.' But the pictures shows pristine Krispy Kreme doughnuts. There is NO WAY those donuts were heated or the chocolate frosting would have melted right off.

Is it a big deal in the scheme of things? To me, not really. To others, it is just more evidence that what is on the blog and what really happens are 2 different things.

Ex. 2: Posts using the word retarded to describe PW's brother. Years ago, there were a few posts on blog that used that word and defended the use of it. Now they're gone or changed. Did she have a change of heart about using that word? Or was the site just cleaned up to make it more commercial and less offensive?

(I am just glad she removed the word. I don't care why or that there is no explanation.)

Like I said: These are some of the things that bother people. I am relaying the thoughts, not advocating them or defending them.

Edited by unsinkable

All I really know is the old Ree who used to come around and chat. Once her blog format changed, I stopped following just because the multiple pages was too much for me.

I don't know too much more than that. Ree was very personable and friendly on this forum and I never felt she was pretending to be something she wasn't while here.

Aw! Good for her! :) (Though I still miss her pre-blog days when she had time to hang out with us!)

I completely agree. Besides, she is a real person, doing good things in the real world, despite the gloss and fame. I wish her continued success, and I'm not just saying that because I love butter. ;)

I don't think it's jealously, so much as that people get annoyed by the way she glosses over so much of her life. As others have said, they are extremely wealthy, and she pays people to do things like homeschooling for her. I couldn't care less about how successful her blog is, but I personally can't stand reading it because it's obviously not a true depiction of how they live, and I prefer to read blogs that are far more "real."

wow - i guess i don't spend enough time on her blog and just go pick out recipes for things i like ...i'm so disappointed to find out that she's all fake...go figure...:(

guess there are no superwomen...i should stop trying eh???

wow - i guess i don't spend enough time on her blog and just go pick out recipes for things i like ...i'm so disappointed to find out that she's all fake...go figure...:(

guess there are no superwomen...i should stop trying eh???

Well, if it makes you feel better, I doubt even her biggest detractors would say she is all fake. :D

I see you are in Louisiana. Have you ever seen this blog? I really like it! I am just a northern girl, so I am not sure how authentic it would be for you.

Deep South Dish

I really like her weekend cocktails section! :D

Edited by unsinkable

Well, if it makes you feel better, I doubt even her biggest detractors would say she is all fake. :D

I see you are in Louisiana. Have you ever seen this blog? I really like it! I am just a northern girl, so I am not sure how authentic it would be for you.

Deep South Dish

I really like her weekend cocktails section! :D

well it was a little sarcasm mixed it in to that post haha

i really love her blog but I wish there was more truth to it!

Thanks for that link. I'm always on the look out for great recipes. I'm not naturally a great cook.

That's why i love this board - so much to learn and gain.

Ditto. Congrats to Ree! :-)

well it was a little sarcasm mixed it in to that post haha

i really love her blog but I wish there was more truth to it!

Thanks for that link. I'm always on the look out for great recipes. I'm not naturally a great cook.

That's why i love this board - so much to learn and gain.

I'd love to know what you think of the deep dish south recipes.

I had a friend in college from LA and she'd cook us red beans & rice & cornbread, chicken creole and jambalaya in our dorm basement! She was amazing.

I remember Ree from the boards and she was a lot of fun. I got to meet her (on one of her book tours) and she was just as sweet and fun in person as I'd known her to be here. I wish her the best and am happy for her success.

Ria

Being Devil's advocate for a moment:

People who dislike the PW blog seem to do so because the blog claims to be "keepin' it real" when so much seems to be not real b/c of glossing over and omitting facets of the life at the ranch.

I am not saying I agree with this but this is the attitude I've seen.

For me, unsinkable: I think blogging, particularly mommy-blogging is a Pandora's Box that bloggers open at their peril.

I think it's two-fold.

For one the readers who buy into the fascade of SuperMom feel like failures.

And then there is "SuperMom" who feels the driving need to either:

A.) Keep up appearances which is hard on her and her family.

or

B.) Be in servitude to her blog/audience.

I know that when I was running a WAHM shop (Etsy & Hyena), trying to keep up my blog, I was constantly driven by the "hits" on the blog, the search engine, etc. I wasn't staying plugged in to what I needed to be doing at that time (almost 24/7 care & keeping of my home & family) and yet my blog and shop were all about "nurturing your family & home." What started out with the best of intentions ended up making the real me a little false. KWIM? :001_huh:

Keep in mind I'm talking about the general mommy blog culture, not necessarily PNW as I've not seen it.

I'd be willing to bet you're seeing the same thing go on in a lot of the popular mommy blogs, this pioneer blog - though I've NOT visited, etc. We all have beasts - whether it's wanting others to think well of us (pride), wanting to be popular (self glory), wanting to profit financially off of marketing self (greed OR pride), etc. EVERY single person has a beast of burden. It's whether we starve that beast or feed it that determines how much it grows. It's certainly NOT whether any of us have a weakness. We all do.

I remember Ree from the boards and she was a lot of fun. I got to meet her (on one of her book tours) and she was just as sweet and fun in person as I'd known her to be here. I wish her the best and am happy for her success.

Ria

Wow, Ria, good to see you around:001_smile: Hope all is going well!!!

Lisa

I'm sorry, but I laughed when I read this. If I had kept up with my blog about being a single mom who home schools would you really want posts that talks about my need for sex and how I'm not getting any? You'd love to read the intricate dance of dating in a rural area? How about when I just loose it and scream and rant about the dishes for the umpteenth time?

The general public does not want reality, they want what they think reality should be. Prime example - "reality television".

Do *you* want to post about what life really is for you? Do you tell your dearest friends the full truth all the time? Yeah, I didn't think so,

I'm sorry, but I laughed when I read this. If I had kept up with my blog about being a single mom who home schools would you really want posts that talks about my need for sex and how I'm not getting any? You'd love to read the intricate dance of dating in a rural area? How about when I just loose it and scream and rant about the dishes for the umpteenth time?

The general public does not want reality, they want what they think reality should be. Prime example - "reality television".

Do *you* want to post about what life really is for you? Do you tell your dearest friends the full truth all the time? Yeah, I didn't think so,

Actually your blog sounds interesting and certainly resonates with many parts of my life. I'm just sayin':lol: But really and truly I have found that blogs that are full of hot air bore me to tears. I have a few I read that have truly touched me and changed my thinking about some things.

Just curious, how do we know she pays someone to homeschool for her? Is this written somewhere?

Just curious, how do we know she pays someone to homeschool for her? Is this written somewhere?

I am curious about this as well.

Admittedly, I don't read her blog every day, and often not even once each week, so I certainly could have easily missed such a thing.

Wahoooo! Yay, Ree. Those who know her from the old boards know where she started from. Those were the days when she would tell me to get off the boards and do my laundry because "my kids need clean underwear." She was always fun. I've got nothing but respect for all that she has done.

Message to Ree:

Go do your thing! I hope you make a million dollars! Because I know you'll be generous to those in need and you'll hire people who will be blessed to work with you and your family.

Much aloha,

~Jo

Message to Ree:

Go do your thing! I hope you make a million dollars! Because I know you'll be generous to those in need and you'll hire people who will be blessed to work with you and your family.

Much aloha,

~Jo

:)

Edited by Crissy

Wahoooo! Yay, Ree. Those who know her from the old boards know where she started from. Those were the days when she would tell me to get off the boards and do my laundry because "my kids need clean underwear." She was always fun. I've got nothing but respect for all that she has done.

Message to Ree:

Much aloha,

~Jo

Go, Ree!

Message to Ree:

Much aloha,

~Jo

You'll be happy to know that your hopes for her have probably come true! :)

I'm sure she has surpassed a million already. She said in her New Yorker article that the blog by itself had revenue of a "solid million" in 2010.

She is certainly a success story.

Message to Ree:

Much aloha,

~Jo

I wasn't on the old boards but I love the way she writes. She's got a gift and I'm glad she's using it.

Edited by pdalley

Message to Ree:

Much aloha,

~Jo

:iagree: I've seen a lot of personal attacks on her in this thread. I personally don't care if she was wealthy to start with, has a housekeeper, or hires a whole slew of teachers to homeschool for her. GOOD FOR HER! If I were wealthy I'd hire a housekeeper, a nanny, a cook - whatever I could afford.

I'll always remember Ree with the Wii when she first got it - anyone else remember the Guitar Hero posts?:lol:

Actually your blog sounds interesting and certainly resonates with many parts of my life. I'm just sayin':lol: But really and truly I have found that blogs that are full of hot air bore me to tears. I have a few I read that have truly touched me and changed my thinking about some things.

Hey, LOVE your name ; )

Yeah, my blog. Back in the day it was popular and I had no idea why. Maybe people like a train wreck? It was a little before, during and a bit after my husband abandoned my daughter and I. Maybe I should bring it back to life? Only this time there would be laughter! That and the joke that is my sex life.

I guess my point in my knee-jerk reaction was that none of us show everything all the time online. It's one of the beauties of the Internet - we can be whomever we define as ourselves.

:iagree: I've seen a lot of personal attacks on her in this thread. I personally don't care if she was wealthy to start with, has a housekeeper, or hires a whole slew of teachers to homeschool for her. GOOD FOR HER! If I were wealthy I'd hire a housekeeper, a nanny, a cook - whatever I could afford.

I'll always remember Ree with the Wii when she first got it - anyone else remember the Guitar Hero posts?:lol:

:iagree: Some people seriously cannot be happy for someone that "makes good". They just can't.